Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F458 Vs. McLaren MP4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
The MP4 acceleration will be slower by a fair margin: Advantage Ferrai
Styling (opinion): Advantage Ferrari
McClaren vs Ferrari as a brand: Advantage Ferrari
Handling: too soon to tell but if I had to sues Advantage Ferrari
Interior (easiest catergory to choose IMO) Advantage Ferrari
Prestiege Advantage Ferrari
Exclusivity: Advantage MP4 (as a educated guess)

As you can see the choice is simple in my opinion. It seems the MP4 is over priced and should be more in the 150-175 range to compete with an R8 V10.
WOW!! you must really have some insider info! "The MP4 will be slower by a fair margin"

Interior - Ferrari

Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
widebody350 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
just some quick info on the mclaren mp4
firstly, i will be getting one 2nd hand in 2 years. someone i know is getting an allocation in the US for one, and is also going to get the next mclaren supercar, and will sell me his mp4.

anywho

the mp4 is insanely cheap for the technology in the car. in absolutely no way, shape, and or form is it on the same level as a modern day ferrari f458. from the technology of the car, as far as the carbon tub, and the twin turbo flat crank v8, to the seamless dual clutch transmission, the mp4 will have every single car under $500k beat, by a long shot.

also, mclaren is a HUGE company, with an unbelievable technology business that is making tons of money for them... they are a very long ways from being broke.

with that being said, the ferrari 458 is (in my opinion) the best car ferrari has EVER made, with the exception of the f40
The F355 had a flat crank if I'm not mistaken and is arguably one of the best sounding Ferraris or cars in general ever produced. I just hope the turbos don't muffle or destroy the sound, but with some tuning these cars will be even more amazing as a result of coming TT from the factory. UGR MClaren?

I didn't think that it was a cf tub the way the Enzo/others have a cf tub, but a new way of putting a bunch of cf panels together? I'll look for the article where I read something along those lines, and if I'm way off, please correct me.

This transmission is going to be incredible as it can pre-select gears or pre-cog if I remember correctly. Can't wait for this car to come out.

Surprised there aren't more members defending Ferrari as this is the Ferrari section and this involves a car from their biggest rival in F1.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
widebody,
all ferrari v8s are flat crank. what makes the mp4 so sepcial is that it has a flat crank, sub 4 liter engine, with 2 turbo chargers, and the engine still revs to 8500 rpm.

as far as the cf is concerned. the mclaren mp4 is a little different than, for example a CGT. the mp4's cf will not turn yellow

as far as pre selecting gears, every dual clutch transmission does that while youre driving. thats why there are two clutches.

precogging works like the "focus" button on a camera. the DRIVER preselects a gear, making 60-130 rubs a piece of cake, getting out of corners in the right gear etc etc.

the f458 however, is absolutely amazing. its a huge leap from the 430 with respect to power and tecnology. the active aeordynamics are impressive.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

As you can see the choice is simple in my opinion. It seems the MP4 is over priced and should be more in the 150-175 range to compete with an R8 V10.
WHATTTT????

Because you've tested both of them, obviously... Acceleration, handling... Well, I see you aren't biased at all.

Just like this guy:

Originally Posted by YelNsx
F458 cuz it won't overheat on me.
Because we all know the long history the MP4 has with overheating issues, right? I must have been off this planet for a while, during the period of time that MP4's were turning up overheating all over the place. Please tell me more about this overheating issue. You could save me some money with your technical expertise.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
jasper
is this the official first thread of us agreeing on something ? and not arguing ? sweet !

Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ lol! It happens...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really nice
I'm excited about both cars.

In the McLaren info book given out at the unveiling -

MP4-12C prototypes covered a distance equivalent to 40 times around the earth during testing

We have been to the ends of the earth to put our MP4-12C development prototypes through their paces, a grueling one million mile odyssey that has encompassed searing desert heat, bone-chilling Arctic cold, the stop-start grind of urban rush hours and the unrelenting challenge of the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Only by understaking such punishing test could we be sure that we had delivered the essential mix of quality, reliability and durability.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
The sept. issue of CAR magazine has a detailed comparison!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
This post seems a bit harsh

Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
alpine, no offense but you shouldnt be allowed to post opinions. step up to a semi-respectable sports car first.

i remember when i had my audi a few years ago, i wouldnt make posts in the 996tt thread, or this thread, when there were grown ups posting.
although I don't actually agree with any of his opinions, this would be a very boring forum if the only people that could post opinions were actual owners, or people that had first hand experience with the car in question.

As for my opinion between the two cars i would have to see real numbers on the MP4. If its a serious game changer I would pick it, but personally I think its a bit boring looking for a supercar, and I'm not a big fan of the 458's looks either.

can't wait to see the first real comparo tests.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
although I don't actually agree with any of his opinions, this would be a very boring forum if the only people that could post opinions were actual owners, or people that had first hand experience with the car in question.

As for my opinion between the two cars i would have to see real numbers on the MP4. If its a serious game changer I would pick it, but personally I think its a bit boring looking for a supercar, and I'm not a big fan of the 458's looks either.

can't wait to see the first real comparo tests.
McLarens top brass Ron Dennis has promised (boasted) a lot. just hoping he can deliver or A LOT of people are gonna be disappointed

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
evodecal is infamous around these parts
mclaren mp4 nice

Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
mike87 is infamous around these parts

you sound like a fanboy

anyways, i'd rather have the mclaren.

reason being:

let's also keep in the mind mclaren was the group that brought us this:

Last edited by mike87; 08-26-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I've heard (on the internet - in pics like ones above), that there have been 10 reported cases of Ferrari 458's on fire.

Anybody know more about this?

Is it a built-in feature or extra option?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
If the McLaren don't combust then it's the obvious choice!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by gray911
If the McLaren don't combust then it's the obvious choice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F458 Vs. McLaren MP4