Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage Floor Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
nacelle is infamous around these parts
Garage Floor Project

Hey,

I am going to undertake a garage floor project this fall. The pics here of garages are inspirational, to say the very least! You guys have obviously done a lot of homework!

Could someone lead me to some threads about tiles vs rubber like products I see in the pics throughout this forum. I live in a cold climate as well, car will be off the road for over five months... but will share garage space with the daily driver so moisture will be a factor (lots of ins and outs), salt from Canadian roads will also be in abundance in the adjoinig stall.

Thanks...

Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 PM
skelzy is infamous around these parts
Epoxy is the way to go if time and money are no object.....If you decide on tiles I highly recommend RaceDeck Tiles with Tuffshield.....Good luck....

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I am in the same situation as you are with the moisture. I have a 8' electric baseboard heater, as well as insulated the walls and ceiling. I just added a few 400 cfm bathroom fans that are controlled by a thermometer (hot days in the summer) and a humidistat. The system works very well, and seems to keep the moisture levels down.

I have done a few other things to my garage, including the floor (used epoxy - tiles make too much noise). I have also added a few (pre made) pieces of storage cabinets.

Good luck with your project.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Ed, any pics of your garage? I need to work on my garage very soon.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:23 AM
project ready to go

I have decided to go with Porcelain tiles on the floor which will go down in a few weeks from now. First thing getting done is to repaint the walls, I will be moving the vac to the basement to free up the wall space. I am still trying to figure out what to do about cabinets....

Attached Images     
Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
i live in metro nyc area and after 3 yrs i just ripped out all the racedeck flooring from all 3 bays. There were small puddles of water underneath, mostly from power washing. My garage is used every day and racedeck isnt worth it. always looks filthy. For a spare garage to store toys, prob fine, but not for everyday. Back to square 1.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
JoeyM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RickyN F355
i live in metro nyc area and after 3 yrs i just ripped out all the racedeck flooring from all 3 bays. There were small puddles of water underneath, mostly from power washing. My garage is used every day and racedeck isnt worth it. always looks filthy. For a spare garage to store toys, prob fine, but not for everyday. Back to square 1.
good to know!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I have had the garage painted, added some posters and pics on the walls. The floor will go down next spring when I am satisfied with my research. Cabinets to follow not long after...

Attached Images    

Last edited by nacelle; 09-10-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Maison is infamous around these parts
Very nice... Love the cleanliness and openess of your garage. Look forward to seeing completion next Spring. Good Luck!!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey 6speeders...

It's been a very long winter in Ontario and we are all ready for spring. After toying with the idea of once again doing my garage floor with epoxy, I have decided to do what I had already decided to do... LOL....do ceramic tiles.

The tiles will likely go down in the next five to six weeks once it warms up a bit and I will post pics during the process which should be valuable for anyone else considering ceramic tiles as an alternative garage floor covering.

The chandeliers will go up as the final touch!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I've finally started on the garage floor. After a lot of looking about I did decide to stick with porcelain tiles for the floor. Durability with ease of cleanup were really the deciding factor for me.

I went for 12x12 sizing, the dark areas on the floor were a material used to fill the joints and the odd crack here and there. There was a low area in one section that you can see which needed to be built up to redirect the angle for water flow during cleanup.

Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
GrantM951 is infamous around these parts
That will look great when its finished.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Tiles are now complete with grout to go in next. Behind the plywood are the steps which will also be tiled.

Attached Images    
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Porcelain tiles finished!

The tiles are all down and I really like the finished look!

Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
bgwilly31 is infamous around these parts
Looks fantastic.

How much were the tiles per tile>?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Project