Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Ferrari 575MM maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
mracer is infamous around these parts
Question Ferrari 575MM maintenance costs

Good evening gentlemen.

Well after purchasing a Porsche 996TT recently, with which my dad hasn't really been happy with due to it's lack of GT charasteristics I will be purchasing that beauty off him

He is currently on the market for a "nice" GT car.
I adviced him to look into the following:
- aston martin DB9
- Ferrari 575 MM F1

He really is a BMW guy, as he still loves is BMW M5 (e39). He wants a car with low-end torque. He really likes the M6. But as mentioned above I don't think he will be a happy man with that car as it is a high reving engine...

So it seems as it is coming down to this dream car:
what can you guys tell me about the maintenance costs of a 575?
Is it a lot more than a 996 Turbo?
they seem to be very realiable. Although every three years the drive belt is replaced (due to precaution guidelines as a dealer told me).
The 12 cylinders are def. more reliable than the 8c.
What else do we have to look out for?
Another 575-driver told me to look out for a car that has the fiorano package plus have a clean service record.
any other recommendations?
Really appreciate your input.

cheers from switzerland!
hasi

Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Ferrari changed the suggested belt intervals from 5 to 3 years recently... shows how subjective they are.

On the 550, we will have the belts changed next spring-- 4 years b/w. As for maintenance, change the oil and drive! Expendables like pads and tires go on a case by case basis.

It's the same as the Turbo... we've got both and neither is "more expensive." That being said, if anything goes wrong, the Ferrari will cost more to repair.

If your dad has to have a F1 style... do a DB9, the auto w/ torque converter is awesome whereas the 575 F1 isn't so great. If he is ok with a true-manual I suggest a 550 Maranello-- it is more stiffly sprung than a base 575 (and the same as a Fiorano, GTC, HGTC) and has THE transmission. I can't tell you how fun the gearbox in it is-- not fast by any means (but he's had a TT which is slow as well), but one of the most gratifying box's out there. Hearing the "snick-snicks" and "clinks" with each shift is just fantastic.

As for torque, there's no better place to find it than a 550/575.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Although it is a 550, here's an interesting long-term test.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
My vote goes for a DB9.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
550 all day long. Db9 is a pig.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
550 without question. gorgeous, quick, and relatively cheap to maintain. also, it has a proper gearbox.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
In short:

Originally Posted by IIVVX
550 without question. gorgeous, quick, and relatively cheap to maintain. also, it has a proper gearbox.

Really, how can you say no to this? (Picture taken by Kyle Dempsey-- K04 here)

Joe

Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 AM
GT cruising

hey guys

thanks a lot for your answers.
as mentioned above my dad is into gran tourismo crusining. that means he doesn't really want a manual shifter but still have the posibility to interact with the paddle shifters when he feels like it ;-)
he has been driving a manual for the last 5 years (bmw m5) and wants to go to something more "relaxed".

if we consider ferrari then only a 12 cyl. and the 575mm which is more improved compared to the 550.

any more inputs are very welcome.

any experts here who can point out what to look at when test driving a second hand car?

cheers mates

Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mracer
if we consider ferrari then only a 12 cyl. and the 575mm which is more improved compared to the 550.
that opinion is not shared by myself, i much prefer the 550 to the 575. do a bit of research on the changes between the two and you will likely agree.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by mracer
I don't agree, and I know for a fact that many feel the same way. The 575 is heavier, softer, rounder, less aggressive, and has a very sub-par transmission.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeyG
I don't agree, and I know for a fact that many feel the same way. The 575 is heavier, softer, rounder, less aggressive, and has a very sub-par transmission.
Sounds perfect for a dad

Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM

Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Griff is infamous around these parts
where in switzerland? Geneva?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
no, closer to Berne.
why do you ask?
I am in discussion with a 575 owner from geneva. The car has only 4700km on it. but unfortunately no GTC package... (only the fiorano II).

a 575 owner I know told me I should def. get one with the GTC package. man, there's not 1 car selling in switzerland with that package. i located a car in germany 2005 model and 12tkm but the price is insane..

any more inputs concerning GTC vs. fiorano II?
the price diff. of the two above mentioned cars is so big that i could buy the GTC package on the cheaper car and buy an extra set of wheels (but of course I wouldn't do that ;-)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
60Valves is infamous around these parts
Have you considered an Aston Martin Vanquish S ? Beautiful GT's and the last true hand built Aston.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 575MM maintenance costs