Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Experienced Detailers: What brand of products do you use after color sanding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Experienced Detailers: What brand of products do you use after color sanding?

I've been detailing cars for over 20 years and have used a lot of the various professional grade products available to detail shops. I enjoy taking black cars and color sanding them and then bringing to a show car gloss with the wet-mirrored finish. There's no better accomplishment than having every scratch and swirl-mark removed and seeing the end result!

I'm wondering if there are any products out any of you can recommend that may be simplified from what I currently use. I'm not concerned with waxes or maintenance products, but rather the polishes used after wet-sanding. I've been using products from Production Car Care products out of CA for years and they produce great results; however I have to order direct from out of state and it takes three separate products after wet sanding to get the final finish.

I'm about to place an order and was wanting to compare notes with some other experienced detailers on what is on the market today that may work well. I've heard Mequires has a new professional line with a product that you can go from 1500 Grit color sanding to final finish in one step! I'd have to see it to believe it. I have the rep coming out for a demo in the next few days. I've also used Race Glaze products, leveling compound, etc., available at WESSCO, but they don't seem to be quite as effective.

Please let me know if anyone can recommend anything that works exceptionally well!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
The only thing I have used from megs to remove wet sanding marks (2000 grit) was "diamond cut" Yeah it got them out. With more work than I think was needed. I had to follow up with speed glaze on a burgundy pad and speed glaze on a yellow to finish it out well.

I used less product and less "work" when i used SIP, 106FF from menzerna. SIP was on a yellow cut pad, 1066ff was on a green light cut. It finished out extremely well.

Kimcheebowl has a set of photo’s showing a 3 series he did with SIP and (i believe 106ff) His photo's were kind of my inspiration to try them against megs products. Menzerna will dust less, require less product, and have about the same work time as megs. The finish is something else though. Megs does not come near the depth, clarity or color definition of menzerna polishes.

Last edited by Grouse; 05-04-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Jin's thread showing SIP and 106ff.

Have to give credit where credit is due. He did an awesome job

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=80699

Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Get the Menzerna line of products. You can use power gloss and an orange lake country pad to compound as the first step, or go straight to 106ff and orange pad and finish using a da or cyclo with the final polish. It all depends on the grit of paper and how much clear you wanna take down. Then use either a hand polish or goto wax. Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the input, I'll give Menzerna a try! Let me know if anyone else has other suggestions. Curious to know about this new Megs stuff...

Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Dvh
Well many thanks go out to Grouse for giving me samples of the Menzerna product. I was pressed for time today, so just did the driver side of the 996TT. Wet sanded the front and back fenders and then used SIP and 106FF and finished it out with Zaino Grand Finale and was astonished how nice it came out! This is as nice as the products I was using and cut out one entire step.

Here is a picture of one of the fenders I wet sanded in direct sun light:

Picture of the driver side that I completed also in pretty bright sun (bright as we get here in Rainville, I mean Seattle!)

Last edited by Dvh; 05-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
menzerna products are great polishes/compounds. 106ff is an excellent product and finishes to an amazing gloss, keep an eye out for the 106fa that should be that same product with less dusting

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Congrats man looks great.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Dvh
Put the Menzerna to the test today on my Supra. The hood had to be totally wet sanded. Took about 4 hours to do the front hood and fenders alone, including a labor intensive touch-up process. Taking a break and will finish tomorrow. Needless to say, I've very pleased with the products:

Old 05-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I knew you would be. Looks fantastic.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
wow nice!!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !
Why did you need to wet sand in the first place? Was there factory orange peel in the clear?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Dvh
Originally Posted by Stryke
Why did you need to wet sand in the first place? Was there factory orange peel in the clear?
To remove 15 years of scratches and swirls and to blend the all the rock chips I had touched up. I wet sanded the entire hood, and spot sanded the rest of the car only where it required it. Here are pictures of the end result:

Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor
Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !
Beautiful job. I was asking more about the Pcar as it is newer and I would imagine only needed it to eliminate that wonderful German paint orange peel.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Dvh
oh sorry--well it had a few scratches, which were what got me started, but you are correct, after seeing how smooth and sleek the wet sanded areas came out I decided to do the entire car to remove the orange peel!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experienced Detailers: What brand of products do you use after color sanding?