Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help to fix a 997 with sour milk odor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Leejai is infamous around these parts
Help to fix a 997 with sour milk odor

Details:

997 taken out of storage. Found an open milk was in the cupholder (no spill).

Needless to say the car reeks of sour milk.

Anyone have tips to getting it out? I've aired out the car, cleaned the interior and shampooed the carpets (with Nature's Milk and Baking Soda). I've also sprayed Nature's Miracle on a microfiber towel and wiped down the entire car (including headliner).

Right now, the car is sitting 12 hours of 24 hours with Biocide Auto Shocker doing it's thing.

I feel like the smell is also on the leather (seats and door panels).

I've 1z Kilma cleaner and a new cabin filter incoming. I've also ordered a 3 pack Dakota Oder Bomb incoming as well.

Any more tips/tricks?

Am I on the right track and it's a matter of repetition (all steps including the Shocker/Oder Bomb) and time?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Porsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura about
Definitely on the right track. Luckily there was no spill and the proteins were easy to remove.

Klima should do a good job, just follow the instructions. Another recommended product is So2Pure from CarPro.

If you find that there is still a lingering odor, depending on where you live, a DrivePur treatment should solve all problems. DrivePur is not readily used by most detailers but if you are interested I can see if I have a detailing partner in your area that has the system. If you are in Florida we have you covered.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Leejai is infamous around these parts
Thanks! I know of one place in the Bay Area that has DrivePur, Auto Concierge, but they doesn't have any availability to take me. If you could someone else, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the So2Pure recommendation. Just ordered from AutoGeek.

UPDATE:

Just opened up the car after Biocide Auto Shocker. Upon opening the door, there was a strong, very strong chlorine smell. This was promising. I immediately had the car started with hight and ran the vents (hoping some of the shocker would circulate and recycle).

Unfortunately, the milk odor lingers, albeit not as strong.

The fight in me isn't over.

Tonight, I'm looking to wipe the car down again in Nature's miracle, maybe even letting it sit a little longer this time, and putting the Auto Shocker back in overnight.

I smell lingers most in the leathers (Full Leather), door panels and headrest.

Any recommend a product with enzymes, but safe for leather?

I knew a 1 day fix was too good to be true. If there's anyone out there with experience with milk odor, please share how long it took for you to get the odor out. It might help me with my sanity.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
There is a product called fresh wave. We are a ny distributor of the product. I believe it will work. You can buy it at bed bath and beyond in the retail strength or commercial version from a jan/San house locally.

If you use the air and surface version and leave a gel you can knock thismout rather quickly. Pm me if you cannot find it.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
turbosonoma is infamous around these parts
sounds like a good excuse for an insurance claim as they would likely just write it off then you get a new car!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Porsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura about
Still looking for a DrivePur guy in NorCal for ya.

A few tips for the So2pure. Clean all surfaces well with an all purpose cleaner. Check for colorfastness first of course. Don't go nuts with it but you want the interior clean to accept to So2.

Spray the So2Pure on the surfaces and wipe in. Spray carpets too and just let it hang out there. After the interior is treated, open all doors and windows. You want as much UV light to get in there as possible. Let the car sit in the sun for as long as you can. The So2Pure reacts with UV. You may need to treat a week or two after but keep at it. This stuff has no real smell so don't be surprised by the lack of fragrance.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Call a mold mitigation company, they have equipment that will take all the oxygen out of the air killing any and all odors, bacteria, etc. It will work. Really inexpensive also, I bet it doesn't cost $100 and done in your driveway.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
This has worked for me in the past- Biocide Systems - Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) is a potent oxidizer that literally uses oxygen to break up odour molecules. This sort of oxidizing action is found in many chemicals, but ClO2 is one of the most effective. ClO2 gas is especially good at oxidizing organic odour-causing substances, including Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC). It does not mask them like perfumes do, it neutralizes them through oxidation and is very effective

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
RZJZA80 is infamous around these parts
A cup (or more) of white vinegar left in the car over night has worked well on odors, never tried it on spoiled milk but wouldn't hurt to try it and it's a cheap solution.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
drew935 is infamous around these parts
Pm'd you Leejai

Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Shineshop is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot
Definitely on the right track. Luckily there was no spill and the proteins were easy to remove.

Klima should do a good job, just follow the instructions. Another recommended product is So2Pure from CarPro.

If you find that there is still a lingering odor, depending on where you live, a DrivePur treatment should solve all problems. DrivePur is not readily used by most detailers but if you are interested I can see if I have a detailing partner in your area that has the system. If you are in Florida we have you covered.
+1 for Drivepur. Hands down one of the most effective products on the market for killing odours without masking them. If you can't find Drivepur an ozone shock treatment should be effective provided there is no milk still present in the vehicle.