Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Difference between cheap and expensive lifts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 AM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Difference between cheap and expensive lifts?

I'm looking at getting this lift:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Titan...03030114QQrdZ1

Or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANTHER-LIFTS-NE...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm on a tight budget and need to cover installation also. Is there anything "wrong" with these lifts? It would not be getting daily use, probably once every 2-3 months or so.

Thoughts? Has anyone had negative experiences with a low cost lift?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
henryr is infamous around these partshenryr is infamous around these parts
as far as i know, the quality of the steel. i would not by a cheap lift. not woth the price differential to me.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
AUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these parts
The difference? Being alive and being dead!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by henryr
as far as i know, the quality of the steel. i would not by a cheap lift. not woth the price differential to me.
Are you serious? Unless the lift is made from stainless steel, the quality of the steel isn't going to make a difference. What does low quality steel do anyway?

My understanding on the price difference of lifts is that the motors are sourced in China on some of the cheaper ones. Of all the posts I have read, I have never seen a post that says their lift broke because it was a cheap one. I certainly have not seen a lift "break" because of low quality steel.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by AUDIHenry
The difference? Being alive and being dead!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
low quality steel may bend or break. i would advise purchasing from a manufacturer that belongs to the american lift institute {ali certified lifts)
carlos

Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Depends on what you are going to put under the lift. Being yourself or your other car. Used to be a saying in the motorcycle world "A ten dollar helmet for a $10 head". This seems to fall in the same category. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by D-UberCars
Depends on what you are going to put under the lift. Being yourself or your other car. Used to be a saying in the motorcycle world "A ten dollar helmet for a $10 head". This seems to fall in the same category. Just my 2 cents.
LOL

You guys are great, I do not think a lift is quite the same as a motorcycle helmet. I am not worried about any lift "breaking or bending" because of bad steel, that's pretty far fetched. I'm more worried about a motor going out or something like that. Not to mention that they all have structural safeties to prevent a car from falling even if pressure is lost.

The ALI info was pretty good, I took a look at their website. Thanks for the info Carlos, I think I will focus on that and the warranty offered when making my decision.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
farrbar is infamous around these parts
I don't think that you have to worry about the steel bending. Common ratings are 7,000 and 9,000 lbs. So if you are talking about lifting any of your cars, you would be only at 50% of lift capacity.

I did a decent amount of research, and I could not find anything to convice me to spend the extra $$ for a Revolution. It seems like most of the Chinese lifts are the same. If you buy from a local vendor, try and go see if you can see the model before you buy it. I paid $2500 all-in (inlcuding tax, install delivery). Casters and jack tray were extra.

The lift holding in the Lambo in this thread looks like many of the lower cost lifts https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66720

-Farrbar
1999 996 C4
2004 Beck Spyder
2006 Mercedes E350
2002 Ford Thunderbird
1949 Packard Deluxe 8
2003 Dodge Ram

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
brownbagg is infamous around these parts
On some of the super cheap lifts, delievery is not included, so with this adding in, its close to mid range.

The mowarks and rotarys are some super fine lifts. I went throught this last year. I bought a bend -pak. Its great. and its just as good at the rotary. its like a toyota against a cadallic. both go down the road good, just caddy prettier.

Lifts are really not that complicated. 10,000 lbs for steel not much weight, biggest problem is pulling out of ground.

I would have no problem buying a china lift, none. Its like most people think you have to spend the most to have the best. I like Bend Pak. and that lift you was looking at. looks good too.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by farrbar
If you buy from a local vendor, try and go see if you can see the model before you buy it. I paid $2500 all-in (inlcuding tax, install delivery). Casters and jack tray were extra.
Wow, that's a good price and in the range I am looking at. Did you buy from a local vendor or online? Bendpak estimates $450 for installation of a 2 post and says that does not include extra electrical work.

Of course, I'll still have to paint the lift black...

Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 AM
farrbar is infamous around these parts
I got tons of quotes, and this seemed to be the best, and I had my choice of color (Black, Red, Yellow...).

As far as install, I got qoutes ranging from $350-800. Delivery is the most important part, my install took one guy just over 3 hours. I would guess for a 2 post, install is more difficult, and I assume it needs to be anchored. For a 4 post, it didn't look that hard. So, if you double that (i.e. 6 hours) for the person that has not done it before, you may want to try it yourself. The key is being able to lift the long pieces of steel that create each side ramp. The installer that did mine just used an engine hoist and some straps to lift the sides.

So basically, he laid out the 4 posts, hund the a cross member connecting the front posts to eachother, then another cross member connecting the back posts to eachother, and then wheeled the sides into place (i.e. the ramp like part that you will actually be parking on if you get a 4 post) - this is the only part that an average adult can't lift by themselve.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
henryr is infamous around these partshenryr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TTony
Are you serious? Unless the lift is made from stainless steel, the quality of the steel isn't going to make a difference. What does low quality steel do anyway?

My understanding on the price difference of lifts is that the motors are sourced in China on some of the cheaper ones. Of all the posts I have read, I have never seen a post that says their lift broke because it was a cheap one. I certainly have not seen a lift "break" because of low quality steel.
ever break a cheapy wrench made in china?? all steel is not the same. it is one of the factors, not the sole.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
brownbagg is infamous around these parts
the install on the bend pak is not that bad. it comes completely assemble just run the cable and anchor down, connect the hoses and hang the pump. if you took your time, by yourself with no mechanical talent, about three hours.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by brownbagg
the install on the bend pak is not that bad. it comes completely assemble just run the cable and anchor down, connect the hoses and hang the pump. if you took your time, by yourself with no mechanical talent, about three hours.
Any special electrical requirements or are they included with the lift ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference between cheap and expensive lifts?