Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Getting my cars ready for the cold months ahead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
Getting my cars ready for the cold months ahead

I just bought a set of Porsche Turbo wheels with snows for my Cayenne that came off a local guy's Cayenne before he sold them. I want to clean and protect them for the winter abuse that lies in their future.
What do you recommend?

On hand I have Rejex and Mother's products, but am willing to do and buy whatever it takes. When my regular season wheels come off I will do the same for them so that they are ready for the spring.

Also, and more importantly, my Cayenne is Titanium Metallic, and my Audi is Silver- which waxes do you recommend for these colors?

I work hard, and until I read this forum I thought I was doing a good job with my cars, but wow! I have never gotten my cars to look like the cars of the members of this forum.

How about a guide for us newbies?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:31 PM
ChrisNJ is infamous around these parts
I just posted under a thread about wheel wax, i'll post the link in a second. but if you really want to get serious about detailing, join a detailing forum like autopia.org or detailcity. (autopia is a little more hardcore), this detailing forum (as most detail sections of a car forum) pale in comparison to the knowledge on those boards. What kind of protection and how often are you willing to rewax? That is something that needs to be put into the equation when choosing waxes.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:45 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChrisNJ
I just posted under a thread about wheel wax, i'll post the link in a second. but if you really want to get serious about detailing, join a detailing forum like autopia.org or detailcity. (autopia is a little more hardcore), this detailing forum (as most detail sections of a car forum) pale in comparison to the knowledge on those boards. What kind of protection and how often are you willing to rewax? That is something that needs to be put into the equation when choosing waxes.
I'm willing to wax every 6 - 8 weeks. I just turn up the music and watch my 3 munchkins run around and play in the yard with the dog. I find it very rewarding and relaxing. I want the best protection I can get of course. Is Mothers any good, or are they riding on an old reputation? I have some of their stuff in the garage- should I just use it for the Audi and get something different for my Porsche?

Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
ChrisNJ is infamous around these parts
What mothers wax do you have? If you really want to get a good base for the upcoming winter, and if your paint is already in pretty good condition, do something like klasse aio, poorboys ex-p, then follow up with fmj and top with a nice coat of your choice. that will give you a long lasting protection from the sealant and a nice glow from a carnuba. The carnuba you'll have to reapply every 5-6 weeks. You can do something like collinite 476 paste wax. That should get you an extra couple weeks and it still gives a nice reflection. Then come the warmer months, concentrate on having the cars look their best since they wont be attacked by salt and snow contaminants. I know your cars arent black, but here is an acura's hood that i recently did with 476.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
I'm willing to wax every 6 - 8 weeks. I just turn up the music and watch my 3 munchkins run around and play in the yard with the dog. I find it very rewarding and relaxing. I want the best protection I can get of course. Is Mothers any good, or are they riding on an old reputation? I have some of their stuff in the garage- should I just use it for the Audi and get something different for my Porsche?
As for your wheels, Rejex is excellent. Just make sure your wheels are cleaned using a mild wheel cleaner. If it needs tougher cleaning, clay them. Then apply Rejex as directed. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wipe it off. As far as waxing goes, everyone on 6speed knows I'm partial to Zymol. I'd say without loosing your shirt invest in Titanium. It's about $70 and will do about 50 applications. You can do it 3-4 times per year. Just make sure you're washing weekly if a daily driver and not letting it go more than 2 weeks without a proper wash. Washing is the best thing you can do for your car. Hope this helps and that's my 2 cents.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisNJ
What mothers wax do you have? If you really want to get a good base for the upcoming winter, and if your paint is already in pretty good condition, do something like klasse aio, poorboys ex-p, then follow up with fmj and top with a nice coat of your choice. that will give you a long lasting protection from the sealant and a nice glow from a carnuba. The carnuba you'll have to reapply every 5-6 weeks. You can do something like collinite 476 paste wax. That should get you an extra couple weeks and it still gives a nice reflection. Then come the warmer months, concentrate on having the cars look their best since they wont be attacked by salt and snow contaminants. I know your cars arent black, but here is an acura's hood that i recently did with 476.
I have the Mother's California Gold Pure Carnuba Wax, and the Mother's Reflections Advanced car wax (liquid). I also have the Mother's California Gold Pre-wax cleaner and the Mother's California Gold Sealer & glaze products.
I also need to get a sheepskin wash mitt and some micro fiber towels- whose do you recommend?
I appreciate everyones help- I'll post pics when I am done.

Moe- I was thinking of selling one my 8 yr old to try the Zymol Titanium wax (although I was considering selling him anyway lately)

Last edited by BobbySpeed; 10-29-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
I have the Mother's California Gold Pure Carnuba Wax, and the Mother's Reflections Advanced car wax (liquid). I also have the Mother's California Gold Pre-wax cleaner and the Mother's California Gold Sealer & glaze products.
I also need to get a sheepskin wash mitt and some micro fiber towels- whose do you recommend?
I appreciate everyones help- I'll post pics when I am done.

Moe- I was thinking of selling one my 8 yr old to try the Zymol Titanium wax (although I was considering selling him anyway lately)
Once you sell him and put your Mother's products on ebay, you should be able to get Titanium and some nice micrifiber towels. You don't have to spend the $$ on Titanium; I've used P21S and it works great too. I just like Zymol for the "look" I can get at the end and the longevity of the protection. As far as microfiber towels go, use the yellow ones from costco for grunt work such as cleaning wheels, cleaning the engine bay, interior wipe downs, etc. I'd use a foam-core waffle weave drying cloth instead of chamois to dry the car, and a very high quality dual-pile microfiber cloth to wipe down the finish.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I don't have a membership to Costco because I don't have one near me, a Target either. If I buy them online, which towels and wash mitt should I get?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
If costco sells the microfibers online, they should be yellow. As for the wash mitt, use natural sheepskin, not the synthetic one.