Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Horrible Odor: WHAT do I use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:46 AM
JPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really nice
Horrible Odor: WHAT do I use?

I just assumed a lease on a Bimmer 745 and it has a rank stench in it from the previous owner, I tried Ozium, I got new mats on order, anyone here have another idea or solution to get rid of the stench?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Thats to bad JP. Perhaps the PO can clue you in on what happened to cause the maliferous oder and where in the car it happened. Otherwise, can you bring the car back.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
AriciU is infamous around these parts
Seinfeld sold his...

Old 04-08-2007, 01:53 PM
JPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really nice
see off topic for more info

Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
You sure it's not you? Try driving with your pants on for a while and see if that helps.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Try changing the "in cabin" air filter. Often these are the source and hold the bad odor and if so the Ozium won't work until you change it out. Then try the Ozium again. Did you spray the Ozium into the cabin air intake duct? If this doesn't work, do some searches, I've read that often the Evaporator Core fins might have a mildew on them and need to be cleaned. Don't remember all the details...

Good luck!

Last edited by Dvh; 04-13-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Ozium should work for most odors. I purchased a car last summer that was a smoker car. It has leather interior and no floor mats. I bought rubber mats and have used about 3 cans of ozium and the odor is finally out. Took about 6 mos though. My routine was to keep the ozium in the car and spray it anytime I got out. I sprayed both front floor board areas and the headliner. I also spent a good bit of time cleaning the leather and conditioning it. THere really is no perfect method to getting the odor out. It just takes time. Everytime you park it, spray ozium and keep the windows up. I also ran the car for a good bit with the AC cranked and sprayed ozium. Then when winter came I did the same with the heater cranked. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
If i may ask, what kind of odor is it?

Some odors often need to be aproached differently than others. For instance the mildew has been mentioned. In this case you would have the condenser system cleaned, replace the interior cabin filter and Ozium the car.

I'm not a big fan of ozium as it tends to me more a a masking product than a true neutralizer. It does work in many cases though.

If the issue is a liquid spill (coffee, tea, milk) you would locate the source, thoroughy hwe the area, dry the area, check the odor if nessiarry inject a odor neutralizer into the fiber and re clean the area again. Dry one final time.

If the odor is bio spill (blood, urine, bodily fluids) (most often sea-food, or liquid from meat packing in the trunk/back seat. You would treat the area with a enzyme cleaner like (bi-o-kleens bac-out) Provide 2-6 hours of dwell time, precondition with a enzyme traffic lane cleaner and extract. Dry, check odor, repeat iff nessisary.

When ever you talk odor control 80% removal is a good number to shoot for.

~Aaron

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
rochfort is infamous around these parts
Zero Odor

I bought a 997.2 Carrera 2 S coupe (used) with an "air freshener scent" that was outrageously overbearing. The experts tell me, different odors may need different treatment. First be sure the source of the odor is completely removed ... no Christmas trees deodorizers under the seats or in the air vents ... check. I tried charcoal bags, various cleaners (many of which I rejected because they have their own scent. I replaced the cabin air intake filter and bought new floor mats. The product which has worked the best so far is a misty pump spray called "Zero Odor". It is simply misted onto carpets, rubbed in with a clean black microfiber towel and left to dry. I have cleaned the interior thoroughly with scent free products and then sprayed the Zero Odor product all around on the carpets and side walls etc. After 3 such treatments the odor is significantly abated but still noticeable, particularly if the car is left closed in the sun. I suspect the air ducts and other unreachable areas are still contaminated.

I considered an ozone machine but I am concerned about potential health issues and premature aging of rubber and plastic. I am now considering a CLO2 fogger (
Amazon.com: Auto Shocker ClO2 car interior odor eliminator: Automotive Amazon.com: Auto Shocker ClO2 car interior odor eliminator: Automotive
). I am planning to connect a trickle charger to the battery and run the cabin fan on high with the fogger activated in the closed car for 24 hours. I am told afterward to then open the doors and leave the car in the sun for a few hours to help dissipate the chlorine odor which, I am told, will dissipate completely in a day or two. Anyone have any experience with these?

I also may try to get the Zero Odor mist through the ductwork. Can someone tell me where the air intake is when the recirculation option is chosen?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article “Air Conditioner Cleaning” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136495-air-conditioner-cleaning.html#post1447731

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles , theseDetailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136815-togwt%AE-detailing-articles-index-hyperlinks.html