Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

911 to Ferrari

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
You sound like me, now.

But - like most Americans - this is what we do.

And I agree that if we are comparing current tech/engineering, we should stay on the same playing field - and I feel the 458 is superior, still. I say this of course, having never driven a 991 Turbo.
I do think it is fair to compare a 991 to a 458, they are just two very different car, one is close to 2.5 times more on base price alone. Not that price always = that much better. Even the upcoming turbo will not be near a 458 with a few options.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by plastique999
It's funny how most people equate performance to acceleration.
No one has touched upon the handling of the Ferrari vs a Porsche. Try taking a 360 or 430 on the track or on a canyon run vs a 991 yourself and see how you do. See how you "feel." Tell us which car has better steering input, which car understeers or oversteers, which has body roll or feels more balanced, which feels more agile, which has more compression or rebound ... These factors to me equate to performance.
Any monkey can press the pedal to the medal on a drag strip.
But can you really "drive" your car and handle a turn by braking into entry and transitioning to throttle acceleration while letting the steering unwind and keeping the car under control? See which car does that better for you, 360/430 or 991, or better yet 458 if you want to compare contemporary engineering.
I don't think I have the ***** to go round the corners with a 991 in the twisty mountain road like I would in a 458. 991 is a great sport car to drive, for the money, it is an excellent car. 458 is an experience.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Definitely not equals.....not even close....458 is on a completely different level.
+1. But I think Porsche have a good shot on build quality and consistency. . But if we do just the basic comparison: look/design, engine note and driving experience, you be the judge. There is no point to compare these two - v6 vs v8, huge gap in price...

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mdc
458 is an experience.
/thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
There are many different ways to compare two or more cars.
If we compare them by track performance, we may put a 430 next to a Lotus Exige S
We can use the performance factor to compare GTR with 997 Turbo S for example.
Or the price factor, lets say supercars of around 100K $, like a fully loaded GTR vs Z06 vs BMW M3 or M5 (whatever is closest to that price range)...

Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Depends on the 911 i guess..Ive driven many of both cars and love them all. But i prefer my 911. And when some of you say the 911 isnt as much of a car as a ferrari i definitely disagree.. My car can run circles on pretty much all the ferrari's out there and its a major adrenaline rush ever-time i get in the car. Maybe if you guys are comparing a base model carrera to a 430 then yes(but why would you do that?) atleast compare cars equally so maybe a carrera S to a 430.. but say a GT2 to a lineup of ferrari's ? no way..Go drive a gt2 or gt2 RS and your hair will be blown back with the level of performance of this car. Anyways just .2 on the comparison, both brands have an array of amazing cars!

Last edited by TrackAddict997; 01-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
... v6 vs v8...
Wut?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by porscheboy997
Depends on the 911 i guess..Ive driven many of both cars and love them all. But i prefer my 911. And when some of you say the 911 isnt as much of a car as a ferrari i definitely disagree.. My car can run circles on pretty much all the ferrari's out there and its a major adrenaline rush ever-time i get in the car. Maybe if you guys are comparing a base model carrera to a 430 then yes(but why would you do that?) atleast compare cars equally so maybe a carrera S to a 430.. but say a GT2 to a lineup of ferrari's ? no way..Go drive a gt2 or gt2 RS and your hair will be blown back with the level of performance of this car. Anyways just .2 on the comparison, both brands have an array of amazing cars!
GT2 against a Scud would be a fun battle

Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
mdc
Wut?

now you are getting technical on me , OK, flat-six

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
now you are getting technical on me , OK, flat-six
... indeed.

Yeah, all I was suggesting is that some were comparing a 991 C2S to an F430. That's like comparing a C5Z06 to a 2012 GT-R. While both great performers, they offer a completely different experience.

When comparing anything old vs new, usually the newer has some new usable feature, and the old one has a unique (perhaps intangible) trait that doesn't get equaled in some people's eyes (996 vs 993).

Once we step over that line from preference to performance, we should stay on common ground (model year, or at least equivalent grades, comparing the 458 to the Turbo, instead of the base Carrera, etc...).

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
mdc
... indeed.

Yeah, all I was suggesting is that some were comparing a 991 C2S to an F430. That's like comparing a C5Z06 to a 2012 GT-R. While both great performers, they offer a completely different experience.

When comparing anything old vs new, usually the newer has some new usable feature, and the old one has a unique (perhaps intangible) trait that doesn't get equaled in some people's eyes (996 vs 993).

Once we step over that line from preference to performance, we should stay on common ground (model year, or at least equivalent grades, comparing the 458 to the Turbo, instead of the base Carrera, etc...).
, if Porsche keep increasing their price, it will be like buying Ferrari soon, minus the wait.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
... indeed.

To compare equal grades New to New is this:

Exotic sports: Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren
Top shelf sports: Porsche
Luxury sports: amg, bmw m, Audi s
Performance sports: viper, corvette, gtr
Muscle: srt, mustang, camaro, etc. self explanatory

But the reason I posted on this thread is because once cars go used, you can cross between tiers I.e. you can now get a used car from a higher price tier at the price of a New car in the lower price tier. Even if the car is older generation, it still is informative to get people's feedback. I personally like the 360 spider but being two generations old wonder what it is like compared to a generation newer 997 turbo which I used to have. Having recently done a track event, I know I will probably never even get to 80 percent of these cars true ability especially on the street. Most important to me is off the line and through the gears performance as well as cornering at say 75 percent of the limit.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by plastique999
GT2 against a Scud would be a fun battle
Oh yes! my buddy actually has a black/yellow scud and a blue/red 458 and we drive together all the time. Hes never come out to the track with me so we havent compared on the track but straight line street driving i had him beat. LOVE his scud though, i have driven it many times and it is an amazing machine. Very go-kart like handling.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
... indeed.

Agreed ++1

Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Lotus Man is infamous around these parts
I'd like to own a 997 GT3 some day. I have to agree that comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari is difficult -- given that both has their own unique characters. So my solution is to own them all, eventually. My addiction will end when I add the 997 GT3 and the Gallardo SE. Then I'll have a model from each marque that I really want. It's unfortunate that garage space in Boston commands such a premium. I may have to invest in a small warehouse / barn.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 to Ferrari