Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Design question - getting the most within a set of boundaries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
TWI
TWI has a spectacular aura aboutTWI has a spectacular aura about
Design question - getting the most within a set of boundaries

I need some "what I did that worked, and what I did that did not work" advice.

Constraints:

Without a variance, I can build approximately 1,100 sf of garage space. I can go as far as 36' wide, as far as 46' deep. With a variance (which I would rather not pursue) I could take the depth up to 55' deep but for practical reasons I can probably not go any wider than 36'.

Goals:

Parking for 2 daily drivers
2 Post asymmetrical lift for auto service
4 Post lift for auto service/storage
Parking for 6 motorcycles
One lift for motorcycle service
Lofted storage area above

Question:

Does anyone have a strong preference for going 2 wide and 4 deep (appx 24x46) as opposed to going 3 wide and 1.5 deep (appx 36x30)?
Does anyone have a set of plans that they can share electronically for some modeling?

Tal
tal.isbell@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Your garage limitations are about what we faced. Max 1080 square feet.

What we built is basically below.. We store 4 cars on the ground, 2 bikes, 2 full workbenches and a 36' run of 2' wide shelving down the right side. I have a full size (10' width) 4 post and a scissor lift.

I edited in 6 bikes wide for your needs. We have two bikes, another workbench, and a full size fridge where I've put 'your' 6 bikes. Bikes don't take up as much room - width - as I've alloted, but you get the idea.

Don't know where your door goes, but there is plenty of room to do what you want.

Strongly advise you to put in 'wide' garage doors - 18' min for the double and a 12' for the single. Lot's of guys don't think about trailers and such on the 'single' side. I can fit any trailer on that side with ease.

It's crude, but you get the idea

Last edited by HIRISC; 10-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:14 AM
TWI
Thanks. That is exactly the kind of feedback/suggestion I was looking for. I did not think about a mixture of 2 deep for one bay with 1/1.5 deep for the other two.

What software program did you use for that layout? I'd like to play around with placement and sizing of some of the elements.

Tal
tal.isbell@gmail.com

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tal Isbell
Thanks. That is exactly the kind of feedback/suggestion I was looking for. I did not think about a mixture of 2 deep for one bay with 1/1.5 deep for the other two.

What software program did you use for that layout? I'd like to play around with placement and sizing of some of the elements.

Tal
tal.isbell@gmail.com
Microsoft Visio.

If you don't have it, free trial: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...487861033.aspx

LMK if I can offer any assistance.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
TWI
Thanks. I'll put Visio on this computer and play around with the layout. I only think about Visio for making process flow charts and that sounds like work so I did not bother to install it on the new computer. Never thought about using it for something so fun as garage layout design.