Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Narrow garage doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Mike R. is infamous around these parts
Narrow garage doors

My garage door entrances (for lack of a better term) seem a bit on the narrow side. When pulling in with an SUV, I've got to turn the side mirrors in. We just picked up a new SUV and I'm nervous wifey is getting awfully close to the sides. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any type of padding that could be installed on the sides of the garage door entrances? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
mr2gork is infamous around these parts
i've wrapped interior garage/house beams with those foam "noodles" that the kids play with in swimming pools... they're like two dollars at wal mart in the summer time. it is very similar to rollcage padding only larger and less expensive. that was the first thing that came to mind. of course they come in all kinds of "fun" colors and would need to be painted/covered to be more appropirate for a homes exterior. my other thought was obviously make sure she/anyone else doesn't put to much faith into anything that you use as it's still going to be absorbing the brunt of a very heavy object, even at very low speeds things can get damaged quickly.

best of luck, i'll check back and see what you end up going with!

Last edited by mr2gork; 04-24-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add you may want to paint the noodles!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Mike R. is infamous around these parts
Nice idea, but I'm not sure if the noodles would be "paintable." I'll check around to see if there are any neutral colors. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I have the exact same problem, but have not found a solution.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
wouldn't padding mean it'll rub the mirror for sure now? if so, padding won't last long.

if the garage trim can be retrimmed, that maybe an option. otherwise, either park outside or put some sort of rubber stick on bumper on the mirror housing?