Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F458 Vs. McLaren MP4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 AM
DriftingTree is infamous around these parts
Great discussion. I am trying to make this decision right now. In the interim, I got a 911tt to quench the bug... I first wanted the 458. After reading so much and seeing ONE, only one, I have started to convert. I have heard of a few people driving their mp4 twice as much as their 458.
Looks, I still think the 458 wins but he Mp4 is so different. Interior is still difficult for me. Performance with both is unreal.
That being said, if I had to make the choice today. I would still order the 458 but not without looking to the rearview just incase I might see a mp4. Still looking for that one little fact, look or personal experience to push me one way or another.....

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I have a 458 and have no interest in the Mclaren. I have been in a couple and don't care for the interior or the overall style. I could care less if the MP4 is a little faster. There is always something faster then whatever you are driving. The 430 Scud was the hot ticket three years ago and now its not even in the mix. Buy whichever one you like because there will always be something better down the road that you will lust after.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I've seen a few MP4's. It's a decent looking car in the right color, but no one I've spoken to thinks it's as sharp as a 458. The build quality seems very good, but the 458 is also very well screwed together. Performance...who cares, they're both too fast for the street. One area where the MP4 is lacking is sound. It just doesn't sound exotic enough. IMO, it sounds too much like a Corvette. That's not an insult by any means, but when you're spending that kind of money you want to hear something super special.

Overall it's a nice car, but it's not a great one, IMO.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
meekrab is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottM
Does anyone believe that the Iron brakes on the MP4-12C can be lighter than CCBs?
http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/...x#/p11/explode

While McLaren didn't exactly say they were lighter than the specific CCBs that are on the 458 Italia, the implication is there because the 458I is the #1 competitor.
They're lighter than the optional carbon brakes on the MP4.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
It makes zero difference.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Would also like to mention that McLaren was an incredible 2.8 seconds faster than 458 at the Top Gear test track. It was much faster than Veyron, Enzo, Zonda, Koengisiegg, etc. The only car that was faster on that track was Ariel Atom V8, and only by 1 second. MP4 is simply incredible, I don't think anything will touch it performance-wise for a while. Another factor that cannot be overlooked is the V8 twin-turbo engine. If this car is that fast stock, imagine what a simple ecu tune will do! McLaren really made a car that's on a different level than anything else right now, I think people don't realize how amazing this car is just yet. Wait a year or so and this car will be universally considered the best modern supercar in the world, no less than McLaren F1 was in the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPZSaHyZGQ
thanks for the vid it clear alot of thing up...

Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
MP4 all the way...it has boost. Way more tune-ability in that car than the 458.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boost Logic
MP4 all the way...it has boost. Way more tune-ability in that car than the 458.
lol! Because, in stock form, the MP4 is slow...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Because, in stock form, the MP4 is slow...
Friends don't let friends drive stock.