Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

A quick wash and wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
A quick wash and wax

I feel like hitting my head against the wall for not trying this product a long time ago. Our van was in pretty bad shape, due to many short trips in the last few months.

As you can see the van needed some TLC. So last night I spent some time to give it a good wash. It has been a while since the car was waxed, so there was no protection on the car, the water was just sitting on the paint but I just couldn't leave it like that. In general, the paint is in very good shape, but it felt very dry after the van was dried. I thought, let me see how EXPRESS WAX performs. I had an unopened bottle. Perfect! Shook it up, took a Micro Fiber applicator and applied it to the whole car. Went back to the starting point and wiped the residue off. Applied it to the windows as well, because I noticed how slick it felt even on the windows.

I was very happy with the result. The paint feels very slick, look very glossy and wet. Application is a breeze. Spreads very evenly, comes off even easier. Doesn't streak, which is a common concern with many spray wax products. I even applied it to the bumpers and side view mirrors. Express Wax doesn't stain.The best part? Took me only 7 minutes to apply and remove.

So if you want a product, that is quick and easy to apply and looks beautiful, a bottle of EXPRESS WAX should be in your stash. Highly recommended.

My Process Was:
1 - rinse
2 - 3D Yellow Degreaser on wheels/tires
3 - 3D Bug Remover on the hood and front of the car
4 - 3D Pink Car Soap
5 - 3D Trim Care Gel on tires

Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Oddball is infamous around these parts
Can you get this in stores? or only online?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
So let me understand, you work for 3D and you are telling us how much you like it and you wish you tried it before? Is this an ad or a personal experience ? Sounds like both. I am not sure why but I feel like this line is so pushed on evey detailing forum. Autopia.org is like a 3d jones town. I am not saying these products are bad please don't get me wrong. I have never tried them. I just want the members here that may not be detailers to be misled by the poster or me.

These tactics have turned me off to the whole line. And I am sorry if this post is out of line, I would just want someone to tell me if I was unfamiliar.

And yes I know 3d owns Autopia.org bit forums are places to get information and should be somewhat open. To many 3d guys pushing stuff on new people to the industry.

Last edited by JSF721; 08-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSF721
So let me understand, you work for 3D and you are telling us how much you like it and you wish you tried it before? Is this an ad or a personal experience ? Sounds like both. I am not sure why but I feel like this line is so pushed on evey detailing forum. Autopia.org is like a 3d jones town. I am not saying these products are bad please don't get me wrong. I have never tried them. I just want the members here that may not be detailers to be misled by the poster or me.

These tactics have turned me off to the whole line. And I am sorry if this post is out of line, I would just want someone to tell me if I was unfamiliar.

And yes I know 3d owns Autopia.org bit forums are places to get information and should be somewhat open. To many 3d guys pushing stuff on new people to the industry.
Exactly. A vendor that doesn't use their own product?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 PM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
At lease post a pic of a car likely to be found on this forum. The second I saw the Sienna, I called BS. With all due respect. Wash a Pcar with it and post the pics, then the level of effort makes it all good. ;0)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor
1 - Yes a personal experience. What is so unusual about this post?

I started working for 3D in mid May. Used their HD line since august of 2009.

Had a gallon of OCW I purchased a couple of years ago - nice product, but finicky - streaks if the weather is not perfect. Zaino Z8 - if that product is not fresh, it will also streak. So I kind of gave up on spray waxes, until I asked 3D for a bottle to try.

Easier to use than the other 2 combined and looks as good. Nice and glossy.

2 - 3D/HD "PUSHED"?

It is good to hear that people are being introduced to the line, but I am not aware that the line is being pushed. And "on every detailing forum"? Really?

Wow! That is news to me. A good news, but who is doing the pushing?

I am the only employee of 3D that frequents the forums. We sponsor 4 forums. And we have autopia.

I sincerely find it interesting that you have an issue with 3D, yet 99% of what is pushed day in and day out is Meguiar's, Menzerna, etc...

Sorry, if my style of writing is pushing your buttons. First and foremost I am a detailer, not a salesman. I love to detail and get exited if I find something that really works.

