Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Has anyone stained their garage floor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
JohnnyQ is infamous around these parts
Has anyone stained their garage floor?

Seems like it would be a slam dunk. Easy to clean, durable, handles moisture well, and inexpensive compared to tiles, racedeck. It has been mentioned on the forum in passing but never any comments made on it. I would like to do it in the spring, but need alot more info.

Thanks in advance,
John

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Thought about it myself this year!
My painter friend says he would do it for the cost of materials.
One thing you need to do is PREP it properly.I hear acid etching works but sanding it down with a few grits of paper works better.That is where I have a problem,that would be a whole lotta dust.
However,it looks amazing when done especially with the clear on top,looks like marble.
I will be watching this thread for any info.

Stacy

Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
ok guys be very careful here! staining is very difficult to control colors and finish! You get one shot and if you dont like your kind of screwed. It is not the most durable product either. Clear coat scratches super easy and can bubble, heat can take it off as well. The stain will wear as well, take a look at heavy use resturant floors and you can see wear patterns.
In other words I do not see this as a great finish for a garage floor. I would suggest one of the rubber chip (marble look) options.
when done by a proffesional cost are about the same and some will cover for life of the product.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM
SecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to beholdSecretAznSauce is a splendid one to behold
here are my garages. stained in white. its holding up ok, but the hot tires leave a mark. that also maybe I went with white. never the less. its easy to clean. I thinking about doing some stripes where the tires sit in a color that matches the tire marks.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Gasser is infamous around these parts
Its been 4 years since I stained mine. Its dark so had held up great. I need to clean it all out and re polish but tires don't leave a mark on mine.

Here is the best pic I can find. You can see the 12 inch tiles we sawed into the floor. We grouted with black grout and sealed it. Ignore my race car, it looks much better now!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
JohnnyQ is infamous around these parts
Thanks all,

I figured that it I screw up the staining, I could just throw racedeck over it like was originally planned. So I am not too worried about how permanant it is. Although, if it comes out like gassers, then I would want it to last.

Gasser, where do you purchase the stain and what color is it. It looks great by the way. Just what I was looking for.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Gasser is infamous around these parts
Well, my painter did it all including sawing the floor up into tiles. We got it from a store in OKC called the stamp store. Its an acid stain. Keep in mind, every batch of concrete stains a little differently so doing some test patches in an area would be helpfull. Once the acid stain drys it looks dull. Just get it wet to see the color onced sealed. I have a washer and dryer in the garage so we did three test patches there to make sure we liked the color. go visit your local equivilent and they will hook you up I am sure. Wish I was more help. Also if you saw your floor into tiles, use a dark grout to hide dirt. We used black and still looks great after 4 years.

I also agree, if you don't like it down the road then you can put something over it later. I like the race deck stuff as well but its lots of $$$$$.

Jeff