Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Project Garage Condo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Methodx55 is infamous around these parts
This is an absolute DREAM, incredible, it had to cost a pretty penny. Anything i ever live in from here on out will never be good enough

One question- Where do you sleep? i dont see a bed

Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fastforwardwheels
how do you have sooo much money~!!!!!! this is the 1st i seen this thread.... its soo impressive.. im speechless...
Thanks.. Money is all gone

Originally Posted by 645E3A
Thanks very Much Chris! Your help is invaluable. I'm using the same troffers too, though nowhere nearly as many!
Kindest Thanks,
Harry
Happy to help Harry.. Post up some pics when you get your project done.

Originally Posted by Methodx55
This is an absolute DREAM, incredible, it had to cost a pretty penny. Anything i ever live in from here on out will never be good enough..One question- Where do you sleep? i dont see a bed
Thanks.

No bed. The couch is an air/coil pull out. The city where this is located prohibits sleeping in this 'commercial' space, but guys are known to fall asleep after a few drinks from time to time.

I've taken plenty of naps on the couch too.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Finally got some better pics of the inside railing, thanks to my friend Alex:

Name:  88616cf7.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  2.76 MB

Name:  8dd48bd3.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  2.10 MB

Name:  3a8d13fa.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  2.47 MB

Name:  Motorplex-GS2.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  Motorplex-GS4.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  Motorplex-GS3.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  CD.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  rawAZB_2457.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  188.2 KB

Last edited by HIRISC; 09-14-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added a couple images to the 'final' product.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
This is an absolutely fantastic garage and concept. If I understand correctly this is a garage condo complex??? I am interested to know your opinion on this and it's viability? I live in downtown Indianapolis in a loft so we don't have traditional 2 or 3 car garages. This might be a good business opporotunity I might want to explore if there were enough like minded car guys who need a place to keep there toys in this urban environment??? How have the units sold? Are others fixing theirs up like yours? Are you in an urban environment. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Amazing setup! Looks awesome!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by vpmick
This is an absolutely fantastic garage and concept. If I understand correctly this is a garage condo complex??? I am interested to know your opinion on this and it's viability? I live in downtown Indianapolis in a loft so we don't have traditional 2 or 3 car garages. This might be a good business opporotunity I might want to explore if there were enough like minded car guys who need a place to keep there toys in this urban environment??? How have the units sold? Are others fixing theirs up like yours? Are you in an urban environment. Any advice or input is appreciated.
Yes, our place a Garage condo unit located at Automotorplex in Chanhassen, MN. www.automotorplex.com

Short answer is they are very viable in the right market - even, it seems, in a tough economy. Of seven complete buildings, I think we're at about 85% occupied. The 8th building is going up now and is 2/3'rds sold.

Motorplex was built as a club experience with a clubhouse, Hardie Board exteriors, Pella windows, tin roofs, in-floor drains, copper gutters, robust camera security system, 100 amp electrical run to each unit w/ basic electrical up/down inside, in-unit boiler/heat, wet fire suppression below the ceiling, dry fire suppression above it, wired for Sat. or cable TV, no phone service, 16’-18’ ceiling height, 14’ or 16’ overhead doors, and T5 lighting.

There are 'storage' places everywhere. To be interesting, one must offer a unique (and somewhat upscale) environment.

Motorplex is built is surrounded by the relatively affluent suburban cities of Chanhassen, Excelsior, and Eden Prairie. Units range in size: 13x24, 24x30 size, but most run 40x30, 40x40 (corners) or 40x80 (ends). There are a few guys that have multiple units adjacent to one another - older guys mostly with big toy collections. That's not the norm. I’d guess that the average owner is 45-50 years old or so. Their professions run all over the board.

Most folks build out their unit to some extent. Some more than ours, some less. Ours is mostly workshop/storage with an upstairs to hang out in if you're not into the car thing happening downstairs. Some guys go much further than we have.

The other thing I’ve also mentioned before is that it takes a very energetic, astute, connected (at least with car people) salesperson to draw in clientele – as well as market and organize the ‘club’ as a motorsports destination. Motorplex has that.

IMO, forum chatter like 6speed and garagejournal.com, and perhaps more significantly, local car events such as Cars & Cafe, account for a significant part of their sales funnel.

It has to be a destination - and one supported by the local car clubs/events - to reach enough momentum to be viable. Motorplex has the support of the more influential car guys in Minneapolis.

