Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage remodel - the redo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Garage remodel - the redo

Previous remodel lasted 3 years - dry wall installer did not put up correct joists for ceiling. No access to attic. Electrical lighting not in code. Previous cabinets flimsy. Complete waste of money.

Objectives:

1. Complete insulation for Wisconsin winter. R19 garage door. Vapor barrier and insulated walls. Closed cell foam insulated ceiling.

2. Wired NEMA 6-30R receptacle for hidden garage heater.

3. Durable garage flooring to handle salt and snow - epoxy repeatedly peals after several years.

4. Cabinet space. True 2 car garage had no space on the left or right once the vehicle is parked.

5. Attic access.

6. Double pane casement windows - previous windows were single pane with acrylic storm window.

Attached Images   

Last edited by bbywu; 11-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If asked my contractor to created recessed fluorescent lighting in addition to standard cans. The recessed lights give the appearance of a much higher ceiling, despite a standard 8 foot height. Recessed lights are not bright enough to work on my vehicles...I think this solution was quite good.

Attached Images   

Last edited by bbywu; 11-17-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I wanted higher end cabinets. I selected Redline Garage Gear over Moduline - they are powder coated MDF cabinets that hang off the floor. The quality is excellent, and I am supporting local businesses that are franchised to build the cabinets. Side entry door is now dead bolt locked with an electric passcode entry. Rain glass window provides significant light and maintains good insulation.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 11-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Garage floor - skipped epoxy and had a concrete overlay placed to simulate bluestone.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Butcher block counter top.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Parts bin.

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
WOW....awesome attention to details and achieving objectives,A++++

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Thank you. I was really disappointed with the previous renovation - in Wisconsin, the temps fluctuate from -20 to 105 on a yearly basis - the humidity ranges from 30-100% regularly. The drywall that had been used on my ceiling had actually started sagging because there were no joists that the sheets were bolted to. The lights were rigged and tapped into existing wiring - nothing was in code. Furthermore, the garage door, electric sockets, lights were all wired to the same circuit breaker - 15 amps tops. Just opening the garage door and lights meant anything else would trip the circuit.

Now, I have a sub panel powering heat, electric sockets, lights all separately.

I also like using Redline Garage for my cabinets - the franchise that powder coats and builds the cabinets is local in my area - I feel like I'm supporting someone in the community with the contractor, subcontractors, etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Here was the original garage - before my previous renovation.

Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Original home was built in the 1950s. No fire rated drywall or entry door. Attic access not fire rated or sealed - allowed CO gas to enter attic space in the house. Again, no real joists to support a ceiling.

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Very impressive. I just moved from wi to fl and gave up the sweetest garage for a tiny 2 car. House is new but they don't allow large garages. If it were as deep as your the cab it's would be a must. It hard to believe it looked like that before.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Man_Car is infamous around these parts
The before and after pics are amazing. Very clean outcome. I love the contrast between the light colors and the bright red P.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
WOW WOW WOW... awesome work Bob!!!

Really love the attention to detail. The flooring is so beautiful, great idea!!

Enjoy it to the fullest

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the comments!

I'm enjoying the completely insulated garage as we speak. Garage door, double pane casement windows, insulated walls ceiling, etc.

It's been in the 20s this week, and we should see teens this evening. So far, even by the garage door, the garage maintains a temp of 50 or greater with no heat.

With my 30A access, my garage heater warms up to 75-80 in about 15-20 minutes no problem. I debated putting in a natural gas line, I decided that this wouldn't suit my purposes. It's a working every day garage, not a show garage, and the garage door opens and closes several times a day. I just need to heat it when I need to.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Nice upgrade.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage remodel - the redo