3 -
To many 3d guys pushing stuff on new people to the industry
Again, what do you mean by that? Too many? I hardly ever see us mentioned.

However, there is nothing wrong with new people having the choice to use something different from what is always being "pushed"

Products that DO NOT hide, don't dust, work in the sun, trim friendly, non oily, so you can actually wipe the residue off with ease and give more of a wet look. I think that newcomers deserve to have as many choices as possible.

I hope my reply cleared things up for you.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by djantlive
Exactly. A vendor that doesn't use their own product?
How funny - for years I was accused to be a 3D employee because I replaced all my detailing chemicals with the 3D line. Now that is

Not sure what you do for a living, but I am very good at what I do. In fact so good, that until now, since may 15 to be exact (5 days a week I sit behind the computer screen and educate the public about detailing) I didn't have the time to try all of 3D's offerings. (I have 2 more products to try) Simply too busy. Not a bad thing. So if you make fun of me because of that, so be it. However you are miss informed, as I use what I sell. I don't come on forums telling you about products that I have never tried personally.

BTW, do you really believe that the sales guys at the biggest vendor for example tried everything before they post them on the forums?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by socalbd
At lease post a pic of a car likely to be found on this forum. The second I saw the Sienna, I called BS. With all due respect. Wash a Pcar with it and post the pics, then the level of effort makes it all good. ;0)
As a sponsor of the site, I didn't know that I had to post a specific car to make something believable.

I always try EVERY NEW PRODUCT on our cars, not on yours - I hope that you appreciate that about me.

You do realize that Porsche paint is nothing special right?

In any case - here is what I do as a detailer when I get paid for it.

Will you now believe in HD UNO, HD POXY?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...on-detail.html

Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor
PS: I am in LA once a month for 5 days or so working with 3D, you are more than welcome to come by for a demonstration. Let me know. No amount of BS is going to beat actual personal experience.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tom@3dproducts
1 - Yes a personal experience. What is so unusual about this post?

I started working for 3D in mid May. Used their HD line since august of 2009.

Had a gallon of OCW I purchased a couple of years ago - nice product, but finicky - streaks if the weather is not perfect. Zaino Z8 - if that product is not fresh, it will also streak. So I kind of gave up on spray waxes, until I asked 3D for a bottle to try.

Easier to use than the other 2 combined and looks as good. Nice and glossy.

2 - 3D/HD "PUSHED"?

It is good to hear that people are being introduced to the line, but I am not aware that the line is being pushed. And "on every detailing forum"? Really?

Wow! That is news to me. A good news, but who is doing the pushing?

I am the only employee of 3D that frequents the forums. We sponsor 4 forums. And we have autopia.

I sincerely find it interesting that you have an issue with 3D, yet 99% of what is pushed day in and day out is Meguiar's, Menzerna, etc...

Sorry, if my style of writing is pushing your buttons. First and foremost I am a detailer, not a salesman. I love to detail and get exited if I find something that really works.

3 -

Again, what do you mean by that? Too many? I hardly ever see us mentioned.

However, there is nothing wrong with new people having the choice to use something different from what is always being "pushed"

Products that DO NOT hide, don't dust, work in the sun, trim friendly, non oily, so you can actually wipe the residue off with ease and give more of a wet look. I think that newcomers deserve to have as many choices as possible.

I hope my reply cleared things up for you.
I was 100% honest in everything I said and I prefaced it by saying that I never used any of the products. I don't know of they are good, great of bad. I can tell you that I get a bad feeling the way I have seen it pushed.

I also see that every time anyone has a negative thing to say about a product from 3d a response like the one above ensues. My favorite recently was the review where Gary Dean (i think that's who wrote it) thought the new DA machine was too loud. He may have had some other things he did love about it. He got so beaten into submission on the forum that he changed his tune and redacted his opinion he got pretty called out for it as well I can only imagine the off forum conversations that took place. Too much of the above makes me leary of the line. Again, my opinion. I don't begrudge you a living and it is not/was not a personal attack.

I still have that bad feeling and this thread only solidifies my opinion-sorry.

