Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

458 Options for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Banned
Jon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really nice
Originally Posted by trincap
I've owned three 458's and have a spyder showing up in May. I would actually suggest you not get it for daily use. Rain, salt, storms, shopping carts, etc would keep it off the road and or make for a rather nervous day parking. Keep in mind your 911 had some rear area to put groceries and/or dry cleaning. The Italia really doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I think the Italia is their best car in 20 years but even though it's an utter blast to drive, it's probably not the best daily car. If you need to stick with Ferrari, the Cali or the FF is better. The 911, on the other hand, makes a fine DD. I see them parked on the street all the time and it doesn't garner attention like a Ferrari. It's also not as loud and showy.
For what it's worth, I just drive a modded S5 as a daily but keep the exotics for weekend or occasion drives.

Oh, and I've owned a 430 spyder and R8V10 and I humbly disagree with you. The R8 was a better daily car while the 430 was more fun.
Don't mean to be nosy, but any reason for owning 3 458's within 2 years? I see that you have a had crazy amount of amazing cars. It just seems pointless to buy 3 of the same in that amount of time, I would think the depreciation on them would really hurt. Not sure what kind of work your in but even if I was in the financial situation to purchase that many, and not worry about the loss I'd take each time I'd sell them, I'd probably still just keep one for 3 years or so then get the spyder.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
Wow, I'm sorry. I don't mean to burst your bubble but it really is not a great idea. The 458 can be quiet in comfort mode but it is very recognizable and out there. Also, quiet but loud on startup and loud on rev over 3500 or so. You are going to make a fuss everytime you start it. Let me put it this way, Ferrari says it isn't a daily car. The Cali is a daily car and a great alternative to an SL. The FF could be a daily car although I don't use it as one. You could even use a 599 as a daily car over a 458. The 458 is for fun. Rip down roads and enjoy the suspension and engine. The 911 is a great daily car. After reading your post I drove home from my office 1.9 miles, and counted 12 parked on the street including 1 Turbo and 1 Turbo S. Do you really want that sort of hassle? If you are done with the 911s, go with a Cali or an R8. The R8 is extremely livable. The Cali had a better xmission with the dual clutch paddles. Personally, I'd go with the R8 or maybe even the Bentley but then you look like all the other banker types on the island.
Oh and Jon, maybe I just really like that new car smell?

Last edited by trincap; 02-11-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Trincap,

I don't like convertibles so the Cali is out. I think the FF is THE most unattractive F car I have ever seen. After seeing it yesterday in person I was extremely disappointed. If the FF had a less squarish bulbous rear I think it would have been an option. You have to remember that I'm in a 997TT now and its my DD. I would never get an SL or C4S cab. type car as a DD b/c I hate the feeling of people knowing whom I am and really want and need the ferocity of the powertrain. While it is true that people stare at my TT now they don't see me or know whom I am as my windows are tinted pretty dark. I know the 458 will result in a 100 x more stares, but again, the windows will be tinted and they will never see me or know whom I am. Believe it or not your incorrect in thinking that the 458 is not a DD. While your 100% correct that the Cali seem for oriented for being a DD, the 458 interior is very comfortable. I optioned my car yesterday with the full electric recaro seats (not daytona style) and did very little in the way of foo foo options (ie. no carbon at all - not even on the steering wheel). I agree that the 458 has a harder edge to it than many could handle as a DD, but you must keep in mind that for some of us (me included) this harder edge is what we seek and deeply desire. Hey this is in lieu of that young girlfriend (LOL) so ya gotta cut me a little slack. Thanks again for the great advice.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
Well, one thing you won't be is dissapointed. It's a fantastic car and you will have loads of fun. Congrats!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I have the back up the r8 choice. Been using mine for the most part as a dd for the last 3 years. Its fantastic.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
love the 458.. too bad the roads here on long island are not better

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
The roads in LI/NYC are horrific so I optioned her with the front lift and the AFS front light system (which is mandatory with the front lifter). I'm on my 3rd front lip spoiler for my 997TT and I figure the 458 will cost a bunch more than the TT to replace the front lip spoiler. My dealer was vehemently opposed to the lifter b/c it only lifts a couple of inches but I'll take any help I can get.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tortesq1
The roads in LI/NYC are horrific so I optioned her with the front lift and the AFS front light system (which is mandatory with the front lifter). I'm on my 3rd front lip spoiler for my 997TT and I figure the 458 will cost a bunch more than the TT to replace the front lip spoiler. My dealer was vehemently opposed to the lifter b/c it only lifts a couple of inches but I'll take any help I can get.
BTW, the R8 has a fantastic ride hight for the NE. Im in Center City Philadelphia where the roads are awful...and the R8 does just fine. Been there for like 5 years and havent had any real issues. Otherwise, DEFINITELY opt for the lift!!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
the front end lift comes in handy.. will it be enough for NY roads.. I hope so...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
a1certified is infamous around these parts
I was thinking the exact same thing about the lifter. It has definitely helped with peace of mind getting over all these damn speed humps that Montgomery County, MD seems to like erecting all over my daily commute!