Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Ferrari waiting list now 24 to 36 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about

05/08/07, 01:02pm, EDT

The standard wait time for a new Ferrari has crept past the two year mark, according to a new report in the Wall Street Journal. In some cases, that figure is as high as three years.

Even with output at an all-time-high of 5,700 cars in 2006, supply can't match demand. A few years ago, chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo famously said Ferrari would never sell more than 5,000 cars a year. The company has since passed that milestone, but it has done nothing to meet the increase in demand from the Middle East and Asia.

As Ferrari dealer Michael Mastrangelo explained to the Journal, by the time a customer receives his or her car, a new or updated model has already been introduced — a frustrating scenario to say the least. Mastrangelo said his customers wait an average of three years. And when those cars do arrive, a price above MSRP is a safe bet.

“It’s very hard to come into a dealership right now and put in a new order if you are not already a customer,” Mastrangelo said. “When I get a young person, what I say is, let’s start with a used car.”

Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 PM
onetwo is infamous around these parts
“It’s very hard to come into a dealership right now and put in a new order if you are not already a customer,” Mastrangelo said. “When I get a young person, what I say is, let’s start with a used car.”
How much cash does it take these days for a dealer to forget that you're a first time buyer and order you up an F430 Coupe immediately? Everyone has a price.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by onetwo
How much cash does it take these days for a dealer to forget that you're a first time buyer and order you up an F430 Coupe immediately? Everyone has a price.
Exactly. Gimme a break, dealer.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
wch
wch is infamous around these parts
"How much cash does it take these days for a dealer to forget that you're a first time buyer and order you up an F430 Coupe immediately?"

That may not do you any good in the Ferrari world. A lot of cash may get you a new car, but probably not an ordered car. Chances are very good that all of the folks on the list want their cars badly and have already spent with the dealer far more than whatever premium you are offering. No one is going to be overly impressed by someone walking in the door and laying a pile of cash on the desk - everyone involved has a lot of cash.

Of course, there are always, always exceptions ....

Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
That used line is a honk of ****.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
GDautosport is infamous around these partsGDautosport is infamous around these parts
it was always that long

Last edited by GDautosport; 05-10-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:05 PM
GDautosport is infamous around these partsGDautosport is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wch
"How much cash does it take these days for a dealer to forget that you're a first time buyer and order you up an F430 Coupe immediately?"

That may not do you any good in the Ferrari world. A lot of cash may get you a new car, but probably not an ordered car. Chances are very good that all of the folks on the list want their cars badly and have already spent with the dealer far more than whatever premium you are offering. No one is going to be overly impressed by someone walking in the door and laying a pile of cash on the desk - everyone involved has a lot of cash.

Of course, there are always, always exceptions ....
anyone who wants to bring a pile of cash, can just buy the car over list. There are many of them available, with delivery mileage.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
wch
wch is infamous around these parts
"anyone who wants to bring a pile of cash, can just buy the car over list. There are many of them available, with delivery mileage."

I was talking about ordering, not buying - huge difference. And there aren't "many" 599s, though there certainly are delivery mile 430s available at a premium.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by wch
"anyone who wants to bring a pile of cash, can just buy the car over list. There are many of them available, with delivery mileage."

I was talking about ordering, not buying - huge difference. And there aren't "many" 599s, though there certainly are delivery mile 430s available at a premium.
little bit harder for a 599. But as far as ordering goes, as long as you buy a car over msrp, they will let you order one, as you now became one of their customers.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
just to add: you will have no problem finding a 599 either, except that they are going for over 500k as of now

Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GDautosport
little bit harder for a 599. But as far as ordering goes, as long as you buy a car over msrp, they will let you order one, as you now became one of their customers.
Well what you said used to be the case, but now everything has changed. Ferrari no longer mandates you have to sell new cars at MSRP, so all the people who bought used 430s and 360 for retarded prices are screwed. A lot of dealers are just saying tough ****, its 80k over or more and if you don't like sue me, but don't forget we don't have a contract. There is no certainty with ferraris these days and I would be very carefull with buying used cars over market value. Honestly if you can't buy one at msrp from the dealer I would either pay the market price for a new car, or not do anything at all. The whole "you are a customer if you buy a used car" thing is pretty much extinct.

Everything at Ferrari is changing just be careful guys.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ttgangsta
The whole "you are a customer if you buy a used car" thing is pretty much extinct.

Everything at Ferrari is changing just be careful guys.
WOW!! That is just sad. I was looking at a 2004 360 at Ferrari of Dallas. There price was a bit high but their claim was "thats the only way to get in the family". I.E. you buy a used car over MSRP and we put you on the list. The more expensive the car the higher up you will be on the list. I felt the guy was honest. I just didn't have the stomach to pay more than MSRP for a 3 year old car with 2 previous owners.

This is the car BTW. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140116423641

If somebody wants more details about the car they can PM me.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ritesh
WOW!! That is just sad. I was looking at a 2004 360 at Ferrari of Dallas. There price was a bit high but their claim was "thats the only way to get in the family". I.E. you buy a used car over MSRP and we put you on the list. The more expensive the car the higher up you will be on the list. I felt the guy was honest. I just didn't have the stomach to pay more than MSRP for a 3 year old car with 2 previous owners.

Hey he could be legit it depends on the dealer more than anything. There have been a few cases that I can remember on ferrarichat of horror stories about guys buying multiple 430s and 360s at retarded prices based on the promise that they would get to spec their own car, but their orders kept getting pushed back and pushed back and they have no legal recourse. You just can't do business with a handshake anymore...

Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ritesh

That's strange. I just bought an 04 575 from Boardwalk and they were very competitive on my price. I was happy with the transaction. I could maybe understand if it was a Spider but that's kinda strange for a 360 Coupe?

Edit: That's one of the best looking 360 coupes I've seen. It looks like it has some great options. Maybe that justfied their price?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DimNSlow

Too bad their used cars are way over priced. They tried to sell my dad a used 599 for 250k over the sticker of a brand new one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.