Btw I never mind the type of vehicle that you showcase the product on persoally. I am about results. True paint systems differ. I started in this hobby of mine with a 1980 caddy Seville diesel with turtle wax paste wax and some t shirts. There was no such thing a microfiber back then!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor
I appreciate your honesty, but I still don't get what I did wrong. If it is my style of writing, well, that is just me. If you look at my posts on autopia, they are all like that after august of 2009.

3D had zero influence on what Garry said in his original or second review. To think otherwise is nuts about both parties.

Our products are very good. We actually make our own products, right there in LA. They are not relabeled generic products. In fact, you would be surprised the companies we make products for (private label) that are so highly spoken of.

Anyway

Here is my car after a wash, clay and EXPRESS WAX - SAME TREATMENT AS THE VAN. The product looks fantastic as you can see.

Have a good day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/7779198060/http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/7779198060/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/thomasdekany/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/7779177092/http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/7779177092/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/thomasdekany/, on Flickr

I was 100% honest in everything I said and I prefaced it by saying that I never used any of the products. I don't know of they are good, great of bad. I can tell you that I get a bad feeling the way I have seen it pushed.

I also see that every time anyone has a negative thing to say about a product from 3d a response like the one above ensues. My favorite recently was the review where Gary Dean (i think that's who wrote it) thought the new DA machine was too loud. He may have had some other things he did love about it. He got so beaten into submission on the forum that he changed his tune and redacted his opinion he got pretty called out for it as well I can only imagine the off forum conversations that took place. Too much of the above makes me leary of the line. Again, my opinion. I don't begrudge you a living and it is not/was not a personal attack.

I still have that bad feeling and this thread only solidifies my opinion-sorry.

Btw I never mind the type of vehicle that you showcase the product on persoally. I am about results. True paint systems differ. I started in this hobby of mine with a 1980 caddy Seville diesel with turtle wax paste wax and some t shirts. There was no such thing a microfiber back then!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
Now, you showed a nice Jetta...and VW owns Porsche now...so we're all good.

Sometimes...(other) vendors go over board, but you didn't, so consider the relationship reset. Love the local aspect.

You should talk to the PCAOC about coming down to an event and showcasing your gear. I'm not sure what their process is, but lots of folks interested in taking care of their cars.

Cheers!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor
Perfect! Thank you.

I will let 3D know about PCAOC. I know around Santa Clarita every friday there is a car show/get together and 3D is their.

Now, you showed a nice Jetta...and VW owns Porsche now...so we're all good.

Sometimes...(other) vendors go over board, but you didn't, so consider the relationship reset. Love the local aspect.

You should talk to the PCAOC about coming down to an event and showcasing your gear. I'm not sure what their process is, but lots of folks interested in taking care of their cars.

Cheers!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Your car looks good and I believe that it looks just as good in full sun right. *Just kidding. I am a serious amateur detailer trying to get better. Just sold my black car for a white one to get some free time. Black is not a color it is a full time job.

Not saying Gary Dean Was influenced by 3d for what he wrote the first time but the flames he got from the 3d guys made him recant his opinion-IMHO. *After that performance, In my mind he has zero credibility as a product reviewer. *I would hope that people post honest opinions on forums so that if I buy the product I know reasonably what to expect. It just seems to me that the 3d message is pushed too hard and it turns me off. Personal opinion again.

The products I try are those that independent guys use on professional details over and over again and are not affiliated with the line. If they are affiliated with a line as long as they are not pushing the products I can deal with it although I am more skeptical. For example Scottwax and optimum. It is just more tolerable to me because he does not hawk it in every post he writes. A great reference would be to get a credible guy in the industry who owes nothing to 3D to try and like the line. You need to be careful who you affiliate with because if you choose the wrong guy it can backfire. *A good review from a bad representative is worse than no review at all. If the line is that good and you say and 3D make products for other well respected names it should be easy to grow ithe 3D line without the hard sell, I would think.

This is all my opinion and you don't know me at all. Maybe I have no clue what I am talking about but maybe I do? *Just take it as a guy who represents Joe non pro detailer who surfs the boards looking for better detailing goop and know slightly more than the average guy on a detailing forum like this one. just consider my opinion. I was not even going to respond further but thought perhaps I was out of line and too rough on you personally for how I feel about the 3D line.

