Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Difference between cheap and expensive lifts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by henryr
ever break a cheapy wrench made in china?? all steel is not the same. it is one of the factors, not the sole.
I have heard of wrenches breaking but I have never broken one. My understanding is the "Chinese" lifts only have motors from China. The posts are all the same. I'm assuming it's kind of expensive to ship a 400-500lb from China? It must be more cost effective for a motor though (probably more labor to make a motor than a post).

Also, the difference in steel you see in a cheaply made wrench is not because of the quality of the steel but the grade of the steel.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
brownbagg is infamous around these parts
The one I ordered was 220 v, they had a 110v too, All I did was hook a 10 foot cord to the pump, and a 30 amp recapticle, and I plug it into my welding plug outlet.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by brownbagg
The one I ordered was 220 v, they had a 110v too, All I did was hook a 10 foot cord to the pump, and a 30 amp recapticle, and I plug it into my welding plug outlet.
Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the information. My next problem if I DIY is how to get it off the truck and into the garage. No forktruck at the house (no engine hoist either).

Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
you could easily make a hoist if you can weld. All you would need would be a handcrank and some square tubing. A chain hoist would probably work better.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by crazy1323
you could easily make a hoist if you can weld. All you would need would be a handcrank and some square tubing. A chain hoist would probably work better.
No welder!

I think I can rent an engine hoist though.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 AM
zz06lm is infamous around these parts
TTony

I've been reading some of the replies you have gotten on the lift situation.Well if it means anything I was in the same situation about 2 months ago. I spent countless hours on the computer reading and looking at a 4 post lift from everyone, I mean everyone. I decided on $ 2,200 ( Canadian )cheapo lift, mainly becuase the sale guy on the phone sold it as , they are all the same , don't waste your money blaw blaw blaw. I went to a show where all the lift boys showed up. Also , I brought a couple buddies to maybe see something that I missed.----WELL--- , let me tell ya , unless your blind, there is a massive difference between the cheap lift and a good one. I stood side by side and compared, locking mechs, steal thickness, clamps,wires, warranty. For something that is going to hold 4-5 tons , hopfully own for a very long time , o ya , kinda important in my mind, kids walking underneath it , ---- don't cheap out----there is a difference. Don't concentrate on the motors, they only lift the cars , most are made in Italy not China. The actual metal is welded in China on the cheaper ones.Metal thickness and locking mechs.This is the important stuff.

Hope this helps

Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
brownbagg is infamous around these parts
get it ship to the freight terminal. get a trailer or uhaul trailer and go get it. They will load it on your trailer. once you get to the house, break the freight apart and unload it by pieces. My heavest part was about 200 lbs. I did mine all by myself without help. Its really easy. They say it heavy because everything comes in one box. Its not bad.