Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

can ferrari survive in future?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 AM
997GT2 is infamous around these parts
can ferrari survive in future?

with the financial crisis now. lets take a look in the future maybe within 20 years. the emission rules will be even stronger than now. can ferrari survive with or WITHOUT fiat in future?

last time was reading an article where a automobile-researcher taked a look in the future and he wrote that just 6 car makers will surive in future. nothing said about ferrari. he said it will be atlease Porsche-VW and Toyota. big concerns.

also whats ferrari without the formel 1? from the worst scenario. when the formel 1 will be dead. can ferrari survive without them? can they make their cars good as now without formel 1? (they transfered alot technique in their street cars from formel 1).

also big question could ferrari survive without fiat as an independent "little special car maker" ???

Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
huge demand for ferrari I think will always exist--unless they start cheaping out like american manufactures did.

I think they'll be fine!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
They build cars to fund their racing. As long as there is a race, there will be ferrari.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Falken is infamous around these parts
If they adapt to the demands of the future...yes.
If they do not...no.
that is true for all companies, good and services.

No one truly knows what the future demands and desires of the world will be...but i assure you that there will always be a demand for premium good, that demand may rise and fall at various times in history...but it will always exist because there will always be persons with the means and the desire for the best.

Speaking specifically of Ferrari. Ferrari has been leader both in the supercar market place and auto racing for decades...and they are usually open to new ideas (aluminium, carbon fibre, F1 tranny's, traction control, now DSG gear boxes) we've even heard rumors and whispers of Ferrari contemplating hybrids and they already made a alt fuel car that they debuted at auto show in the past. I highly doubt that Ferrari will drop the ball in the near future...at least not from an existence point of view.

I personally dont care what powers my future ferrari's (gas, hydrogen, electricity)...as long as they are FAST, Gorgeous and rare thats all that counts in my books.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
euro_king is infamous around these parts
is it true the sales of ferrari actually increase by 2% , I saw this in new york times couple months ago

Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
techart 996 #3 is infamous around these parts
The auto industry as a whole is in shambles and this affects exotics manufacturers as well. Ferrari drastically cut production in 08, and although I don't know the exact numbers, a large portion of their work force has been laid off. As far as I know, 09 hasn't fared any better.

Ferrari has always been on the cutting edge of racing, especially in F1. The basis for their R&D and F1 team is however the sales of personal autos. Enzos famous disdain for his clients that wanted his cars as a status symbol is well known. It was however necessary for funding his racing. Till today, nothing except the scale of it has changed. If Ferrari can't keep on selling personal autos with profit, they won't be able to fund their racing. And without racing, I suspect that Ferrari as a whole will go down.

I don't think Ferraris survival hinges as much on the economy as it does on their ability to move on with the progress of times. No nation, especially the U.S which still is the largest market for Ferrari, wants to depend on foreign oil as an energy and fuel source. This is why Benz has vowed to delete any gasoline only driven car from their line up by 2015. Toyota and other major players are following suite. Granted that the exotics market is a niche, but most would agree that the auto industry as a whole is on the cusp of a transitional change. Diesel, ethanol, hydrogen, hybrids, evs, and other alternative engines is the wave of the future. And until the world has decided on one engine standard, I don't think the auto industry will recover.

If Ferrari can adapt, and produce "green" cars with performance (like their ethanol 430 spider), I think that they will manage to stick around in the future. I do however feel that the 90's and 00's saw the culmination of the exotic car. Excess and conspicuos consumption has been erased together with so much of the worlds existing wealth. The landscape has been radically changed and manufacturers, even Ferrari, must change with it. If they don't they will perish.

I'm really curious to see what the future holds for the exotic cars. I'm also curious about how the future resale market for exotics will turn out. We all know there's quite a few guys here that are sitting on multiple >$100K cars in their garage. Perhaps for them, it's such a small portion of their wealth that loss of value of it, won't matter much. If one however has much of their disposable income tied to one or two expensive cars, a major correction of the resale market (a much bigger one than we've experinced thus far) will really hurt.

-Peter Oh

Last edited by techart 996 #3; 03-28-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
As long as there's always rich people in the world...

Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
willhahn24 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
They build cars to fund their racing. As long as there is a race, there will be ferrari.
+1, they exist to race

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Fellas, Ferrari will need FIAT forever, as much Porsche will be linked to VW. The reason is not necessarily economical but environmental.

In 2015 new rules will be applied in Europe and Porsche for example, would have to charge something like extra 10k in a regular Cayman (2.9l), the best CO2/km car that they have. Can you imagine the price on a Cayenne turbo?

By joining VW (some say that is the real reason), Porsche can average their numbers with several small VW and the overall CO2/km will be within limits.

FIAT owns Ferrari for many years now. In a parallel story, some say that the Commendatore Enzo sold to FIAT in order to avoid a Ford take over which drove H. Ford (II, I believe) nuts and made him spent a bundle to create the GT 40 to defeat Enzo. Ferrari is economically stable but if they are to accounto for CO2 on their own, they will be out of business in Europe after 2015.

Not so sure about this averaging with other cars in the USA. If that is true for the US as well, we might see cinquecentos driving around very soon and even smaller VW.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
torch frc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Falken
If they adapt to the demands of the future...yes.
If they do not...no.
that is true for all companies, good and services.

No one truly knows what the future demands and desires of the world will be...but i assure you that there will always be a demand for premium good, that demand may rise and fall at various times in history...but it will always exist because there will always be persons with the means and the desire for the best.

Speaking specifically of Ferrari. Ferrari has been leader both in the supercar market place and auto racing for decades...and they are usually open to new ideas (aluminium, carbon fibre, F1 tranny's, traction control, now DSG gear boxes) we've even heard rumors and whispers of Ferrari contemplating hybrids and they already made a alt fuel car that they debuted at auto show in the past. I highly doubt that Ferrari will drop the ball in the near future...at least not from an existence point of view.

I personally dont care what powers my future ferrari's (gas, hydrogen, electricity)...as long as they are FAST, Gorgeous and rare thats all that counts in my books.
Electric ferrari....they can keep that sh#*