By the way I don't sell detailing chemicals so I am not competition.

Good luck with your business both the detailing and product sales.

Originally Posted by Tom@3dproducts
I appreciate your honesty, but I still don't get what I did wrong. If it is my style of writing, well, that is just me. If you look at my posts on autopia, they are all like that after august of 2009.

3D had zero influence on what Garry said in his original or second review. To think otherwise is nuts about both parties.

Our products are very good. We actually make our own products, right there in LA. They are not relabeled generic products. In fact, you would be surprised the companies we make products for (private label) that are so highly spoken of.

Anyway

Here is my car after a wash, clay and EXPRESS WAX - SAME TREATMENT AS THE VAN. The product looks fantastic as you can see.

Have a good day.

P8130196 by savingspaces33, on Flickr

P8130244 by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Last edited by JSF721; 08-14-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor
Going from a black car to a white car = someone very smart!

I know Garry personally, and no "3D guys" can change his mind. As it turns out, there are some inconsistencies from machine to machine. I have 2 of them, and they are not "loud" compared to the other units, but they sound a bit different. After all you are a getting more torque.

Garry is a salesman, but he is selling Garry Dean

The products are being used by many top detailers, including Scottwax - for example he loves HD POLISH.

Another thing that you don't know, (speaking in general) is if the top detailer you have in mind that you would trust maybe getting his detailing products for free, that you see him using on every detail. I learned so much in the last 3 months about the detailing industry - it is a business just like any other.
Remember I was a regular pro detailer until may 15, when I took this job. Before that, I used many different products like most do, but the first time I ued HD UNO and HD POXY, I was hooked. (august of 2009)

Here was a compound that corrected without dusting (I hate dust) and I could also use the same polish to polish and finish. Poxy was a wax that looked as good to my eyes as anything I have tried in the past. So I was and am 3D's biggest fan. Always paid for the products.

3D has been around for 20 years and is extremely successful - the HD line counts for less than 1% of its revenue, so it isn't like we have to "make" it in a certain amount of time or 3D is in trouble.

I don't think we "push" the products, but if you use something day in and day out with excellent results, and someone posts on our own forum that it doesn't work at all, you have to ask yourself, what is the intention of that poster? I can't blame the product, if the product works for everyone else. So it is usually the user that is inexperienced, but those guys usually PM us or contact 3D and we help them make the adjustments. The ones vocal on forums are"usually" not innocent guys -UNFORTUNATELY.

Your car looks good and I believe that it looks just as good in full sun right. *Just kidding. I am a serious amateur detailer trying to get better. Just sold my black car for a white one to get some free time. Black is not a color it is a full time job.

Not saying Gary Dean Was influenced by 3d for what he wrote the first time but the flames he got from the 3d guys made him recant his opinion-IMHO. *After that performance, In my mind he has zero credibility as a product reviewer. *I would hope that people post honest opinions on forums so that if I buy the product I know reasonably what to expect. It just seems to me that the 3d message is pushed too hard and it turns me off. Personal opinion again.

The products I try are those that independent guys use on professional details over and over again and are not affiliated with the line. If they are affiliated with a line as long as they are not pushing the products I can deal with it although I am more skeptical. For example Scottwax and optimum. It is just more tolerable to me because he does not hawk it in every post he writes. A great reference would be to get a credible guy in the industry who owes nothing to 3D to try and like the line. You need to be careful who you affiliate with because if you choose the wrong guy it can backfire. *A good review from a bad representative is worse than no review at all. If the line is that good and you say and 3D make products for other well respected names it should be easy to grow ithe 3D line without the hard sell, I would think.

This is all my opinion and you don't know me at all. Maybe I have no clue what I am talking about but maybe I do? *Just take it as a guy who represents Joe non pro detailer who surfs the boards looking for better detailing goop and know slightly more than the average guy on a detailing forum like this one. just consider my opinion. I was not even going to respond further but thought perhaps I was out of line and too rough on you personally for how I feel about the 3D line.

By the way I don't sell detailing chemicals so I am not competition.

Good luck with your business both the detailing and product sales.