Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Question: California Smog & Registration on a Euro 550M?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:38 AM
riozilla is infamous around these parts
Question: California Smog & Registration on a Euro 550M?

Hi -

I'm looking at a 2000 550 Maranello Euro that was federalized by Amerispec.

I am trying to investigate whether I will have any difficulties registering or passing smog inspection in California.

I'm told (by the dealer) that if I can do the emissions test WITHOUT the OBDII and by having the smog tester insert the sensor in the exhaust pipes, it will pass fine.

Does anybody have any experience on this matter? I cannot find information at the DMV site about whether this is how smog checks can be conducted..

Anybody here have a Euro that has passed smog and registered OK in California? I've even written to Dick @ Amerispec to inquire for his thoughts on this.

If I can find another car that is US spec where I don't have to deal with these hassles, believe me - I will take it - but this one is the right price, miles and condition (subject to PPI of course!).

Thanks in advance,

Rio

Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
is the car outside of CA? if it's in CA, dealer/seller has to pass smog for you to sell it.

is euro spec any different than us spec from emission perspective? it has a OBDII and will pass the sniff test right?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Car is located in Austin, TX - I don't think it has OBDII.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:40 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Hi, I have a euro 360 and from what I have learned, unless someone owned the car in CAli, most of the federalizations are 49 states legal with, of course, California the exception. My understanding is that you have to go through pretty much the same process again to get registration in California.
Let us know what you find out. Dick Merritt will know for sure.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies - I ended up turning in a different direction recently and just pulled the trigger on a 2005 Aston Martin DB9!

Will share pics/thoughts (in the AM section) when she arrives in a week or so..

Old 11-25-2006, 12:11 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Big switch, can't wait to hear your drive impressions and see the pics. I really like the AM's and bet the value was excellent as they don't seem to have very good resale. Nice car.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM
bayareaferrari is infamous around these parts
I almost bought that 550. it is a 48 state car and can not be converted unless you want to spend some big $$$'s. Great car but will not happen for CA.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bayareaferrari
I almost bought that 550. it is a 48 state car and can not be converted unless you want to spend some big $$$'s. Great car but will not happen for CA.
/So did you register the car wothout any change ?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 AM
I did not buy it, only looked into it and passed as I live in CA

Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
/So did you register the car wothout any change ?
Abdulla, He recently got a Silver DB9.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
OH thank you I'm asking because I have my friend here in denver who shipped a DIABLO from Qatar and he's not be able to register it

Last edited by cayenne_ksa; 12-11-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:37 PM
That white TT is geat looking...Always like them in white..

Old 12-11-2006, 04:50 PM
thank you .........