Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F458 Vs. McLaren MP4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
are you from Jersey Shore! McLaren bought a 458 to beat it in EVERY CATEGORY period! everything else you cited is a toss up. those in the KNOW: know McLaren (use spell check). you should wait for the comparo!
Nissan did the same thing with the GT-R remember? That caused a ton of questions. Your telling me the car will accelerate to sixty in under 3 seconds and below 10.9 in the quater mile? If it does I will eat my words but when it doesnt you will eat your words. Both car are incredible and thats the bottomw line. I prefer the ferrari but thats just my opinion. The side of the MP4 loks like its from the 90's IMO and the rear and front are nowhere near as nice as the 458 but again this is my opinion.

Also what does spell check have to do with anything? Are you looking down at me because I spelled something wrong on an internet forum? LOL. I am glad to know you have never spelled anything wrong while posting on the forum. You are the only person to ever do so. BRAVO

Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
What is the average ET and MPH of the 1/4 for the 458?

I think 10.9 @ 134 is the extreme, and I doubt it will be reproduced regularly. In fact, I challenge you to find ANY stock 458, besides the one that posted that one time, that ran below 11sec above 132MPH.

Not that the McLaren will beat it in every category, I just want to see if we at least agree on what the bar is set at, before we begin discussing which is the superior performer.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
What is the average ET and MPH of the 1/4 for the 458?

I think 10.9 @ 134 is the extreme, and I doubt it will be reproduced regularly. In fact, I challenge you to find ANY stock 458, besides the one that posted that one time, that ran below 11sec above 132MPH.

Not that the McLaren will beat it in every category, I just want to see if we at least agree on what the bar is set at, before we begin discussing which is the superior performer.
That was the first test so we will have to wait and see what the other rags get out of it. No one knows what numbers we will see elsewhere. Of course I cant show you any times that are equal to that and you cont show me any times that are worse because this was the first US documented test numbers on the car. The other reviews have only used manufacturers number which are always conservative.You are right about having to wait to see what the bar is set at.

Soon enough we will have a comparo where both cars are run the same day on the same track in the same conditions to go by. Until then I am speculating and could be wrong or could be right. What I cant wait to see is the lap times for these 2 beasts on the same track on the same day because this is the true test of the complete package. I will also like to see how you had to drive both cars to get those numbers because we all know now running fast consistent lap times in a GT-R is easier than it most of the competitors cars like a z06, for a driver with littl e to average experience for example. Bottom line is we are lucky to even be able to talk about all of this considering everything going on in the world as we speak and I am very thankfull for that.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
The McLaren will probably be faster than the 458 but since I don't track my cars that's all about bragging rights and I can live with the fact that there will always be a car out there faster than mine. BFD if the McLaren is a little faster; same for the Porsche Turbo: it's always been faster and costs less, too. That didn't reduce demand for the Ferrari and neither will the competition posed by the McLaren. I could buy either but I chose to put my money on the 458 and hope my dealer is being honest when he says mine will arrive early next summer. I can't wait!

While the McLaren is striking-looking, it already looks dated and derivative and generic, like a graphic created for a video game that borrows from many cars but isn't exactly any one of those cars. That's just an opinion and if you like the looks of the McLaren, I'm happy for you. I think the F458 is exponentially better-looking, IMO.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
Nissan did the same thing with the GT-R remember? That caused a ton of questions. Your telling me the car will accelerate to sixty in under 3 seconds and below 10.9 in the quater mile? If it does I will eat my words but when it doesnt you will eat your words. Both car are incredible and thats the bottomw line. I prefer the ferrari but thats just my opinion. The side of the MP4 loks like its from the 90's IMO and the rear and front are nowhere near as nice as the 458 but again this is my opinion.

Also what does spell check have to do with anything? Are you looking down at me because I spelled something wrong on an internet forum? LOL. I am glad to know you have never spelled anything wrong while posting on the forum. You are the only person to ever do so. BRAVO
dude don't hate. don't get your T-hong all up in a bunch i might be eating my words cause if you are the car guy you claim you are; the 458 just did some crazy numbers on automobile magazine. peace my brutha

Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I would buy the 458. The McLaren will surely be a fine car, but I would rather have the Ferrari. The speed delta is meaningless, especially for a road car. Heck, an F430 is already plenty fast...these two are just monsters.

My opinion...

Looks: Both are sharp, but I prefer the Ferrari (the 458's profile is just beautiful).
Sound: Haven't heard the McLaren, but being turbocharged it likely won't sound as good as the NA Ferrari. I heard the 458 the other day and it's got a beautiful tone, not to mention nice burbles and pops on the over-run.
Performance/handling: high/close enough not to matter.
Brand: McLaren is very well respected, but Ferrari is in a league of its own - it's tops, IMO.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned
gt2turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by widebody350
The F355 had a flat crank if I'm not mistaken and is arguably one of the best sounding Ferraris or cars in general ever produced.
what about the 360 challenge ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZ3Gx2mCaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgFQhpi5y4

I just hope the turbos don't muffle or destroy the sound,
actually, they do ! I'm very dissapointed with the sound of the new mclaren, but I'm sure there will be some version without the stupid turbos (maybe with increased capacity and rev limiter, say 4L and 9000 rpm, with ~500 bhp). Anyway, here's the sound of the current model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAMDn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Whsj...eature=related

Last edited by gt2turbo; 09-07-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned
gt2turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
While the McLaren is striking-looking, it already looks dated and derivative and generic, like a graphic created for a video game that borrows from many cars but isn't exactly any one of those cars.
You're absolutely right, the mclaren does indeed look like one of those GTA cars ! But that makes it even cooler (for GTA fans of course)

Last edited by gt2turbo; 09-07-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
as far as looks go, i saw a 458 up in DC this weekend, and it looked pretty damn good. i still can't get over the front of the McLaren... reminds me too much of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
See, I like the Genesis Coupe... Perhaps that is my problem?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
MrBucket is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
The MP4 acceleration will be slower by a fair margin: Advantage Ferrai
Styling (opinion): Advantage Ferrari
McClaren vs Ferrari as a brand: Advantage Ferrari
Handling: too soon to tell but if I had to sues Advantage Ferrari
Interior (easiest catergory to choose IMO) Advantage Ferrari
Prestiege Advantage Ferrari
Exclusivity: Advantage MP4 (as a educated guess)

As you can see the choice is simple in my opinion. It seems the MP4 is over priced and should be more in the 150-175 range to compete with an R8 V10.
How is the 458 going to accelerate faster when its heavier and has less power?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Catalyst is infamous around these parts
I think the MP4 sounds pretty good, perhaps not a high pitch screamer, but it has a nice V8 sound, none of those videos revved it hard, so it is hard to imagine what it sounds like WOT...

Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Recall and official explanation has been released, the wheel arch adhesive was loosing integrity under heat IIRC. And on what planet does the less powerful car with a worse powerband and more weight end up being faster?

The 458 Italia has changed the game in a lot of areas but with Mclaren's attention to detail and purity this car is the next level. Lightweight with a great sounding twin turbo engine that unlike some turbo engines has an N/A like powerband and huge torque.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
There is no way a 570 hp car is trapping 134 mph when other cars are trapping 128 or 129 mph.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
ScottM is infamous around these parts
Does anyone believe that the Iron brakes on the MP4-12C can be lighter than CCBs?
http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/...x#/p11/explode

While McLaren didn't exactly say they were lighter than the specific CCBs that are on the 458 Italia, the implication is there because the 458I is the #1 competitor.

Last edited by ScottM; 03-06-2011 at 02:18 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F458 Vs. McLaren MP4