Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Air Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
redjeeper is infamous around these parts
Air Tools

I just bought an air compressor for my garage and want to know what tools are the must haves for wrenching on my cars. What will get those old rusty bolts off with ease, this seems to be what I always run into.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Impact wrench, air ratchet, tire inflation thingy (technical term), impact hammer, etc... You can usually find a kit that has five or six different tools with a bunch of attachments. I like Ingersol-Rand, but I'm sure everyone has their preferences.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 PM
redjeeper is infamous around these parts
What is the best torque rating for the impact wrench for getting off stubborn bolts?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Talk to a sales rep. I know you can get impact wrenches up to at least 1,000 ft/lbs. One thing you will want to look for is whether your compressor can push enough air to run high power air tools.

Oh, and look at some torque sticks. Good stuff.

1,000 ft-lbs of nut busting torque!! I guess they think people need help busting their nuts.

Last edited by Gramicci101; 05-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
I have had excellent luck with my Snap-on 1/2 impact. For the air ratchet you can go with a craftsman as they have a great product and warranty.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
The air tools I use the most: 1/2" and 3/8" impact gun (1/2" for wheels, 3/8" for everything else). Obviously an air chuck, and also an air gun for blowing compressed air (great for cleaning). Cutoff wheel for cutting (odd I know), and a die grinder.

As far as brand: For a guy who isn't using them much, you can probably buy a lower quality brand. What I do know, is that my chinese die grinder lasted 8 years, I switched to an ingersol rand die grinder, which then broke within a week. The replacement broke within 2. I took the chinese die grinder apart, and swapped the parts over to the IR assembly (nicer handle, etc), and the parts were a direct swap. Now that thing has been going strong! My 1/2" impact is a knock off brand (you are only swapping wheels usually, and stubborn larger bolts...find something around 500ft/lbs if you can), but my 3/8" impact is a blue point, and one of my most used, and favorite tools in the box. The die grinder is now an IR/chinese mutation, and the cutoff wheel is a chinese knock off which I have had for 7-8 years.

Make sure you keep your tools oiled, and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, also make sure to drain your air compressor of water on a weekly basis. Water is a killer to air tools, and will collect in the bottom of your compressor over time, not only rotting out the tank, but allow water to get in your lines. There is usually a petcock at the bottom of the tank for doing so.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
ir ingersolrand is the shiz...

Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Yeah, what has been said above is basically what you need. Air ratchet, impact gun, cutoff wheel, etc....

I prefer Ingersoll Rand and Craftsman. I have an Ingersoll rand 1/2 impact gun (I believe it is an IR380N or something along those lines). It is about 20 years old and my father used it almost every day for his Marina. It is still going strong today, though I do make sure I oil it all the time. For the price and the amount of time this thing lasted, I would recommend getting decent quality and handing it down in the family!! :P

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Check ebay as well. You can find some good quality air tools for reasonable prices i.e. last year's model of Snap On impact guns.