Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage build out, on the cheap:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Ispeed is infamous around these parts
Garage build out, on the cheap:

I flew out to California to build out my friend's garage. All I had was my tool belt and a borrowed circular saw and cordless drill. I am a finish carpenter by trade, but had to leave all the good tools at home.
First is before pic. My friend is in a wheelchair, otherwise he would have done it himself.
About $1400 for materials; and maybe 3 days of work. A big improvement anyways.

Attached Images      
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Niels E46 M3 is infamous around these parts
nice work! I am sure your friend will enjoy it!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:56 PM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
very clean garage........nice organization

Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
good man, nice of you to go out of your way to help a friend out. the cabinets are from HD?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
The cabinets were from Lowes, and came in a flat box...assembly required but cheap. The base cabinets were a unit 72" long and the wall cabinets were a 54" unit (all for laundry room use).
The counter top can be bought up to 12' long, but we added a layer of plywood beneath to give it more strength. The slat wall is a specialty item and a little harder to locate. The mirrored back splash is lexan, I don't think real glass mirror would last long in the garage.
The total materials cost was really cheap compared to metal cabinets, and each has merit due to budget and intended use. Some kind of stainless counter top would last forever, but then the formica is replaceable for cheap money if needed some day.
p.s. I even bought my own airfare out there; you have to help your friends...

Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
stevespai is infamous around these parts
Great job esp. considering the lack of tools. Props to flying out to help a friend as well

Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
It's always great when you can help a friend, isn't it? Looks like you did a fantastic job! That trike in the last pic is awesome!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Great job, and its a real amazing thing you did for your friend, lets just say he is a lucky guy to have a friend like you. Great job!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks, and anybody would do the same for a friend who is in a chair and can't do the work himself.
It was pretty funny heading out there when my friend said he could borrow a ton of tools from his neighbor; and then to be there and have only a saw and drill. No belt sander, palm sander, clamps, nail guns, chop saw, table saw, jig saw, etc. Pretty funny.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks, and anybody would do the same for a friend who is in a chair and can't do the work himself.
It was pretty funny heading out there when my friend said he could borrow a ton of tools from his neighbor; and then to be there and have only a saw and drill. No belt sander, palm sander, clamps, nail guns, chop saw, table saw, jig saw, etc. Pretty funny.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
1999c4co is infamous around these parts
cabinet pulls

One thing that you may pass onto your friend is to replace the cabinet pulls on those units. I did my garage with the exact same "build em yourself" cabinets from Home Depot. I was able to make a 100% increase in astetics by simply replacing those stock cheap plastic pulls with some nice contemporary satin finished ones from ebay that i paid around $2 each for. The $30 investment made them look like cabinets costing twice as much. Just a heads up and since the holes are already there he would simply have to unscrew the old ones and bolt the new ones in. Kudos for helping your buddy out as well....

Regards,

Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
achtung6 is infamous around these parts
Your friend is David Bailey? That's awesome! If he were my pal, I'd do the same for him!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
looks good.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by achtung6
Your friend is David Bailey? That's awesome! If he were my pal, I'd do the same for him!
That's him, awesome guy. Way too bad what happened to him being in a wheelchair these last 21 years.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
That's very nice of you to help out a friend. Great work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage build out, on the cheap: