Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Polishing After Opti-Coat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Polishing After Opti-Coat?

Peeps, so I had my detailer do a 2 step polish and Opti-coat on my new - yes new black XKR. That was 3 months ago. I now can already see the fine spiderweb scratches. Do the average person the car looks great. But when you've paid $1k and saw flawless paint under halogen lights etc and now you see fine scratches in what was supposed to eliminate the need for polishing AND to see them so soon it's very frustrating. I've only used microfiber towels etc.

This got me wondering if I bought into a gimmick and will still need to polish and wax the car every 3 months afterall!

1) I was told that the fine scratches are actually in the Opti-coat and not the paint yet. So my Opti-coat investment won't just be gone with a light polish. Is this true?

2) How should I go about getting back the glass finish I started with? Hand polish with something like Klasse?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Couple things...

Opti- Coat/ Guard is NOT a force field. It does not prevent things like scratches and swirl marks, and is not marketed to. It simply reduces the potential for marring.

A $1,000 detail with Opti- Coat should have included some instruction on how to properly maintain the finish. If you are seeing swirl marks in the finish within 3 months then something is wrong with your technique. Just because you're using microfiber towels and other top of the line products, does not mean your technique is correct.

If you need to polish the paint every 3 months then something is definitely wrong.

1. Its possible the scratches are in the Opti Coat and not the paint. But polishing the coating will remove some, if not all the Opti Coat. FYI, Opti- Guard is actually more concentrated than Opti- Coat, thus it provides a thicker layer.

2. I wouldn't use anything stronger than Poli- Seal

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Dan1, these types of scratches usually are the result of an incorrect washing / drying techniqe or the application of a quick detailer with a faulty towel.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
Right! Need to learn to properly care for black paint. What is your process right now?

Try to post some pictures as well - sun pictures of the hood or trunk for example

Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Can you describe how you are maintaining the car?

Who is washing it how?

Are you wiping the finish down after driving it? With what towel and what Quick detailer?

Perhaps the we can help you avoid this in the future. Opticoat is not a gimick and I personally have it on 1 vehicle and am going to be applying it to another in the near future.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Here's a major tip....

When washing the car... don't use too much soap, a proper concentration is paramount. Otherwise the acidity of the soap will eat away the layer of wax.

Second, dry the car with a leaf blower. Chamois and micro-fibers will cause swirls.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MTV
Here's a major tip....

When washing the car... don't use too much soap, a proper concentration is paramount. Otherwise the acidity of the soap will eat away the layer of wax.

Second, dry the car with a leaf blower. Chamois and micro-fibers will cause swirls.
What soap are you using that is acidic? Most soaps used for maintenance washes have a pH between 7- 9. Regardless, Opti Coat cannot be removed by soap.

Drying a car with a leaf blower is a great idea. However, using a high quality microfiber towel properly will not scratch paint.

Last edited by Dan1; 09-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Another questions would be to find out what polishes, pads, and steps were done first to eliminate the swirls in the paint as part of the original detail. It might be possible, not 100%, that the original swirls may have been filled, not legitimately removed.

Your washing and wiping technique would be the next in line of diagnosis. What wash mitt are you using? How are you washing? How are you drying? etc. Someone mentioned you don't want to use too much soap as it's acidic...I don't agree with that statement. Soaps are not acidic and the soap actually suspends dirt particle so it can be rinsed off. So follow the label instructions on the soap bottle.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Another questions would be to find out what polishes, pads, and steps were done first to eliminate the swirls in the paint as part of the original detail. It might be possible, not 100%, that the original swirls may have been filled, not legitimately removed.
If that's the case then the Opti- Coat would fail as there can be no oils on the surface.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Your washing and wiping technique would be the next in line of diagnosis. What wash mitt are you using? How are you washing? How are you drying? etc. Someone mentioned you don't want to use too much soap as it's acidic...I don't agree with that statement. Soaps are not acidic and the soap actually suspends dirt particle so it can be rinsed off. So follow the label instructions on the soap bottle.
Using a high concentration of soap will strip wax. That is guaranteed.

Everybody knows that....

Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MTV

Everybody knows that....
What LSP do you use? Maybe it is your wax that is the issue

Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MTV

Everybody knows that....
I believe the statement I made was to follow manufacturer recommendation.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
dallasguy is infamous around these parts
Who did you opti-coat?

Originally Posted by Evoking
Peeps, so I had my detailer do a 2 step polish and Opti-coat on my new - yes new black XKR. That was 3 months ago. I now can already see the fine spiderweb scratches. Do the average person the car looks great. But when you've paid $1k and saw flawless paint under halogen lights etc and now you see fine scratches in what was supposed to eliminate the need for polishing AND to see them so soon it's very frustrating. I've only used microfiber towels etc.

This got me wondering if I bought into a gimmick and will still need to polish and wax the car every 3 months afterall!

1) I was told that the fine scratches are actually in the Opti-coat and not the paint yet. So my Opti-coat investment won't just be gone with a light polish. Is this true?

2) How should I go about getting back the glass finish I started with? Hand polish with something like Klasse?

I was just curious who did your opti-coat? I assume it was in Dallas? I'm in Dallas and looking for someone who knows what they're doing to do mine. Of course it sounds like yours may not have held up to well, would you recommend this detailer?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
tdekany is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dallasguy
I was just curious who did your opti-coat? I assume it was in Dallas? I'm in Dallas and looking for someone who knows what they're doing to do mine. Of course it sounds like yours may not have held up to well, would you recommend this detailer?

Thanks!
Scottwax - he is not only one of the best, he tests for Optimum.

http://www.scottwax.com/