Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Question about race deck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Damage is infamous around these parts
Question about race deck

Pardon my newbie questions:

I was just starting to do research on it and I found out from searching around that there seems to be different brands available that aren't "Race Deck". For example:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...TPC&lpage=none

How easy is this to install? I always thought this stuff was secured with some kind of adhesive but it clips together? What prevents the pieces from sliding around? Would you guys recommend doing the whole floor with it or just parts of it? I was originally planning to clean and seal my garage floor. Would it be overkill to do that and then add this race deck stuff on top of it?

How long do you guys think it'll take 1 person to do an average sized 3 car garage?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
cant help with ur questions....but i love the portfolio...good luck

Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
CTRacer is infamous around these parts
There's really no need to seal your floor too. The tiles all lock together forming one big piece so they won't slide around. I plan on installing Racedeck in my 30x20 3 car this spring and it'll probably take a few hours with a helper. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
I've only been in one Racedeck garage and it felt a little like I'd imagine a Lego floor to be. I know it's good stuff and hear it's the best but I thought it was a bit odd to walk on. I think I've read about people using underlay of some sort, I've also read that the Lowes / Home Depot equivalent stuff is as good for a fraction of the price.

I have cheap epoxy for now \

Chris.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CTRacer
There's really no need to seal your floor too. The tiles all lock together forming one big piece so they won't slide around. I plan on installing Racedeck in my 30x20 3 car this spring and it'll probably take a few hours with a helper. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done.
a few hours for a three car garage?? good luck with that

i did my 2 car garage this summer. consider it a weekend project.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Damage is infamous around these parts
I saw in one thread someone lined the bottom with padding before putting the tiles on the floor. I'm just curious how spills are handled. Wouldn't they just go right in between the gaps?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
I didn't like the "legoness" of Racedeck so after searching around I settled on Resilia tiles http://www.floorsurfaces.com/why.htm My wife and I installed them (3 car garage) over a long weekend. They've worked out great. Spills cleanup easily and don't get underneath. Nice and quiet to walk on....no clickityclack.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Damage
I saw in one thread someone lined the bottom with padding before putting the tiles on the floor. I'm just curious how spills are handled. Wouldn't they just go right in between the gaps?
That was my issue as well. They use pergo padding underneath. Seems to me like it would be a sponge for moisture and other liquids. The tiles are vented underneath so they will remain dry on the bottom if you mop them down.

Personally, the clickety clak as some people call it doesn't bother me. It's not really that noisy, but you know you're walking on plastic for sure.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:30 AM
The Doc's garage looks really nice.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM
ultgar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dr. T
I didn't like the "legoness" of Racedeck so after searching around I settled on Resilia tiles http://www.floorsurfaces.com/why.htm My wife and I installed them (3 car garage) over a long weekend. They've worked out great. Spills cleanup easily and don't get underneath. Nice and quiet to walk on....no clickityclack.

Doc....nice cabinets (and garage). Griot should have sent you the upper 1350 shelf cabinets with the LB ("lock-bottom) option on the doors. No extra cost to you. The lock/latch on the upper cabinets would be mounted at the bottom of the doors for easier access.

I also agree with you on the noise issue with the Racedeck tiles and the carpet padding solution they recommended to me was not appropriate for my applications. SD

Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
The Doc's garage looks really nice.
Nice? It's nicer than my living room! *lol*

Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 AM
"noise issue" is a bit much. it's not that loud. you can tell you're walking on plastic, but it's not like it's abnoxious. the only downside to the rubber tiles is that they can tear and scrape. i found the plastic tiles to be more durable.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM
ultgar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
"noise issue" is a bit much. it's not that loud. you can tell you're walking on plastic, but it's not like it's abnoxious. the only downside to the rubber tiles is that they can tear and scrape. i found the plastic tiles to be more durable.
Ok, not noisy but a cheap feel under foot. Racedeck said to use a carpet liner to dampen out this sound. I ended up using a ceramic tile in the clean work area and epoxy in the workshop. My wife's garage got the RaceDeck...she liked the colors.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ultgar
Doc....nice cabinets (and garage). Griot should have sent you the upper 1350 shelf cabinets with the LB ("lock-bottom) option on the doors. No extra cost to you. The lock/latch on the upper cabinets would be mounted at the bottom of the doors for easier access.
Wish I had known.....the wife can't reach the locks . Your garage is unreal. I love it!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:21 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
mr utlgar...would love to see more photos for ideas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about race deck