Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage lift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 993inNC
I just installed a Direct Lift 2 post from Greg Smith Equip (no affiliation) in my garage and I love it! Well made, USA made hydraulics and pretty sturdy.......and its BLACK! (happens to fit my color scheme in the garage). They say its a 9'3" but its a bit taller as I had to nibble some drywall and a hint of truss out from one area to make one side work (other side is within a vaulted ceiling area.)
bad camera pic and the garage isn't done so no crap from anyone

nibble a truss!!? from the looks of that (not the best picture) that would be a girder truss, read structural bearing point, hope you did not take a lot out of it or you could get a suprise garage addition.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 AM
993inNC is infamous around these parts
no just an inch or so by 5 and on a glue lam bottom cord....I'm not worried at all. Its the last before the tray and has no storage weight on it.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I just installed a Direct Lift 2 post from Greg Smith Equip (no affiliation) in my garage and I love it! Well made, USA made hydraulics and pretty sturdy.......and its BLACK! (happens to fit my color scheme in the garage). They say its a 9'3" but its a bit taller as I had to nibble some drywall and a hint of truss out from one area to make one side work (other side is within a vaulted ceiling area.)
bad camera pic and the garage isn't done so no crap from anyone
Okay guys, I finally got my lift in! Same one as 993inNC.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
As you can see I have at LEAST 1/4" to spare above the posts.
I had to rework the garage door rails and get a wall-mounted
opener to make it work.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow, thats close! Mine was to tall (as commented before). Luckily with the 16' door, my motor was offset so not an issue. I did however have the track raised to the 20" radius.....allows vehicles to just clear the track on the side. I'm about 3" from being able to have the car all the way up and the door open all the way. I have hurricane bracing in the way, I could cut it or adjust the door to not open as much but so far it hasn't been an issue.

What do you think of the lift? Not bad for the money.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, thats close! Mine was to tall (as commented before). Luckily with the 16' door, my motor was offset so not an issue. I did however have the track raised to the 20" radius.....allows vehicles to just clear the track on the side. I'm about 3" from being able to have the car all the way up and the door open all the way. I have hurricane bracing in the way, I could cut it or adjust the door to not open as much but so far it hasn't been an issue.

What do you think of the lift? Not bad for the money.
Yea, I think it was $1500 + shipping of $150 to get it to a depot. Then I had the professional installer www.liftguy.com pick it up, deliver and install it for about $400.

I'm happy.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Yellowmann is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Yea, I think it was $1500 + shipping of $150 to get it to a depot. Then I had the professional installer www.liftguy.com pick it up, deliver and install it for about $400.

I'm happy.
Im looking at the same lift from the same place. I also have the same ceiling height. If the post sticks into the ceiling would that be a problem? Is there anything you suggest that you would have done or gotten differently?

TIA,
Charlie

Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
DT Marsh what is the ground clearance on the lift pads. I have a 997 GT3 and i have bout 3 to 3.5 inches to work with??

Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
psmd is infamous around these parts
Garage rails

Hey guys-

I also want to install a lift (have 10 foot ceilings) How does raising the rails on the garage door tracks work? Is it complicated? How does the door come forward?

Please advise.

Paul

Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 AM
ultgar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by psmd
Hey guys-

I also want to install a lift (have 10 foot ceilings) How does raising the rails on the garage door tracks work? Is it complicated? How does the door come forward?

Please advise.

Paul
You need to have a high lift kit installed with torsion springs. A jackshaft style operator is recommended to keep the installation clean.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
My ceiling is just shy of 10', and here's a pic with the Pantera on top, C4S below (as you can see plenty of room for the C4S). The track alteration was $400, installed, and was a replacment from the radius upward, including a new spring assembly. So as you see it in the pic, I can open the door and it clears the upper car easy.

Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by psmd
Hey guys-

Please advise.

Paul
You just need to remove the old radius track portion and replace with a larger radius portion. Unbolts and bolts the same as the one you have now, just will end up higher than the track you have now, so you may need to trim the stabilizer bar that holds the track from the ceiling.
Also better make sure your door opener is strong enough to lift the door now that it will travel up more than it did before and is "heavier" to the door

Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 AM
psmd is infamous around these parts
Where to buy larger radius tracks

Anyone have a good on line source to purchase these tracks with a larger radius? I have searched and cant find any so far.
Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 AM
what brand door? Mine's a Clopay and I still keep in touch with the local supplier, so he provided the parts and labor to change everything out......ran about $500. I would check your door and then call the local dealer, see what they can do for you.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Bif Powell is infamous around these parts
I'm about to buy this to put in my garage:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...atlas-nine.htm

Any recommendations away from this? I'm about to buy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage lift