Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Gladiator...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Gladiator...

Just went into Lowe's yesterday and saw the whole line on sale for 20% OFF...

That's the best deal I've seen so far....I'm thinking of doing my whole garage now...any input on performance and this price?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
20% off is nice. 2 things I would recommend:

- put all floor cabinets on at least 3" caster wheels. not only will it help extend the life of the cabinets by keeping it dry and off the concrete floor, but also makes cleaning up a snap. You can quickly roll it out of the way when washing or just sweeping the floor.

- you can buy all the hooks and accessories there but I'd recommend just buying std 3" o.c. slatwall from a local building supply store. The majority of them will have it in laminate finishes and in paint grade. Paint grade is ~ $25-$40 per 4'x8' sheet, LPL ~ $40-70 depending on finish and qty. Inside delivery is only a few $ too. This way you can cover the whole wall and move things around as need be. I did mine in white LPL and painted the rest of the walls to match. You'll be thrilled w/ how great it is to get everything up off the floor and how much can really fit on the wall when you pack it in (much more so than on just 12" tracks). Yes I know the Gladiator stuff is extruded vinyl, but I've worked w/ std slatwall for years and unless you completely soak and I mean soak (like out in rain for 2 days) and then put a lot of pressure on it, it holds up extremely well. Mine's been up for 8 years now and still looks brand new. Even @ 20% off, their walls are about $200 per 4'x8' sheet . The slatwall is easier to cut and make work too around corners/trim/etc. You can get a lot further w/ just std slatwall...

Good luck

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
jmrdmd is infamous around these parts
Hi Burg,

I the melamine slat wall strong enough to hold the Gladiator cabinets?

Thanks,

Jan

Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
not sure of the specs for each series of gladiator cabinets & of course it depends on what you put in them and how long of a support finger they use but in a nutshell you should no problems at all.

Slatwall when installed properly (on top of drywall w/ 2.5-3" screws into studs - minimum 24 per 4'x8' sheet) is extremely strong. As is, w/o metal inserts, it's capable of supporting 20lbs per mount point (1"). The hangers on the Gladiator units should be a long support on the top and bottom of the cabinet which will hook over the groove and disperse the weight evenly.

With metal inserts it increases to some outrageous # - enough for a person to sit on a shelf inserted in the slatwall.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks Burg!!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
You're welcome. Incidentally, I usually 'test' my installation by grabbing a groove and momentarily hang by my finger tips from it. Needless to say, I've never been mistaken for a horse racing jockey either

Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM
That's funny! I'm 6'5" and 275...I'd be more afraid of my fingertips coming off than the wall coming down!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.