Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Powdercoated wheels streaky and stained because of degreaser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM
jpohl402 is infamous around these partsjpohl402 is infamous around these parts
Powdercoated wheels streaky and stained because of degreaser

Got my wheels done quite a while ago.
I have since learned (& heard) only to use soap & water on them.
I previously used to spray them with degreaser to loosen all my AMG's brake dust - exactly as I had done for years in past with the silver factory wheels.
Needless to say, they have been stained and streaky from (I assume) the harsh chemicals and degreasing agents.
The damage is done now (and has been for quite some time - long before I heard no cleaning agents on them).... can they be fixed anymore or is it better to just have them re-powdercoated ?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Pictures....what cleaner did you use? Is it a matte or glossy powder coat?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM
They are semi-gloss... between matte and full shine

BTW: Was pretty hard to accurately capture damage on photographs. It looks a little different in pics then it does to the eye, but photo problem also not caused by lack of light/dusk-time (though that didn't help much either...)

Wheels almost look like have water spots in the photos - but it's not that....
I know this because the car itself has never been hit with hard water from sprinkler or needed anything buffed off.

The finish is truly stained, all 4 wheels & basically every inch of them. Stains are not raised or rough, you can't feel the markings with finger or nail like you often can with water spots on paint. The wheels are actually still pretty smooth. It almost appears like multiple large runs in most areas (think when a car is painted but the paint drips) - I assume this is from the degreaser running down the wheel after being sprayed.
Also, the wheels appear much duller than they used to be, almost like a matte now. There is hardly sheen/shine left anymore.
NOTE the center caps. Though chipped, they used to be virtually the same color (though since plastic they were a BIT glossier I will admit!)

Hell, it may be from something else - not just degreaser, but it's the only thing that comes to my mind....
Wheels were cleaned just this afternoon with soap, water & elbow grease to the best of ability. Nothing changed....
Thanks fellas.

Attached Images      
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure if you have anything like this, but a paint cleanser would be worth a try. You may have just etched the coating and a light polishing may bring it back. Not saying it'll work 100%, but worth a try. Otherwise, you'll probably have to re-powder them. Try using a safe wheel cleaner, like P21S Gel, next time

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ner/Categories

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Degreasers are usually formulated with aggressive chemicals in order to cut through the grease and grime. Most are too harsh to be used on wheel surfaces; especially if they are sprayed onto a hot surface or allowed to dry

From the photos you have provided you’ll probably need to re-powder coat them. Try this at your own risk-

Stained Wheel Surface
This type of surface damage usually entails refinishing. However the following product and procedure has been found in some cases, to improve the appearance of acid / alkali stained wheel surfaces; be cognizant that in some instances you may only achieve a < 50% improvement and in some more.For wheels that have milky or hazy staining caused by these types of chemicals try the following: Use caution with chrome wheel finishes as the plating is very thin and using harsh abrasives could remove it.
1. Wash the wheels (See Note 1) thoroughly using clean water and soap or detergent and then flood rinse the wheel surface with clean flowing water.
2. Dry the wheels completely.
3. Using medium pressure, apply 3M™ Chrome and Metal Polish # 39527 suitable for chrome, stainless steel, brass,bronze or copper(See Note 2) with a 3M™ delicate duty scuff pad (White) its equivalent to 4000 grit finishing paper or clean terry cloth towel. Applying the polish may diminish the staining.
4. When dry, buff off the polish with a clean micro fibre towel.
5. Repeat application of the Polish until satisfied with the results. If continued applications fail to improve the appearance further discontinue use (See Note 3).
This procedure will improve the appearance of the wheels and may, with repeated applications, restore the finish dramatically. For wheels that exhibit spotting from road chemicals the above procedure may marginally improve the condition but will not restore the finish or remove the pitting. In this type of staining the wheel finish has actually been removed in spots and no manner of cleaning will restore the finish.
Notes
1. DO NOT attempt to clean hot wheels surfaces; allow cooling down time, otherwise you may cause structural damage to the wheels and cause the rotors and/or callipers to warp, making them inoperative

2. THE 3M polish required for this procedure contains an extremely aggressive cleaner. The wheel surfaces must be clean prior to application to avoid scratches. This cleaner will reduce the coating thickness and if used incorrectly may remove the surface finish entirely.

3. Begin with a small section of the wheel and with light pressure buff off polish and examine results. ONLY apply with sufficient pressure and time to remove enough staining that you are satisfied with the results. Some wheels may be stained to the extent that you may only achieve a < 50% improvement while others may be able to be restored to the original lustre. In all instances; only apply until the results are satisfactory.
Information SourceGeneral Motors (GM) Customer Service

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
OK guys - got the wheels about 90-95% better.

I assume they are,
but are products like
"Wheel Wax" OR
"Wolfgang Metallwerk Concours Metal Sealant"

safe for black wheels ? thanks
(Ive only used those on aluminum and chrome wheels)

Last edited by jpohl402; 09-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM
casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
i use wheel wax on my black wheels. works like a charm

Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
fesster is infamous around these parts
jpohl402- how did you get them back to how they were? Did you follow the procedure above or something else? Thanks in advance

Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Also don't wash them when they are hot.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fesster
jpohl402- how did you get them back to how they were? Did you follow the procedure above or something else? Thanks in advance
Unfortunately detailing forums don’t work like that; feedback (and indeed thanks for info provided) is almost never forthcoming. Not that anyone expects thanks but an update on wither the suggestion solved the poster problem or an alternative solution was successful would be greatly appreciated ( and we could ALL learn from it....

end of rant J