All IMO.

PM me if I can be more specific.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I really appreciate your thoughts and response. If I ever decide to pursue this I might drop you a note. Good luck with your place.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
No sweat VP, LMK if I can help.

Take it easy.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
IUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to behold
HIRHISC - I believe althought you can have a bathroom, kitchen, etc. you cannot actually live there. Is this accurate? Just curious because I am not sure if vpmick knows this.

vpmick - I am from Indianapolis as well, and have thought about a similar concept here. Personally, I do not think there would be enough demand for in our area. That said, if you do pursue please shoot me a PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 AM
No I understand these are not for living in...although that would be a nice selling point for condo/loft project. IUkid, do you live "downtown" or live in one of the burbs. Maybe the way to go is a much smaller project ( 10 to 20 units ) that are pre-sold before construction starts to minimize risk. Unfortunately land in the country is so cheap guys can put up a pole barn or garage pretty cheap on their property. Still curious on how many live in the urban parts and don't have place to store/show their toys?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by IUkid
HIRHISC - I believe althought you can have a bathroom, kitchen, etc. you cannot actually live there. Is this accurate? Just curious because I am not sure if vpmick knows this....
UR correct.. This is zoned commercial, so no 'living' there.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
kirk89 is infamous around these parts
Checking in from Canberra, Australia.

Just read the full 25 pages, wow. You've got an amazing setup! Congrats, and thanks for such a great thread.

Quick question - Your cobra comes as a 'kit' does it? IE all suspension parts, interior etc? Or is it a basic chassis & body which you develop yourself?

Thanks & congrats again on such a sweet 'man-cave'!!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 AM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Any updates on the FFR Cobra?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by coastalb55
Any updates on the FFR Cobra?
Hi. Yes, thanks for asking.

Been chipping away at it again slowly since Nov. 1. I've spent more time ordering and waiting for upgraded parts than I have building, but I'm sensing a rush coming in the next 5 weeks as I get ready for the engine/trans to arrive.

Here's the progress highlights, followed by some pics:

Done
All aluminum drilled & fit
Front/rear suspension done
Brakes/brake lines installed. Waiting on billet brake line clamps
Pedals, master cylinders in. Waiting for an upgraded set of forged pedals
Fuel tank in. Waiting on fuel pump to fit fuel feed/return line
Wheels/Tires installed - then removed for space
Rear battery box installed
Engine block in - being machined/assembled (by experts, not me)
CNC triple master cylinder/hydraulic clutch reservoirs in
Steering rack in. Steering column fit, then removed for space.
Hydraulic/Electric power steering pump install tomorrow (if I can find some plate aluminum locally)

To Do:
Fit Dash
Install Gauges
Wire
Rivet most c0ckpit-forward aluminum
Install Engine
Bleed brakes
Rough alignment

Name:  9d95c586.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  b808f176-sm.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  221.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3093.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  1.78 MB

Name:  IMG_3061.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  IMG_3133.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  IMG_3145.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  c526cab3.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  1.68 MB

Name:  5540c2b4.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  1.79 MB

Name:  080b0dd7.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  214.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3413.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  1.57 MB

Name:  a78d3288.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  36f84c45.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  IMG_3427.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  1.88 MB

Last edited by HIRISC; 01-10-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by kirk89
Checking in from Canberra, Australia.

Just read the full 25 pages, wow. You've got an amazing setup! Congrats, and thanks for such a great thread.

Quick question - Your cobra comes as a 'kit' does it? IE all suspension parts, interior etc? Or is it a basic chassis & body which you develop yourself?

Thanks & congrats again on such a sweet 'man-cave'!!
Thanks much.

Yes, the Factory Five roadster comes as a complete kit. Welded and powdercoated chassis, all basic components included except for engine, transmission (clutch/bellhousing), differential, wheels, tires and body/paint.

That being said, I've upgraded a bunch of stuff on my kit, including steering rack, dash, gauges, pedal assembly, brake and fuel line fittings/hoses, etc......

One would be wise (and wealthier) to use the just the kit components, but the main Forum for Factory Five builds (ffcars.com) helps you see different/better ways to do things that are always more expensive

The best way to think about these kits is like a big model that requires some light fabrication/massaging of pieces to fit together properly.

It's been a blast thus far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Garage Condo