Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Matte paint care?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Electron Mike is infamous around these parts
Matte paint care?

Does anybody have an experience caring for a matte paint finish (not wrap)?

1. What type of sealant/wax should be used?
2. How does the finish handle bugs/water spots/swirls/etc?
3. Can normal car wash soap/water/microfiber be used to wash?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
“Matte or Satin Finish Paint and Body Wraps” -http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136409-matte-satin-finish-paint-body-wraps.html

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know

Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Electron Mike is infamous around these parts
Thanks, anyone with first hand experience?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
If this is factory paint I would get their spec for cleaning it. I know from first hand observation-experience that BMW Frozen Space Gray cannot be polished, clayed or "buffed dry" per the manufacturer. There was a local guy I met at a toys for tots fund raiser rally that had one. It was the first I had ever seen and he had a few "shiney" spots that ocurred when he was trying to get tar off with a damp MF and a tar remover.

Originally Posted by Electron Mike
Thanks, anyone with first hand experience?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Electron Mike
Does anybody have an experience caring for a matte paint finish (not wrap)?

1. What type of sealant/wax should be used?
2. How does the finish handle bugs/water spots/swirls/etc?
3. Can normal car wash soap/water/microfiber be used to wash?

Thanks!
Matte finishes are somehow unique to different manufacturers. For example, Mercedes matte paint behaves much differently than Lotus matte paint. Mercedes matte is a clearcoat without gloss, as is BMW. Cars like Lotus are actually a rubberized paint and require something like 303 aerospace to care for it.

With that said, we've had experience with most matte paints and wraps and for the exception of Lotus, here's what we do:

1. Don't apply any wax or sealant...can't. We do however, use a spray wax like 303 Speed Detailer...works really well and doesn't put a shine to the paint. Avoid spray waxes that have lots of gloss or optical enhancers. Sonax Speed Wax is one of my favorites, but on matte paint, I avoid it.

2. Bugs, water spots, etc. are hit and miss. For the most part, matte paints are more resistant than traditional paints, at least from our real-life dealings. But, if you do get water spots or bug spots, sometimes they'll go away, and other times they're there for good. Try and catch those issues asap. The nice thing about all matte paints and surfaces is that they're pretty hard to swirl.

3. Yes. Normal soap, without any wax, is fine. Try and use DI water whenever possible. Use very high quality microfibers as to avoid any possible scratching.

Hope this helps.