Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Does anyone have the Griots Garage Random Orbital.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have the Griots Garage Random Orbital.

I was wondering if it works well?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=10925

Old 08-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
As far as I know, the Griot's DA is essentially a porter cable 7424. It's the same as the Meguiar's one too. They're just relabeled for Griot's. It's a great machine to take care of minor swirls and scratches. I haven't used any of the Griot's polishes or pads, but I have clients that use it and they get good results. I use the Porter Cable and Meguiar's pads. You can get a good deal at http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Porter%20Cable%20Specials.htm. Hope this helps.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 08-26-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Triple B is infamous around these parts
I have the Griot's Kit for over two years now and it is a Porta Cable orbital sander with there polish and waxing pads. The thing works great and is easy to use. I would recomend it to anybody who likes to detail there cars & boats
The clay bar, polish and best in show wax that comes in the kit works great. The Speed Shine is the best stuff I have ever used way better than the Maguires quick mist detailer.
I would order an extra set of pads and the gallon of speed shine....

Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
jaxbch987 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Triple B
I have the Griot's Kit for over two years now and it is a Porta Cable orbital sander with there polish and waxing pads. The thing works great and is easy to use. I would recomend it to anybody who likes to detail there cars & boats
The clay bar, polish and best in show wax that comes in the kit works great. The Speed Shine is the best stuff I have ever used way better than the Maguires quick mist detailer.
I would order an extra set of pads and the gallon of speed shine....

my cayman s is 8 days old today. i am an avid fan of griots garage products and have been using them for years. BUT, my cayman s is atlas grey, i have never had a dark colored car before. since you have used all of the products i use but use them with the machine to my hand application i wanted to ask you how you get the best of show wax off of the black trim? i am irritated that this new trim is now marred from the wax residue. also, i used the clay bar and then two coats of best of show and still notice what appear to be small water spots on the sides of the car. i re-clayed it thinking that would eliminate the problem but it didn't. griots told me to buy polish #3 but i don't want to use a polish b/c the car is so new. any tips from a fellow griots fan would be totally cool. thanks!!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I have one, works very well.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaxbch987
my cayman s is 8 days old today. i am an avid fan of griots garage products and have been using them for years. BUT, my cayman s is atlas grey, i have never had a dark colored car before. since you have used all of the products i use but use them with the machine to my hand application i wanted to ask you how you get the best of show wax off of the black trim? i am irritated that this new trim is now marred from the wax residue. also, i used the clay bar and then two coats of best of show and still notice what appear to be small water spots on the sides of the car. i re-clayed it thinking that would eliminate the problem but it didn't. griots told me to buy polish #3 but i don't want to use a polish b/c the car is so new. any tips from a fellow griots fan would be totally cool. thanks!!
The small water spots may not actually be water spots. If polish has not removed them, it's water spotting that has etched the clear. This could have been caused by sprinklers that contained fertilizer or lime. If that is the case, I hope it's not, it needs to be machine compounded or color sanded; if that doesn't work, repaint. Sorry to be bearer of bad news, seen it happen quite a bit in my line of work. To know for sure, you'll need florecent light, craftsman makes one for $20, and you need to examine the water spots. If they're etched in, it'll look like a crater. You'll see the outline of the spot and then the paint thins out towrds the center. Hope this helps. If no cratering, a mild to medium polish will take out the water spot.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The small water spots may not actually be water spots. If polish has not removed them, it's water spotting that has etched the clear. This could have been caused by sprinklers that contained fertilizer or lime. If that is the case, I hope it's not, it needs to be machine compounded or color sanded; if that doesn't work, repaint. Sorry to be bearer of bad news, seen it happen quite a bit in my line of work. To know for sure, you'll need florecent light, craftsman makes one for $20, and you need to examine the water spots. If they're etched in, it'll look like a crater. You'll see the outline of the spot and then the paint thins out towrds the center. Hope this helps. If no cratering, a mild to medium polish will take out the water spot.
man, thanks for the info. i have read many of your posts and you know your stuff. very helpful. my car only has a few hundred miles on. my car is garage kept and has not been hit by sprinklers BUT perhaps when it was at the dealer, their water hit it. if so, i think they should take care of it. thoughts? thanks again.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Triple B is infamous around these parts
Sorry jax but I am not much help to you. I am just a weekend warrior.....and still learing..... I too read most of Moe's posts and would take his suggestions.
Good Luck

Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i use it all the time, it's good.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by jaxbch987
man, thanks for the info. i have read many of your posts and you know your stuff. very helpful. my car only has a few hundred miles on. my car is garage kept and has not been hit by sprinklers BUT perhaps when it was at the dealer, their water hit it. if so, i think they should take care of it. thoughts? thanks again.
It'll be tough to prove the dealer did it. And even if they agree, unfortunatly some detail guy in the back will buff it and mess it up even more. Take a picture and post it. I can better assess what to do.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
It'll be tough to prove the dealer did it. And even if they agree, unfortunatly some detail guy in the back will buff it and mess it up even more. Take a picture and post it. I can better assess what to do.
Moe, i don't know how you have a full time business AND find time to be so detailed oriented on your posts. i know i am not alone when i say you are awesome. i will get you a pic of the side of my cayman s in the morning, hopefully it will show the spots. thanks bro.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Premium Sponsor
I just really enjoy what I do. Posting and chatting here takes the edge off running the biz

Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 AM
PDL996 is infamous around these parts
I use the Griots pads and polishes, they work fine with great results.
SpeedShine is a great product and seems to work well on Tree Sap spots.
I also use Meguiars Quik Detailer for bugs. Waxes are always up for debates!
I have a black car and use Pinnacle Souveran. Moe's posts are very informative! I seem to learn from them most of the time.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
My father-in-law has the Porter Cable and I have the Griot's one. I've used both and prefer the handle on the Griot's one. They both work the exact same.

-David

Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by David_J
My father-in-law has the Porter Cable and I have the Griot's one. I've used both and prefer the handle on the Griot's one. They both work the exact same.

-David
cool, i think i will buy the one from griots. i am kind of wussin' out, not sure why, everytime i buy something, i leave that off my order. last week, spent $50 online at griots and couldn't bring myself to buy it, lol. i think its b/c i have never used one on any of my cars and want to make sure i use it correctly. i am sure once i get the hang of it, i will be stoked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the Griots Garage Random Orbital.