Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Greg L. is infamous around these parts
Klasse is nearly as durable as Zaino. I think it looks great on my Guards Red 996. I use it instead of Zaino because it is easier find, cheaper, and the All-in-one is a one-step application. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to maintain a carnuba waxed car.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
eric77 is infamous around these parts
Best wax? I would say there isn't one best wax. For black though, I have found Pinnacle Souveran is damn impressive but a bit on the pricey side. For a bit less, poorboys nattys blue is probably the wettest wax I have ever seen but is not all around as good as souveran. I have p21s/s100 as well and absolutely love them for lighter colors. On blacks, reds, and some blues though i have found p21s is put to shame by souveran and nattys blue.

When speaking of waxes though, it is important to remember that 90% of the finish is in the prep aka claying and polishing. If your paint is dull and filled with swirls a wax won't do much for you.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Greg L.
Klasse is nearly as durable as Zaino. I think it looks great on my Guards Red 996. I use it instead of Zaino because it is easier find, cheaper, and the All-in-one is a one-step application. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to maintain a carnuba waxed car.
The great thing about synthetic sealants like klasse is that you can top them with your favorite carnauba to achieve the look you desire. Granted, the wax will prbably strip off in a month or so, but the sealant underneath will remain and protect your paint. Just be sure and allow 24 hours for the sealant to cure and then apply your carnauba of choice. I try and do this on all the darker cars I detail. Lighter cars won't benefit so much from topping with a wax and are often best left with just a sealant.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
S100 and P21S are the same...great carnubas, but you must really do the Zaino thing...you must try it for yourself (speaking as a diehard P21S fan) with the z8 at the end it is amazing and durability...say no more. Try it, if you don't agree I'll buy it from you!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I haven't tried zaino since the introduction of Z2 Pro, but did just recieve a test sample today

Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
I haven't tried zaino since the introduction of Z2 Pro, but did just recieve a test sample today
If you are anything like me, you won't be ditching your 'nubas after trying zaino.

BTW, I bought the whole zaino kit about a year ago to see if it lived up to the hype. It is a great synthetic, but there are so many other options out there that are easier to apply, offer similar durability, and look superior.

Last edited by eric77; 04-06-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
hamiam is infamous around these parts
ericc7

what products offer similiar durability and better results? I was about to buy the Zaino kit myself......

Old 04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by hamiam
what products offer similiar durability and better results? I was about to buy the Zaino kit myself......
Well, there are many synthetic sealants out there that are similar to zaino. Zaino is definitely one of the longest lasting along with klasse sg. Poorboys ex-p, four star upp, menzerna fmj, meguiars #21 and finish kare 2180 are some other popular ones. Of those, I have yet to try menzerna, #21, and 2180 though I have heard great things about all three. Four star and EX-p will both offer close to 6 months of protection and hey are the easiest to use sealants in my opinion. Of the two, I prefer four star as it is a little slicker and shinier. Klasse and zaino will both offer a little longer protectio(probably closer to 8 months realistically), but are slightly harder to apply.

A synthetic sealant is necessary to protect your paint from the elements, but a carnauba wax offers unparalleled depth and wetness so to speak. I like to apply 1 or 2 coats of sealant and then top that every month or so with a carnauba of choice. On a black or red car, very few products will look better than four star upp topped with pinnacle souveran. THe results are amazing every time. For a lighter color p21s or s100 looks awesome. On light metallic paints, it is often best to just go with a synthetic sealant as it will make the flakes "pop" out the most.

Topping with a carnauba wax like I do is not necessary, but adds depth and protection.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
I'm not a professional detailer but I do a pretty good job. I've tried just about every wax/sealant listed on this board, and a few not named (liquid Glass for example) I have had three black Porsches in my lifetime and 1 midnight blue. I always go back to Zaino.
First wash and clay the car and them polish with the NEW Z5. Remarkable how it brings the paint to life, then try Z2.
Detailing is not a chore , but is actually therapeutic to me.

Put three coats of Z5 polish followed by 2 coats of Z2. Then use Final Inspection or Z8 to spruce up the paint, until its time for the next complete job in three months or so.
On ocassion I will use Pinnacle, but Zaino is a complete process. I will take a few days to complete my routine due to the bonding/drying time of the Zaino.
Use whatever product that makes you feel good, I know I do.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
As a few professional detailers have mentioned here already, there is no best wax. I tell our clients to find a car that they absolutely are impressed with and find out what the guy/gal uses. At our company, we are partial to Zymöl for durability, jetness of color, and clarity. For black cars we usually use Destiny. I realize its price may shock some people, but so will the results. The wax will do about 50 applications and you only need to wax twice a year. Our typical clients that apply Destiny will see protection for about 6-8 months and jetness of color for at least 3-4 months. And all this is achieved by hand using natural products. This is MHO.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:20 PM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
consumer reports article

The age and condition of your car’s finish and how often you want to wax will influence what type of wax you use. Newer cars do not need much wax or polish to shine, and older cars with weathered paint can greatly benefit from the cleaning properties of some waxes.

The Ratings rank waxes by performance on gloss improvement, durability, ease of use, and cleaning properties. We also tested to see if any of the waxes left a haze, scratches, or stains on plastic body parts.

Quick PicksIf your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning; both are CR Best Buys:
1 Black Magic $7
2 Turtle Wax $7

Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests. But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
22 Eagle One $6

It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.
If your vehicle is new or still has a newer finish:
23 Turtle Wax $6

It is easy to use, is economical, and won’t degrade the existing shine, but you’ll have to reapply it frequently to maintain the protection.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Halo is infamous around these parts
THESE PHOTOS are NOT multiplied in Photoshop!

Notice the OTHER BLACK CAR,,,not DONE...next to me..

First do the 3M Finishing Glaze then the P21s combo is the BEST...I will put it against ANYTHING!

[/quote]

Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Halo,
Outstanding black paint. However, I believe my Zaino Z5 polish followed by Zaino Z2 does an equal job, plus I have several months protection. I don't see that on my P21S. I bought a can of Pinnacle ($80.00) and P21S is just as good.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
ThatOneGuy is infamous around these parts
I Zaino'd my silver grey M3, looks like liquid mercury. My GF and I Zaino'd her Lava A3 3.2 (metallic black basically) and the results were equally impressive.

I agree it's over-hyped, but it's an excellent product. I was a Zymol guy for years but after seeing the results on a friends Cayman S, I was sold. 1st time application is a major PITA, over 6 hours.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Halo is infamous around these parts
Ok...had a huge car detail party...all friends brought over their BOXES of stuff.....cut to the chase...as I stated before...3M+ P21s WINs by a Mile....I changed peoples religion today! This blue car was purchaced from a lady that kept running it through a carwash....had Spider Webs so bad...flyes stayed away from it.

Last edited by Halo; 07-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Wax?