Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Scored, Etched & Stained Concrete Floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM
neijia is infamous around these parts
Scored, Etched & Stained Concrete Floor

Has anybody done this, I'm sure some have... I did a quick search on this forum, didn't come up with any. My Neighbor does this for a living.

He showed me his daughters room that was finished recently... it is a room in the basement of the house. He pulled up all the carpet, padding, etc... Scored lines diagonally 2' X 2' in a nice pattern, etched the flooor, then stained it.

It looked amazing, really blew me away.

On the plus side, you can have it stained virtually any color you like; his was a deep red, almost looked like terra cotta colored marble. I told him I might like a sandstone color for the garage. We spoke about it a bit more, I explained to him I didn't like the idea of Racedeck, (plasticky tiles) for the simple fact, I have jack stands and i use them. We talked about the ceramic, porcelan, epoxy, etc... I think this might be my best bet. The durability is roughly the same a concrete. I like that.

I have to say I was just blown away at how impressive it looked; very professional and clean, not to mention the durability aspect. I like to work on the car, use the tools, etc.. I think at $5 a square foot I can't go wrong.

You can have it scored in any pattern or size; from instance parallel lines 1X1 to 3X3 feet diagonal; so you have a diamond pattern with rectangle edges, squares, etc...

What do you guys think, have you done this to your garage floor, or have a friend that does? I would very much like to see some pics of various degrees of this technique... really got me thinking

Thanks all, Happy 4th

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
chadhaas is infamous around these parts
Stained concrete looks fantastic, but there is a limitation you may want to consider: If it is polished it could be slippery with even the smallest amount of liquid.

Few polished concrete floors are installed in garages because of this. If you've ever walked on polished granite or marble floor when it is wet than you know just how slick this kind of surface can be.

Last edited by chadhaas; 07-07-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 AM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Spoke to the Rob at www.diaconcrete.com today. They have solved the slippery issue. Looks great. Located in NW and CA.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
have stained & etched concrete in our kitchen and family room attached to kitchen right now in our house in Dallas. first time i've ever had anything like this and it's actually pretty nice

Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
you can add little sand like buffers to make the floor slip resistant

Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM
993inNC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by neijia
Has anybody done this, I'm sure some have... I did a quick search on this forum, didn't come up with any. My Neighbor does this for a living.

He showed me his daughters room that was finished recently... it is a room in the basement of the house. He pulled up all the carpet, padding, etc... Scored lines diagonally 2' X 2' in a nice pattern, etched the flooor, then stained it.

It looked amazing, really blew me away.

On the plus side, you can have it stained virtually any color you like; his was a deep red, almost looked like terra cotta colored marble. I told him I might like a sandstone color for the garage. We spoke about it a bit more, I explained to him I didn't like the idea of Racedeck, (plasticky tiles) for the simple fact, I have jack stands and i use them. We talked about the ceramic, porcelan, epoxy, etc... I think this might be my best bet. The durability is roughly the same a concrete. I like that.

I have to say I was just blown away at how impressive it looked; very professional and clean, not to mention the durability aspect. I like to work on the car, use the tools, etc.. I think at $5 a square foot I can't go wrong.

You can have it scored in any pattern or size; from instance parallel lines 1X1 to 3X3 feet diagonal; so you have a diamond pattern with rectangle edges, squares, etc...

What do you guys think, have you done this to your garage floor, or have a friend that does? I would very much like to see some pics of various degrees of this technique... really got me thinking

Thanks all, Happy 4th
I'm about to do this on my garage (slick finished floor now) floor. I'm going to be doing a custom stripe design. The finisher says he has a grit that he places in the stain that will end up like a sandpaper finish so to do away with the slick (and danger of it). I'm looking at roughly $3 a foot with a 2 year warranty. Sounds like a great deal to me, and he has a computer system that shows how it looks before the work is done.

I should have it done in a couple of weeks, waiting for drywaller to finish, then paint, then the floor. So if you wait, I'll have pics of my "garagemahal" in a few weeks.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
William Wilson is infamous around these parts

Stained and scored concrete in a garage floor. Just dont get it wet

Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
As if anyone is even noticing the concrete in your pics!!! Nice cars and welcome to 6 speed!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM
William Wilson is infamous around these parts
Oh, that's not my garage or cars. Just the only stained concrete garage floor I know of.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 AM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
nice group of cars

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
H007H is infamous around these parts
Here is a company that does the best of this type of work.

Its probably the best stained concrete company in the United States as far as quality goes.

Great stuff. I have tons of it in my home. Here is the link to some photos on the Site:

http://www.sundek.com/photos/ Click on Sunstamp, it will show you some of the Stain and Stamped as well as scored concrete

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by H007H
Here is a company that does the best of this type of work.

Its probably the best stained concrete company in the United States as far as quality goes.

Great stuff. I have tons of it in my home. Here is the link to some photos on the Site:

http://www.sundek.com/photos/ Click on Sunstamp, it will show you some of the Stain and Stamped as well as scored concrete
sundek did 2 of my neighbors stained concrete patios. Just be aware they are a franchise so results in your area could be different.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
eMJay1133 is infamous around these partseMJay1133 is infamous around these parts
Wow that looks great. How much will that run for a 3car garage?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
thuff331 is infamous around these parts
Very nice. I even like the cracks in the concrete. I know a lot of people don't.
Trent

Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
htran16 is infamous around these parts
very nice. nice collection of cars also. good to see you dont leave any of them stock. the drop on the 360 looks awesome. how about a challenge grill to set off that car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scored, Etched & Stained Concrete Floor