Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

First time claying question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
First time claying question

Hi all

I'll be claying my car for the first time this weekend and I wanted to confirm the following: after washing and claying, do I need to rinse the car off again before waxing or can I go straight from completing the claying step to waxing?

Thanks
Art

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aa909
Hi all

I'll be claying my car for the first time this weekend and I wanted to confirm the following: after washing and claying, do I need to rinse the car off again before waxing or can I go straight from completing the claying step to waxing?

Thanks
Art
Rinse after claying, then dry. You should polish before waxing. Proper sequence is clay-polish-wax

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
excellent, thanks for the reply. I'm planning to wax with P21S 100% carnabu. Can you recommend a polish that can be applied by hand and is suitable for a grey metallic car (porsche meteor gray) that has paint in very good to excellent condition; ie minor hairlines only noticable under florecent garage lighting (nothing that can be felt under the finger nail and No swirls and no scratches)

thanks again!
Art

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aa909
excellent, thanks for the reply. I'm planning to wax with P21S 100% carnabu. Can you recommend a polish that can be applied by hand and is suitable for a grey metallic car (porsche meteor gray) that has paint in very good to excellent condition; ie minor hairlines only noticable under florecent garage lighting (nothing that can be felt under the finger nail and No swirls and no scratches)

thanks again!
Art
Those minor hairlines can be minimized slightly, or filled, if you want to keep it simple. Either Sonax Paint Cleaner or P21S Paintwork Cleanser should do the trick. I'm assuming you're doing this by hand. If you can get a polisher, then Menzerna Super Finish would do a great job of removing those hairline stuff, not filling them. You'll still want to use a paint cleanser like the sonax or p21s prior to applying 100%

Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Those minor hairlines can be minimized slightly, or filled, if you want to keep it simple. Either Sonax Paint Cleaner or P21S Paintwork Cleanser should do the trick. I'm assuming you're doing this by hand. If you can get a polisher, then Menzerna Super Finish would do a great job of removing those hairline stuff, not filling them. You'll still want to use a paint cleanser like the sonax or p21s prior to applying 100%
excellent, thanks for the guidance. After reading a bit more about the P21S cleanser I can't seem to tell if it has any abrasive qualities like a true polish or if it's more of a chemical activity to remove contaminants. any one know for sure?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Getting hairline spider web swirls out by hand is exausting and the issue you may run into is consistancy of pressure on the applicator. Investing in a DA like a Griotts Garage DA will help you alot.

I actually took a class on how to use one and not that I am a pro but I can handle most of my own "Stuff" that comes up now.