Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Sealing a garage floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Sealing a garage floor

I've got about 400 ftsq of garage floor to seal and curious what the best products and steps for the procedure are. I've heard throw acid down and etch and and I've hear it's a wasted step.

Thoughts and product suggestion for the job?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
RacerLex is infamous around these parts
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MCM97
I've got about 400 ftsq of garage floor to seal and curious what the best products and steps for the procedure are. I've heard throw acid down and etch and and I've hear it's a wasted step.

Thoughts and product suggestion for the job?

it's not technically throwing acid down. a muratic acid does etch the concrete a little but you dilute the acid 4 parts water and 1 part acid and it really will just really clean the floor well. Once done let the concrete dry completely and find a local concrete supply company. Buy a 25%-30% acrylic sealer of some kind. Don't waste your time with Thompsons Water seal or the crap sold at the Home Depot's of the world. It will shine your floor like new but will also be a bit more slippery. there are also additives for this sealer "Shark Grit" is one type you can add to help with this.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
Just asked my concrete supplier and he said they are all a waste of money, he said the best product for sealing is thompsons! This is a multi million dollar a year concrete co so take it for what its worth

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mountainC4
Just asked my concrete supplier and he said they are all a waste of money, he said the best product for sealing is thompsons! This is a multi million dollar a year concrete co so take it for what its worth

multi million dollar co means nothing. 100's of millions the same. he's full of sh$t. thompsons is water in a bucket you can buy a great sealer 20 times thompsons for the same amount of money just find a 25% acrylic of some kind and it will seal and shine your driveway. go to a supply house not a cement company. someone selling concrete products not with mixers.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
multi million dollar co means nothing. 100's of millions the same. he's full of sh$t. thompsons is water in a bucket you can buy a great sealer 20 times thompsons for the same amount of money just find a 25% acrylic of some kind and it will seal and shine your driveway. go to a supply house not a cement company. someone selling concrete products not with mixers.

Dude Chill!! I have know idea what you do for a living or know about. What I do know is what I know and do, and what my source does.
This guy poured the glenwood canyon
http://www.nationalslag.org/archive/...ng_on_i-70.pdf
Super harsh environment for concrete. We have built entire concrete homes (see oct issue of arch digest, we have one featured)

Thompsons penetrates the concrete, and acrylic sits on top. you tell me what would be more durable and work better. If you like shiney and slippery (we have snow and ice) use acrylic.
What ever you like is great, but dont call me full of sh?#T

Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 AM
SecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to behold
mark mine is holding up pretty well, but the hot tire mark is starting to annoy me, but i guess thats what you get for going with white floors

Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
996jax is infamous around these parts
I went to sherwin williams yesterday. They have a product called sheild-crete which comes in a kit for $69.95 It is a two part epoxy with the deco flakes and the non-slip grit. Has anyone used this product and how does it hold up. I only want to have to do this project one time.