Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Need advice on paint correction lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Need advice on paint correction lighting

Dear Pros:

Need advice on a flashlight-type paint correction light:
  • Minimum lumens output to be able to clearly see fine scratches in white paint.
  • LED vs xenon vs any other light source.
  • Many manufacturers do not state lumens output. How do you know if it will be bright enough for white?
  • Brands to avoid due to reliability or short-life issues.
Thank you in advance!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
Hey - What ended up really useful for me is the LED 3 pack from Costco. Seems to be the perfect output where I don't even use halogens any more. Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Painters like the 3M sun gun. They go for around $300, have excellent color corrected CRI bulbs, and mimic natural sun light. It only stays on for about 45-90 seconds and is fan cooled. I don't know what detailers use.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I get a light I bought from autogeek today... 30 dollars, I figuired I d try it because I didn t want to spend the $$$ on the sun gun. I like you also have white which hides everything well.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
As I said, I have many different lights, but nothing shows imperfections especially very fine marring like LED. I use the sun gun sometimes, but when working on a black car, you want LED

Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
just unpacked the Brinkmann from autogeek( I ve seen it other places too) put it on my cream white Porsche and it did reveal marks I could only see in the sun before.... I ll have to work with it before I can comment further.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Chardonet,

You're smarter than I am for asking this question, as I recently spent several hours deciding what polishes and pads to use to do a medium correction on my car only to find, after I had washed the entire car and clayed the paint, that I had a hard time seeing my work. And of course it was cloudy outside so I couldn't even get a good reflection from sunlight. Thankfully, my car is yellow so the remaining imperfections don't show that much but I definitely underestimated the need for proper lighting.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
used my brinkman 2 LED light... I found it brought out the swirls and fine marks which could only be seen in sunlight. Also found when checking a section I just worked that if I shut down the overhead lights and put the LED on that section that it really showed my final result in removing those marks. Once I realized what it took to get the swirls out and was happy with my pad and polishes I did sections one a a time and then checked each section with the light after I was done.