Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Venture Shield vs. Scotch Guard Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 06-27-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
3M Scotchgaurd is nto a good film. I just installed a kit for a client that had already purchsed it for his Ducati. It had a tremendous amount of orange peel to it... and it is the same as it has been. The adhesive is also too strong and will stay with the paint if it is ever removed. I have recently switched from Ventureshield though as 3M changed the adhesive on it... and 3M is a pain to deal with as an installer. I think the Suntek, Xpel Ultimate, and Avery Nano Fusion films are MUCH better than either 3M film. You would be better off going with one of those films... but if you dont have the choice I would still pick Ventureshield Ultra over Scotchguard.

Last edited by ptmobile; 09-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
what don't you like about venture shield?

i have both venture and 3M. venture has more orange peel and is less clear, thus more detectable. it stretches easier and is easier to install.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
OK, I have both on the same car. I have the 3M scotch guard all over the car except the hood. The hood is ventue becasue it was the only 3M film that would cover the whole 911 hood. The Scotch guard is the better film durability wise. My Venture is for $hit in terms of durability. If it sat in a museam I would go venture, if I was going to drive the car on public roads or tracks I wouldgo scotchguard. I am having the hood (venture) redone on my center hood pannel after 1,300 miles and 1.2 years of driving (no track time). Venture is harder to keep looking mar free and way more delicate. Every bug and stone leaves a white mar on the film. You can correct it but not as easily as the 3M scotch guard. Vneture scratches more easily too. I had some tar on the car and the removal o the scotch guard was similar to that of paint and the venture was a PITA, ater removal, I had to polish the out the scratches on the venture left by the same removal process performed on the scotchguard. The Scotchguard has more orange peel, no doubt, but I would accept that for the ease of clean up and durability. It has gotten better. Scotchguard was way worse in the past in reguards to orange peel. I think the car looks good and just wish that scotchguard was made large enough to cover the whole hood.

If I was going to go from scratch I would now expolore Xpel self healing PPF. I don't know enought to recommend it but if I were in the market, I would check it out.

The quality of the installer is the most important factor. I a not familiar with any in your area, if you want a reccommendation in NY let me know. I believe my installer is a board sponsor here.

Last edited by JSF721; 09-05-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I just had Venture Shield installed. The local installer has been in business here since 1989 and did a great job, except he left off a strip that was provided with the kit, but he didn't know where it went (I found out where it goes and will install it myself). The initial impression I have with the stuff is that it is extremely transparent with no orange peel or other defects that I can see. The jury is certainly out on yellowing and protection compared with other films, and any yellowing may not be as evident on my macadamia as it would be on white or another light color, and it stays garaged when not on the road, so UV should be (fingers crossed) less of an issue in aging/yellowing.

Installation was $705.00 after sales tax, and I have a five year warranty that includes labor.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
You guys should look into Xpel. Best clear yet

Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
Those are pretty harsh words, tell these guys they should not use Xpel.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...y-sealant.html

Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Your experience is not the only one that counts you know, and you can find tons of negative comments with Ventureshield.

Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
That's kind of irrelevant. My comments are based on my experience with Xpel and Frank.

My installer (Shy at Custom ClearTech) tried to install Xpel but it had lumps in it. He patiently removed them with surgical precision but after the film was applied, we could see milling marks in the film... a pattern of repeating parallel line across the film. Xpel told him they would refund the material cost after the second roll had more problems. Shy told me that getting that refund was nothing but trouble and I'd bet he never did get the refund.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Regardless of what brand clear bra you prefer, it's still nice to not leave finger/hand prints on the hood paint when you close the frunk.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
XPEL Response

Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
That's kind of irrelevant. My comments are based on my experience with Xpel and Frank.

My installer (Shy at Custom ClearTech) tried to install Xpel but it had lumps in it. He patiently removed them with surgical precision but after the film was applied, we could see milling marks in the film... a pattern of repeating parallel line across the film. Xpel told him they would refund the material cost after the second roll had more problems. Shy told me that getting that refund was nothing but trouble and I'd bet he never did get the refund.

We are sorry that you encountered problems with our film. From time to time bad stuff does get out despite our efforts during inspection to catch it (it can happen from time to time with any manufacturer of film). I use the analogy of baking a sheet of cookies. You can make 20 the same way at the same time but sometimes a couple at the end of the tray do not come out the way you would like.

Ask for Eric Keller at 210-678-3700. He will get in touch with your installer to find out if he was taken care of. As for the response from Frank we had him working on a few too many projects at the same time while the company is in growth mode. We have changed a few of our internal processes for the better to help ensure that we serve our customer base at the highest level possible.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
You won't find a better product than Xpel. Give them another shot and you'll have years of clear film, and not have to deal with 3M's issues.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 AM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
As an installer I have never had any issues with customer service at Xpel... they are pretty good guys to work with. Their film is head and shoulders above anything 3M puts out... and I installed VentureShield for 9 years. In my spare time right now I am working on removing a 3M kit that has been on a 911 for 4 years. To tell you how bad the material is... well lets just say it comes off in little quarter inch pieces and the adhesive remains on the paint. 6 hours into it so far and I only have the hood and fenders removed... and part of the bumper. Had it been Xpel film (it wouldnt have needed to have been removed in the first place) I would have had he film off in 10 minutes. I wont even waste my time trying to reach 3M for warranty claims because they are impossible to work with. IMHO anyone that goes with 3M these days is silly as the film just isnt up to par with the films that have come out recently. I install Xpel, Suntek, and Avery Nano Fusion... and all three of those films will out perfrom 3M anyday in smoothness, durability, clarity... and any other factor you want to throw out there.