Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

First time Ferrari buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
ecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to all
First time Ferrari buyer

Hi guys , this is my second thread in the Ferrari section , my first being about the Novitec 430 kit , in which I got some valuable and good insight , so here is hoping I can tap into that wisdom of fellow 6-speeders.

We(my family) are in the market for a Ferrari. This will be our first Ferrari , so I wanted some insight as to which one of the following should make an entry in to our garage first. Since I reside in India (New Delhi) , we do not have any Ferrari dealers/importers anywhere within India, so I have to rely on information from owners and my trips to England to see the cars before purchasing them.

Now from a first timers point of view, which Ferrari would you recommend for the sake of a first time Ferrari exp , regardless of things like road conditions(we reside in the better parts of Delhi so no issues of bad roads) , servicing(can tie up with Ferrari techs from the UK) , etc.

1 - The new F 458
2 - The Ferrari GT - California
3 - The aging , yet exciting - 599

I would like to know this especially , from people who have driven or owned or own or experienced all three , so that I can have a clear picture in my mind. Just for the sake of experiencing a Ferrari for the first time , which one would you recommend.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
May I suggest you post your inquiry on Ferrarichat.com

Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
ecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to all
I would love too , but I am not sure if people there would be as receptive. People here on 6 speed know that I am a legitimate buyer , but I don't know what F-chatters would believe. I'll post my query there soon in any case.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I know know of other people with Enzos, F430 Scuds, etc that have been to the factory and sat in the 458 and were extremely impressed with the interior/exterior/feeling.

The driving aspect seems to be in high praise from the magazines...I'd go 458

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
really depends on what you are looking for. I own a 360, and have driven 599 and california. Haven't really been exposed to the 458 yet. They are really 3 different cars. To me, the 599 is a great touring car, good on long distances, comfortable, elegant. big front engine ferrari v12 is hard to beat. The california to me isn't all that inspiring, but it is the only convertable in the line up if you consider the 16M as discountinued. The new 458 I'm sure will be nice, and if you were looking for a car to track, that would be it. but if you want something for distance on rough roads, then it wouldn't be my choice.

Forums are great for info, but for an investment like this, even if the money isn't significant to you, the time invested in getting one to your location is so great, you should really drive them on one of your expat trips...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turbomx5
really depends on what you are looking for.... you should really drive them on one of your expat trips...
I totally echo the same thought...please drive it first. Also have you given the new PDK turbo a thought. That car will give all the other super cars a run for their money.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
rideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to all
You have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the car. All 3 have excellent abilities and are quite the lookers. Personally I believe the Ferrari California is the ideal GT. 458 would an awesome car for track use and frankly it will be over kill for the street. Sadly last I check there aren't any race track around New Delhi, maybe that will change once India has an F1 track. 599 is nice but again a bit overkill.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
my only concern w/ regards to the 458 is that is a brand new model and problem w/associated w/ it. Having no dealer nearby my sway me into the 599. I just take stomach a Cali. BTW is there a dealer in Mumbai?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
458 gets my vote based on reviews, Mid engine car, latest transmission and other tech. Will you import 458 from UK? is it already available there now?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
If servicing/car laid up doesn't bother you, then go with the newest: 458. It seems to have stellar performance, great looks and for someone with a (family) stable of cars like yours it would be exciting. If open-air is your thing, that would be the only reason to consider the Cali. The 599 isn't new anymore and personally I think the design was poor, but it's hard to deny its performance on either the street or track.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
ScuderiaFerrari is infamous around these parts
The 599 for sure. It is the most beautiful Ferrari's made since the 250, 275, and Daytona. You get a load of power, beautiful looks, and is a THRILL to drive.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
the801group is infamous around these parts
The 599. You wont regret it. In my honest opinion its everything a Ferrari should be (performance wise)
F-chat members are really great!

Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
it all depends on your use. All 3 are completely different cars

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Your chance of buying a California or 458 are slim to nil. Dealer allocation is usually long gone and pre-sold to owners they know and have dealt with over time. Being a new buyer won't put you high up on their lists. And, dealers cannot sell new allocation out of their territory. So, you're stuck dealing with your local dealer. You might get lucky, but don't count on it.

So, from your list, your best opportunity is to purchase a used or left-over 599.

CW

Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
I would say you would be best to start in the 360/430 area. You could experience the vehicles w/o getting too financially involved to see if it's the car for you.

As to the 458, forget it. It will not be available to you for 3-4 years if at all. There are quite a few in line and it's very possible Ferrari will limit the production due to the economy.

The California is abundant but not a true Ferrari feel. It's more of a US styled car. Not really exciting in my opinion.

599 is certainly not an aging car. It's a fabulous car.

Service could be an issue where you are located.

So don't know if this helps, but you should do your homework first to learn about the cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time Ferrari buyer