Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage Floor Tiles or....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 AM
BADBRUNO is infamous around these parts
Garage Floor Tiles or....

I'm just moving into a new home 5 garages. I would like to have a coating Epoxy system 3/8" thick like the floor in our factory, put in but the price of $12,000 is out of control.. I'm thinking the next best surface is to have it cermanic floor tiled..

The rubber mat tiles look like their more troble than they're worth, water under them etc..

Can you share your experiences and advice thanks

Badbruno

Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Plastic tiles. IE race deck style or whatever brand you like. They're durable, reasonably priced, and easy to clean. Not to mention they look great. Epoxy is just a ton of money and the prep is intense. I went with the Sam's tiles. So far they've been great. They are also very easy to install. You could probably plastic tile your monster garage there in a weekend with a little help. With regards to moisture, the bottoms of the plastic tiles don't sit flat on the floor so that moisture can evaporate and you don't have mildew problems. For lack of a better explanation, they have hollowed out tracks underneath.

I don't think I would want ceramic tiles in my garage. I drop too much stuff. I'd be constantly cracking and chipping tiles.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
I'm told Home Depot are not stocking tile systems for garages, haven't seen them yet but they used to do them by special order and I've heard good things about them, might be worth checking out if you can see them up close in person without committing.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Guys for the response yea Monster garage The new 997 TT just arrived!

I'll take your advice

Cheers

Drive it Like you Stole It

Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM
icemann633 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Plastic tiles. IE race deck style or whatever brand you like. They're durable, reasonably priced, and easy to clean. Not to mention they look great. Epoxy is just a ton of money and the prep is intense. I went with the Sam's tiles. So far they've been great. They are also very easy to install. You could probably plastic tile your monster garage there in a weekend with a little help. With regards to moisture, the bottoms of the plastic tiles don't sit flat on the floor so that moisture can evaporate and you don't have mildew problems. For lack of a better explanation, they have hollowed out tracks underneath.

I don't think I would want ceramic tiles in my garage. I drop too much stuff. I'd be constantly cracking and chipping tiles.
Did you find the tiles locally or did you order them? Our new house should be done at the end of the month...

Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by icemann633
Did you find the tiles locally or did you order them? Our new house should be done at the end of the month...
You have to order them. You probably won't ever find the tiles in the stores. Mine were drop shipped from the manuf. For around $1 per square foot, they really are pretty good. I think I've had them for close to a year and they still look great.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Alex13188 is infamous around these parts
Go with ceramic tile, it is much more durable than you think. We have it in our garage and couldn't be happier. I have dropped numerous things without the slightest hint of a chip. Heres a link to what we have http://metroceramics.com/pages/quarrybasics.html

Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Leading edge problem

They look great

Have you had a problem with the Leading edge tile, where the car tire first climbs up to the garage floor, breaking.. Did you mount some Bull nose or strip of metal to protect that first row of tiles from breaking?

A friend has put tile in a couple of homes and brought this to my attention.. He has had to have this first row of tiles replaced many times..

My 997 TT just arrived

Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
My own concern w/ tile...is what if I'm wrenching away on my car in garage (on top of these tiles). Fluids get on the tile/grout. Would this be hard to clean? I would expect this to be the case. Any feedback about cleaning/removal of fluids from the tile/grout?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by domlee
My own concern w/ tile...is what if I'm wrenching away on my car in garage (on top of these tiles). Fluids get on the tile/grout. Would this be hard to clean? I would expect this to be the case. Any feedback about cleaning/removal of fluids from the tile/grout?
Yes, don't use tile in your garage

Old 06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Alex13188 is infamous around these parts
As far as entry into the garage we used bullnosed tiles and they have yet to crack.

As far as fluids go we seal the floor once a year and we haven't had a problem yet. These tiles really are durable they aren't as fragile as you would think.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
If pricing is not an issue than I would recommend ceramic tile. I like epoxy and have it in my own garage but ceramic is much more classy and will add some value to the house IMO and it is easy to maintain although I recommend it get machine scrubbed as needed to deep clean the tile face and grout lines once in awhile.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
chadhaas is infamous around these parts
You can use epoxy grout to prevent staining of tile grout. If you would like some more information, I can send you a PDF with information about epoxy grouts that we use and recommend.

You can't wrong with either tile or a coating.

Chad
customerservice@showroomgarage.com

Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95

I must give a big thank you to Andrew for his lead on the Sam's Club tiles. They are awesome. i did 900 sq feet in about 8 hours with lots of custom cutting. Price with shipping was around $1700.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by Greyghost
I must give a big thank you to Andrew for his lead on the Sam's Club tiles. They are awesome. i did 900 sq feet in about 8 hours with lots of custom cutting. Price with shipping was around $1700.
You're welcome. I'm glad they worked out for you. I've had them for some time now and they're still holding up great. It's a great resonably priced alternative to the racedeck for those looking to dress up the garage a bit.

As with racedeck, sam's, or any of these tiles, just watch out for motorcycle kick stands. They will dent your floor. I am using a piece of racedeck (it was a sample) as a "kickstand coaster" if you will. It is all dented up. Better than than my floor though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Tiles or....