Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

NEED to paint garage Floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM
porshaah is infamous around these parts
NEED to paint garage Floor

Does anyone know what i can use to paint or refinish my floor? I have painted the cement floor over a few times but the paint always manages to rub off.
Any new products/finishes out there?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
concrete floor epoxy should do the trick

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Rustoleum makes a garage floor epoxy that looks very nice. Figure about $100 per stall to put it down. A friend of mine just did his floors which look amazing. I am have a couple of kits ready for my garage, but may be running out of warm enough weather for this year.....

Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 AM
1SIKCAB is infamous around these parts
Can anybody recommend any contractors that specialize in painting garage floors in the L.A./Pasadena area?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
I just recently used this company's products to do my floor. The price is a bit higher than the Home Depot stuff, but I was tired of putting that sh** down every 2 years. These guys can recommend a good installer too.

www.garagecoatings.com

The stuff is awesome. My floor shines like a piece of glass.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I used regular stone paint from a local paint store

Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
porshaah is infamous around these parts
thanks guys for the info.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 AM
oufly2 is infamous around these parts
This stuff is the real deal

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/index.php

This is what I used, very happy with it. 2 part epoxy dries quickly, could do it yourself if you plan ahead. If you want complete tips and instructions let me know.

My new construction floor cracked pretty bad over the winter and I used this stuff and concrete crack filler to make it good as new.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oufly2
http://www.epoxy-coat.com/index.php

This is what I used, very happy with it. 2 part epoxy dries quickly, could do it yourself if you plan ahead. If you want complete tips and instructions let me know.

My new construction floor cracked pretty bad over the winter and I used this stuff and concrete crack filler to make it good as new.
Did you order directly from the website, as I'm also interested in this stuff. I have a new construction.. luckily the floor hasn't cracked over last winter but I just want to clean it up a bit. Jealous of some of the garages on this forum. Anyways, could you give me some tips you used before I order this stuff. Is it simple for me to do??

Thanks man!

Bojan

Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
OK, I ordered directly from them. It was alot more$$ when I ordered it, there is a good deal going on now.

Prep is the most importand I used a diamond grinder to scuff the floor. took forever I have since learned you can rent a commercial unit from rental places or heavy equipment shops. Whatever it cost it is worth it.

If you have nice new concrete the kit comes with acid etch which I sure works almost as good. If you have paint or ****ty epoxy on the floor diamond grinding should be a must.

I recomend ordering one more kit than they recommend for your square footage.Divide your garage into 10x10 sections and do the math to work out how much part A ad B to mix to get the right amount for each section per how much you order.

The most important thing is to have as many roller heads as you have pours. The kit comes with one roller head which is a joke because 10 minutes after your first pour it is hard as a rock.

Get a kitchen timer and give it to your wife or friend, you have about 7 minutes to get it spead out by 10 minutes you should be throwing the colored flakes in the air. The rubber squeegee they give you I recommend putting a screw through on the handle you put it on. My first pour it fell off and I was running around like crazy.

Work from back to front, overlap the previous pour by about a foot and always use a new roller for each section. Get yourself a bunch of plastic grocery bags to help grab and change the rollers after each pour, don't wait till thay are hard as a rock, they will be hot as hell so use the bag to grab it and pull it off.

Once you start you can't stop, so have some help, double check your math, and have everything ready.

example.
my garage 30x30=900 SQ ft

9 pours at 10x10

divide all your part A you have a divide by 9 do the same with part B but remember it is a 2-1 mix I think? some multiply part B by two.

You can use the smaller buckets to measure out your A and B and the big buckets to mix with a 1/2 inch drill. carefull not to let the expoxy get in the drill head when I was done my drill was epoxied solid.

I ordered three kits for 900 SQ FT. better to have more than less when spreading it out. A friend ordered one kit for a 1200 Sq Ft garage I was going to help him but he doesnt listen and a year later the epoxy is in buckets sitting in his garage. If he ever does get to it I'm sure it will be a total train wreck.

It came be done, it was hectic but fun, when you are done you will be proud of your work. If you follow my advice.

TC
call me anytime 845-724-1209
Keith

Last edited by oufly2; 11-30-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned
Meister is infamous around these parts
^ What he said is exactly what I was going to post. I looked into doing mine, but the concrete is 30 years old, cracked, oil stained, and there is no vapor barrier I decided to go with Race Deck tiles.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
show vs function

I looked at race deck also, very nice and easy but it is all show no function.

If you are looking for a display/storage solution it is great, but if it is for a working garage I would not recommend it. A good oil spill would be a total pain to clean with those tiles.

Different solutions for different applications.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Banned
mknos is infamous around these parts
If you are building from the the ground up, have the concrete colored before it is poured I had the chamce to do in one of my shops. I then clear sprayed clear over it. Your can touch up just a spot of the clear and it matchs. I had a few large items dropped which chip the concrete but it was gray all the way through so other then the hole you could really tell.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
georgegv is infamous around these parts
Garage floor coating

I just want to let everyone know about this company that just coated my two home's three car garages. They are Premier Garage and they ground down both floors with diamond disc commercial grinders and two days later I was able to drive onto the floor. They guarantee the coating for 10 years! The floor looks unbelievable!