Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Financial documentation or requirments to test drive an F-car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
You should drive a 360 or CS prior to owning without a doubt. The CS is a great ride and you love it. Most Ferrari dealerships have little Inventory. Our local might only have 6-12 Ferrari's for sale at a time and Never new ones those are sold out well in advance. They will protect there investments and most of the time consigned cars from anyone just looking for a joy ride. Our local deals with 20 somethings all the time and does not care how old you are. They didn't even take a deposit on my last one until I ordered it for a build.

I will say this if you drive one of them bring your check book because you won't want to leave without it.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
ive seen notices to this effect in several dealerships and independents not just ferrari often in the form of a "simple requirements to test drive" form. often it states that they will want to hold $10k or something on a credit card before you can go out which is refundable upon return.

personally ive never been asked to do this even when its been displayed as standard policy. i think its there to act as a doorman, a way to dissuade all the weekend test pilots they would get otherwise if they didnt. it gives them an easy and non confrontational way out if they dont think you are serious for whatever reason.

if you are genuine then i am sure this will come across and you will be just fine.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 AM
silk55 is infamous around these parts
I've never has a problem with going to a ferrari dealer and doing a test drive. i have done so many times before making my decision between the 360 and gallardo. the gallardo ended up winning.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
why wouldnt you need a test drive?

Originally Posted by cig1
Why would you need to test drive a Ferrari ... in the dealers eyes, you either want it pending visual, mechanical and financial criteria or you're just screwing around.

G

Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
hblocal is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE
What?

I can't believe you'd expect them to just toss you the keys because you have allegedly shown the ability to buy. TONS of people do that and are still just kicking tires. What they'll probably do is take you for a "ride", after you've proven you're not another guy blowing smoke. You'll likely have to put down a refundable deposit to get behind the wheel. They aren't Corvettes. The same will be the case with Lamborghini or any other "rare" expensive exotic.
No I don't expect them to just throw the keys at me. If anything I would rather not buy from a dealership that just allows any schmoe to test drive their cars because it will only make me wonder how many ppl test drove the car Im buying just for kicks.

I was responding to the comment that they base it off maturity or your appearance. I have no issues with providing documentation or putting down a refundable deposit because they do need to protect themselves and their assets. But I would think insurance documentation would be enough.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Jason A is infamous around these parts
This is how it works at most of the Delaers I have been at.
Agree on a price before anyone gets behind the wheel, and get a refundable deposit. If the person is financing the car more often then not I would like to have a Credit app on the guy. That is not to say that I have not handed somone the keys and driven off with just the guys licence. Most of the time you can get a feel for the guys that just want to test drive the car, sometimes its a bit harder. You cant judge a book by its cover in this business. When I got into it I thought a guy pulling up in a ferrari with a nice suit on would be the one buying a car. More often then not its the guy in shorts and a t shirt pulling up in an everyday car that is the one writing the checks for cars. I used to get teens or people in early 20's looking for cars that their dad wants. I tried to help everyone unless it was 100% that they were just kicking tires.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Wannabe
cig1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chidoks
why wouldnt you need a test drive?
Why would you ?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Just last Year I guess I had forgot my girlfriend and I pulled into an Audi Dealership in one of my F430's. Got out and decided she wanted to drive an A6. They took no financial info from her but Holy S#%t they wanted like 50 lines answered for their computer before she got the keys. We almost walked because of the time it took. That was actually pretty funny and I've never had anyone ask me for anything but a drivers license at any Ferrari Dealership.
I guess those A6's are hard to come by

Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
F430Rod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by silk55
I've never has a problem with going to a ferrari dealer and doing a test drive. i have done so many times before making my decision between the 360 and gallardo. the gallardo ended up winning.
You test drove both and you picked the gallardo? What's wrong with you?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
Kevin2772 is infamous around these parts
I've found tons of dealerships tend to be very judgemental on age. When my buddy was shopping for his 997TT (as well as his earlier cars) most dealers blew him off or made some smart *** comment alluding to him not being able to afford the car because of his age. When we finally got to a dealer in columbus and the sales rep pulled a black 997TT off the show room floor and told the two of us (both 25 at the time) to take it for a spin without him, its easy to say who got the sale on that one.... I understand the concept of protecting investments but sometimes a dealership has got to understand that you cant just judge a book by its cover. Seems Lamborghini will let people test drive alot easier then ferrari around here.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
I can see both sides. I have personally never been asked for anything........even a license from my "local" dealer to drive a car. But I have a relationship with them that stems many many years. I think for someone truely interested in purchasing a Ferrari, they should go in and talk to them first. Not just go in and say I want to drive this or that car. Cause they will most likely get suspicious looks. Especially if you are "young" as you say. Build a relationship first by going in and asking multiple questions.......go to the parts dept, the service dept and of course the salespeople.........speak to all of them first. Let them know you. This should take no more then a few weeks, then after they've seen you around a few times and you've gotten to know some of the people who work there I guarantee that they will know you are not just a tire kicker.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
hblocal is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kevin2772
I've found tons of dealerships tend to be very judgemental on age. When my buddy was shopping for his 997TT (as well as his earlier cars) most dealers blew him off or made some smart *** comment alluding to him not being able to afford the car because of his age. When we finally got to a dealer in columbus and the sales rep pulled a black 997TT off the show room floor and told the two of us (both 25 at the time) to take it for a spin without him, its easy to say who got the sale on that one.... I understand the concept of protecting investments but sometimes a dealership has got to understand that you cant just judge a book by its cover. Seems Lamborghini will let people test drive alot easier then ferrari around here.
So it sounds like there is no real policy across the board for Fcar dealerships rather it becomes more of a judgment call for the salesperson. Personally if I were in the business I wouldn't care who test drove the cars...young or old. A sale is a sale and besides if you break it you buy it and its a sale anyway right?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by hblocal
So it sounds like there is no real policy across the board for Fcar dealerships rather it becomes more of a judgment call for the salesperson. Personally if I were in the business I wouldn't care who test drove the cars...young or old. A sale is a sale and besides if you break it you buy it and its a sale anyway right?
I don't think you break it you buy it really works because the average guy I don't think can afford the $200k plus car he might have just broke.

Kuzi is right about our dealer but I don't think I have test drove more than one car from them. When you know the cars you just need something telling you the car is good. Why drive it.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
I guess those A6's are hard to come by

more like demographic info is hard to come by ...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
more like demographic info is hard to come by ...
Is that why they did that? I don't believe we've ever received crap in the mail from them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Financial documentation or requirments to test drive an F-car?