Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Looking to purchase my first Ferrari, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 PM
DanC is infamous around these parts
Looking to purchase my first Ferrari, need advice

I am looking for an F-355 spider and have stumbled across a couple of nice examples. Is a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) part of the standard buying protocol? When buying Porsches PPIs seem mandatory and qualified shops are relatively easy to find. Is the same true of Ferrari's?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:30 PM
silk55 is infamous around these parts
use search. there's a thread of what to look for in general when purchasing a 355/360.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
NoOxyContin4U is infamous around these parts
Buying a Ferrari, ehhh?

I write a little article back in 2005 that tells you all you need to know on the subject: Analysis Paralysis, here

http://www.ferrarichat.com/velostrad...0Paralysis.pdf

Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
YES you need a PPI and make sure it has all service records or you won't get good resale.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
barrykincaid is infamous around these parts
May I suggest that you wait? I know its painful, but prices for later Ferraris are dropping as I type. Unless you find the perfect example, I would be patient and wait for a better deal. The Ferrari market is TANKING.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 AM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
I agree on that. Price for later Ferraris are dropping so if i have money better save it first then later on i will buy ferraris that what i want.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
That is my plan. I am hoarding cash as best as I can in order to buy assets on the cheap. And at the top of the list are vintage cars, especially Ferraris.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by barrykincaid
That is my plan. I am hoarding cash as best as I can in order to buy assets on the cheap. And at the top of the list are vintage cars, especially Ferraris.
Which Ferraris are you considering?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by PCH
Which Ferraris are you considering?
It depends on how far they fall, but at the top of the list is a Dino, 330 GTC or a Lusso. I hate to wish for any asset to fall in price, but if they do, I'll be there with open arms.

I bet a lot of folks are like me though, which makes me wonder if they will fall far enough to reach my limits.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
NoOxyContin4U is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by barrykincaid
It depends on how far they fall, but at the top of the list is a Dino, 330 GTC or a Lusso. I hate to wish for any asset to fall in price, but if they do, I'll be there with open arms.

I bet a lot of folks are like me though, which makes me wonder if they will fall far enough to reach my limits.
I'm in if a nice 330GTC shows up at about $140k.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:15 PM
wt888 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DanC
I am looking for an F-355 spider and have stumbled across a couple of nice examples. Is a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) part of the standard buying protocol? When buying Porsches PPIs seem mandatory and qualified shops are relatively easy to find. Is the same true of Ferrari's?
Yes on the PPI. Suggest you download a Buyers Guide from:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 AM
997 brake dust is infamous around these parts
yes on ppi! do you have a indy shop that will be doing the work? suggest that you speak with the indy shop - they tend to know who is selling. maint. history a must!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
good clean cars will always fetch a higher price. 355s arent going to be dropping down that much if at all, so if you find a good one and it's got everything you want, get it!

If you wait on the sidelines, the opportunity might pass you by and you'll regret it.

If you're waiting for the price to drop b/c that's all you can afford, I seriously hope you factored in maintenance costs and possible repairs b/c that can be in a league all by itself.

And dont think newer cars (e.g. 430s) are exempt from repairs, maintenance, etc.

My brand new F430 had to get a new tranny (which now shifts like a hot knife going through butter)....cost on that with labor is approx 40K!!!

To those guys who are scraping the barrel to purchase a ferrari on the cheap with no warranty better pray you dont have issues.

With that said.... good luck with your purchase!! There's no better feeling!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
I would have a PPI done by someone who knows the cars. Alot of mechanics can mess a Ferrari up and fix them improperly causing more trouble than its worth in the long run.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BCS996TT
My brand new F430 had to get a new tranny (which now shifts like a hot knife going through butter)....cost on that with labor is approx 40K!!!
Warranty?

6MT or F1?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase my first Ferrari, need advice