Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

911 to Ferrari

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This is a weird conversation... When the Ferrari is the slower more fun car, but justifiable. Weird times we live in.
Faster doesnt mean better.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
Faster doesnt mean better.
I know. But when discussing performance cars (fast cars, specifically), usually faster = better performance = better.

Clearly there is a line here, but it is a moving line, based on each individual's preferences.

It was just funny to read - "But the Ferrari is more fun" - as if making an excuse why it's okay.

Please don't take this out of context - I completely agree. It just sounds weird.

*edit - caveat: only when comparing a Ferrari to other cars (don't care which, Porsche, Z06, GT-R, Tesla S, etc...).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
I agree that faster isn't always better. As the 360 will be my next sports car. But,I am a racer and a speed freak. I will most likely keep my Corvette for the track and raw power and speed. The F car will just be fun because of the sound, look, and F1 Trans

Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Yes. Its the whole package that counts. Speed, sound...The way 360 transfers power to road is amazing. Even if it slower that a 997 Turbo it doesnt make feel you are slow. And if true what 430 owners say, that 430 and 360 is day and night, so you can imagine of how capable is this car. Ferraris are among the fastest cars in the world as long as you can afford them: 430 Scuderia, 458, 599GTO, FF, all these are first line sports cars

Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM
MikeLamborghini is infamous around these parts
I know. But when discussing performance cars (fast cars, specifically), usually faster = better performance = better.

Clearly there is a line here, but it is a moving line, based on each individual's preferences.

It was just funny to read - "But the Ferrari is more fun" - as if making an excuse why it's okay.

Please don't take this out of context - I completely agree. It just sounds weird.

*edit - caveat: only when comparing a Ferrari to other cars (don't care which, Porsche, Z06, GT-R, Tesla S, etc...).
I'm not sure the speed can be used on the average city streets. I took my Mondial to 147-top down) That was as fast as I wanted to go on Rt 17 from Myrtle Beach. 130 felt great crusing

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 AM
Personally if i could upgrade i would go to a Ferrari again, a 430. The only non Ferrari car i would tempted to own is a Z06

Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
Im not sure how a 991 is faster than 430
this is my experience having tracked both the 991S and 430 (among many other cars), but i did a search for you since my word isn't enough.

you will see its not just faster than the F430, but faster than the Scuderia and 997.1 Turbo. good day and thanks for doubting me.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ounding-7-37-9

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by huy
this is my experience having tracked both the 991S and 430 (among many other cars), but i did a search for you since my word isn't enough.

you will see its not just faster than the F430, but faster than the Scuderia and 997.1 Turbo. good day and thanks for doubting me.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ounding-7-37-9
Τhanx for sharing the info But if you look at lap times on different tracks you will see that even an Impreza Sti can be sometimes faster that a 430.
Is it really faster? My friends 430 has anti spin activated on 5th gear with 200 kmh...

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeLamborghini
I'm not sure the speed can be used on the average city streets. I took my Mondial to 147-top down) That was as fast as I wanted to go on Rt 17 from Myrtle Beach. 130 felt great crusing
See - that's just it. With today's street cars, you can apply that power hundreds of times each trip each day, without incident that would be posted on youtube. The notion that this performance and speed can't be used is not applicable any more. It can be used almost everywhere all of the time. Sure, not top speed, but everything else - yes. Even in your example - you came nowhere near the top speed, but enjoyed the performance under the top speed. As I do each day, in the cars I drive (whether on or off the road courses).

In my experiences in the 360 (and 360CS), the speed is quite useable. And I'll add - there in nothing that applies power to the ground quite the same as a Ferrari. A base 599 was the most amazing drive I've ever had in my life. Sure, it may be slower on paper, but I've never felt like my car was ripping into the pavement with it's claws extended, while eating asphalt to fuel to the car to go faster.

Personally if i could upgrade i would go to a Ferrari again, a 430. ...
I'd ask why you say this, but I've already asked, and I already know. It

Last edited by jaspergtr; 01-05-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Very different driving experience between the 991 and 430... but having owned and driven them back to back, the 991 is quite an astonishing car....and yes, just as fast as the 430.

I'm a bit surprised at the link showing a 991 faster than a scuderia though....I'd be curious to know if anything else was changed on the 991 in the vid other than just race seats?

Attached Images  

Last edited by BrandonH; 01-05-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Its this 991 you speak of the turbo?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Its this 991 you speak of the turbo?
My guess is - no, since it doesn't exist yet.

The 991 Carrera 2 S has posted wonderful times so far. I can only imagine that the Turbo/Turbo S/GT3/GT2 will net even better times. Great performance, but then we are comparing a brand new car to one a few years old.

If we are going to compare equals - we should list the 458 vs 991.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of

If we are going to compare equals - we should list the 458 vs 991.
Definitely not equals.....not even close....458 is on a completely different level.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
It's funny how most people equate performance to acceleration.
No one has touched upon the handling of the Ferrari vs a Porsche. Try taking a 360 or 430 on the track or on a canyon run vs a 991 yourself and see how you do. See how you "feel." Tell us which car has better steering input, which car understeers or oversteers, which has body roll or feels more balanced, which feels more agile, which has more compression or rebound ... These factors to me equate to performance.
Any monkey can press the pedal to the medal on a drag strip.
But can you really "drive" your car and handle a turn by braking into entry and transitioning to throttle acceleration while letting the steering unwind and keeping the car under control? See which car does that better for you, 360/430 or 991, or better yet 458 if you want to compare contemporary engineering.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by plastique999
Any monkey can press the pedal to the medal on a drag strip. ...
See which car does that better for you, 360/430 or 991, or better yet 458 if you want to compare contemporary engineering.
You sound like me, now.

But - like most Americans - this is what we do.

And I agree that if we are comparing current tech/engineering, we should stay on the same playing field - and I feel the 458 is superior, still. I say this of course, having never driven a 991 Turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 to Ferrari