Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Can YOU afford a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
Can YOU afford a Ferrari?

Saw this article. Makes me want to still play with Porsche's.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
That's depressing. Both the monetary value and some of the repairs. The entire steering system shouldn't need to be replaced by 25k miles in ANY car, much less one that costs that much. I seriously doubt a CGT or murcielago needs these kinds of repairs in such a short mileage span. That's the kind of repair record you expect to see on some super-low budget pacific rim car.

And before anyone goes off about how it's a supercar, driven harder, blah blah blah... I'll bet a lot of the carreras on this forum have seen more track time without half that many repairs. Or, for front engined cars, some of the vipers rolling around this forum. They might break a rear diff with 1100+ hp, but never a steering rack.

Last edited by Gramicci101; 02-06-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
I've had my 360 for just over 6 months and cost of ownership has been zero beyond purchase price, gas and insurance. I did put on a Capristo exhaust but that was a choice I made and shouldn't factor into cost. Many of the items mentioned in the article were also excessive such as the Tubi exhaust. Tires etc are also expenses that would be associated with any car, not just a Ferrari.

By my calculations, my used 2002 996TT cost me just over $2.70 mile to own and I did not factor in the repairs covered by warrantee as they did such as exhaust leak, failed clutch slave cylinder, failed navigation system, failed remote key, failed door switch, failed hydraulics for rear spoiler, failed battery, creaking dashboard, and failed MAF sensor.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
That's a stupid article. 1st off, the car is 9yrs old. How can you blame cost on road rash, 3m bra's & Tubi? Other then the steering box, I didn't see anything out of line, I actually thought even the 15,000 mile service was cheap at $2665 including tires. His 1st year total of $1.12/mile for 4000 miles is wrong...that was for nearly 18,000miles. Just b/c warranty ran out, doesn't mean that stuff didn't wear before.

Out of the $65k, there is a minimum of $22k for personalizing, tires etc...not including routine maint. Not saying it isn't expensive, it is a deceiving article though.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
No less depressing than the depreciation of a Porsche.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I recall seeing a scanned repair bill showing $30k+ on a 360 that needed a tune up + other minor things.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
I think it's a non-sense article...if you can buy a Ferrari you can "take care" and handle it!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 AM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lager99

Out of the $65k, there is a minimum of $22k for personalizing, tires etc...not including routine maint. Not saying it isn't expensive, it is a deceiving article though.
True, I guess he kind of wants to glorify the fact that if you have a ferrari you = baller. I hate people who do that, especially like in those VH1 shows that saturate the prices of things, and make a big deal out of them.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Not so bad if you think of it and you have to deduct wheel refinish and spoiler repair...try owning a 993...

Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I recall seeing a scanned repair bill showing $30k+ on a 360 that needed a tune up + other minor things.
I saw that too but I believe it was approx. $15k and included a new clutch. If I recall it was a Euro car with 15k miles on it and no warranty.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Seriously if you beat the hell of any car its going to break. Anyone who thinks you cant break any car driving hard doesn't drive hard...end of story. Not to mention if you own one under warranty you are fine, I would love to see them compare the cost of owning a 430 spider or a 599 to any other car. I can see it now "after 3000 miles of ownership i sold the car, never paid to fix anything, and I made 80k over msrp" now who is ahead.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lager99
That's a stupid article.
Agreed. Besides, if you're buying an older F-car that is out of warranty, learning to pull your own wrenches drops the maintenance damage by a royal $hitload.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
"the license plate frame was replaced for $124.99"

Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pilone
I think it's a non-sense article...if you can buy a Ferrari you can "take care" and handle it!
Exactly. Hell, the first service on the MB SLR (1-3k), they pull the motor and replace the spark plugs.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Under PSI
I've had my 360 for just over 6 months and cost of ownership has been zero beyond purchase price, gas and insurance.
most, if not everyone that i've talked to have had no problems (actual owners)...but they also drive their cars as often as they can.... drive it and you will be fine... let it sit and accumulate dust, etc., you'll probably be one of the few that have problems...

modern day ferraris are reliable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can YOU afford a Ferrari?