Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

911 to Ferrari

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
Have guys had much success buying a new Ferrari every couple of years and selling the old one close to sticker price? It seems like you could drive a new 458 without the depreciation hit.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by stevely
Maintenance really isn't that bad on the more modern Ferrari's (430 and later), outliers excluded. My 430 just needed the annual $900 fluid change (transmission, oil, brake, etc). Otherwise it's just wear and tear items such as brake pads, tires, and clutch which for people who only drive 3-5k miles per year, won't be replaced during a 1-2 year ownership cycle.

However if you get catastrophic failure, such a manifold destroying an engine, then it can get 5 figure costly. But those cases are pretty rare. That's why you have to do your due diligence in finding a good example & not try to buy the bottom of the barrel. Otherwise it's just a crap shoot.
Good info to know. The clutch service from what I can find is $5400 so not the worst thing in the world for guys used to modifying cars.

How would the manifold destroy the engine?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
new f car owners flip their cars every 6-12 months without any depreciation as long as mileage is kept low (a few thousand). this is one of the reasons you dont see brand new f cars driven every week. they love this game because there is nothing like free ride and not having to worry about service and repairs.

typically, you'll find flippers having at least another exotic as keeper.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stevely
Maintenance really isn't that bad on the more modern Ferrari's (430 and later), outliers excluded. My 430 just needed the annual $900 fluid change (transmission, oil, brake, etc). Otherwise it's just wear and tear items such as brake pads, tires, and clutch which for people who only drive 3-5k miles per year, won't be replaced during a 1-2 year ownership cycle.

However if you get catastrophic failure, such a manifold destroying an engine, then it can get 5 figure costly. But those cases are pretty rare. That's why you have to do your due diligence in finding a good example & not try to buy the bottom of the barrel. Otherwise it's just a crap shoot.
I agree with this...other than an annual of around $1k and other normal consumables like tires, brakes, etc. the 430 is very reliable.
My 05 Spider has been awesome.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Chris Harris just did...
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/08...-personal.html

Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
Has anyone moved from 911 to Ferrari and glad of the transition?

just curious of the experiences of people who have owned / do own both...

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 AM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
Reviving a thread to see if anyone has experience going from 997.1tt cab to a 360 spider. Seems like they are similar in price these days.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I crossed over this year and I still miss the practical use of the Porsches, going to the gym, getting Starbuck's, picking up some groceries for the night and other everyday things. As far as the fun factor (Porsche vs. Ferrari) the Ferrari beats it, but just by a small margin, I have F1 in my Ferrari, so maybe the fun factor slide is only by a small margin, because with my Porsche's I've owed, they all were 6 speed, which makes any car much more fun to drive....
I've been gone a while...rvhpno80 looks like you have crossed back over to the p-car.
Ques: How is the 991 compared to the 997 compared to the 430.

IMO, Ferrari way more fun than Porsche; Porsche way more utilitarian than Ferrari. I have no idea how the 991 stacks up.
It all depends on how the car is going to be used...

A

Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alcav5
I've been gone a while...rvhpno80 looks like you have crossed back over to the p-car.
Ques: How is the 991 compared to the 997 compared to the 430.

IMO, Ferrari way more fun than Porsche; Porsche way more utilitarian than Ferrari. I have no idea how the 991 stacks up.
It all depends on how the car is going to be used...

A
991 vs 997... 991 is bigger and steering feel is worse. engine note is fantastic, as is the more neutral handling. PDK reads your mind and is just perfect.

vs 430... engine note is still better. its a Ferrari!! 991 S PDK may be faster, but a Ferrari is just so much more of an event to drive, or even just to look at.

Porsche = Amazing... but its no Ferrari. my 2 cents. The running costs are more, but well worth it if you can afford it.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I love my TPC tuned, suspended 07 997tt, but that F12 ...... problem is I DD the 911, and I have no interest in an F-car that doesn't also DD. So, just buy it, write off the cost and drive the hell out of it ?

I only wonder what the damn annual vehicle tax would be in VA for an F12. Enough to keep me from buying one ...

Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dyc1077
Reviving a thread to see if anyone has experience going from 997.1tt cab to a 360 spider. Seems like they are similar in price these days.
The look and sound are a major bonus, but you will be pissed about the power a 360 has. I saw one dynoed with exhaust and made 300 rwhp. That is slow as ****

Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
The look and sound are a major bonus, but you will be pissed about the power a 360 has. I saw one dynoed with exhaust and made 300 rwhp. That is slow as ****
that is what I was afraid of. although if it has a great feel of acceleration still and excellent drivability, might be an interesting change. I had a tiptronic cab which was really fast but not as exciting to drive as the pdk version. sounds like maybe the 430 spider is the way to go. will probably take another couple years for that to drop in price to be similar to the turbo cab price though.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
its not slow, but not fast. still enough to overtake most cars on the road.

Originally Posted by dyc1077
that is what I was afraid of. although if it has a great feel of acceleration still and excellent drivability, might be an interesting change. I had a tiptronic cab which was really fast but not as exciting to drive as the pdk version. sounds like maybe the 430 spider is the way to go. will probably take another couple years for that to drop in price to be similar to the turbo cab price though.
you have a fast car, so anything else will be a downgrade in that regard. however, you seem to want a change. go drive a 360 and see. the 430 is no slouch, but its still slow compared to a 997tt.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
MikeLamborghini is infamous around these parts
Mondial convertible

Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
Has anyone moved from 911 to Ferrari and glad of the transition?

just curious of the experiences of people who have owned / do own both...

Thank you!
I flipped to a Mondial convertible. I loved it except for the super low 1st gear. Other than that it was a fun car and much prettier than the 911.It was great as I had 2 little boys.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by huy
991 vs 997... 991 is bigger and steering feel is worse. engine note is fantastic, as is the more neutral handling. PDK reads your mind and is just perfect.

vs 430... engine note is still better. its a Ferrari!! 991 S PDK may be faster, but a Ferrari is just so much more of an event to drive, or even just to look at.

Porsche = Amazing... but its no Ferrari. my 2 cents. The running costs are more, but well worth it if you can afford it.
Im not sure how a 991 is faster than 430

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
This is a weird conversation... When the Ferrari is the slower more fun car, but justifiable. Weird times we live in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 to Ferrari