Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Garage lift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
Garage lift

Anyone out there have a lift in their garage? Am looking for any suggestions you might have on manufacturer/brand. Need to create some space. Thanks for any advice or experience you might have.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned
Meister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sttjmk
Anyone out there have a lift in their garage? Am looking for any suggestions you might have on manufacturer/brand. Need to create some space. Thanks for any advice or experience you might have.
I've got a Team Lift in my garage. I like it better than the cheap Rotary lifts because the arms are angled. (the cheap Rotary lifts and off brands are very close together) This because when you open your door you have more room to get out. Some of the Rotary lifts are also wider to compensate for the door, but takes up a larger foot print in the garage.

I've got some friends with lifts in their garages, they have Rotary lifts, and to tell you the truth, they all work the same and are all pretty reliable. Just got to do your yearly maintenance and keep everything greased.

Side note: I also put some padding on the arms so you don't ding your doors when you open them.

Here is the link to my garage build: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97610

Last edited by Meister; 09-13-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of

We're in the same boat as my garage is 9' 4", as I posted on the 996T thread. What do you think of the link I posted there? Are you set on a 2post or 4post?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
Meister, thanks for the info.

DTMarsh -- I'll try to make a few phone calls tomorrow to see if the two poster style will give us more space. I'd really like to be able to get a Chevelle or GTO, or maybe a 409 Impala underneath my Turbo s. I figure a 60's vette or stang will work with a 2 post or 4 post because they aren't as tall, as long as i can get the right lock in height. I have seen 4 posters that lock in at 52 inches off the floor, or 55.375. I think I am going to need a custom height for the floor to platform clearance of about 53-54 inches to be able to fit a chevelle, or GTO underneath. I did see one manufacturer that offers custom clearances. If the 2 posters offer variable height, then the problem goes away, and I will have flexbility on wich car I buy next. Plus it will be easier to work on the car. Maybe I will build a wall to keep the kids away.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 PM
AMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond repute
i have a 4 post and a 2 post Rotary lifts.

top grade quality, very very quiet and dependable.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
993inNC is infamous around these parts
I just installed a Direct Lift 2 post from Greg Smith Equip (no affiliation) in my garage and I love it! Well made, USA made hydraulics and pretty sturdy.......and its BLACK! (happens to fit my color scheme in the garage). They say its a 9'3" but its a bit taller as I had to nibble some drywall and a hint of truss out from one area to make one side work (other side is within a vaulted ceiling area.)
bad camera pic and the garage isn't done so no crap from anyone

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 AM
24lemans is infamous around these parts
Sttjmk,
Do you have a link or name to the manufacturer that offers custom locking points?
Thanks.

Meister, thanks for the info.

DTMarsh -- I'll try to make a few phone calls tomorrow to see if the two poster style will give us more space. I'd really like to be able to get a Chevelle or GTO, or maybe a 409 Impala underneath my Turbo s. I figure a 60's vette or stang will work with a 2 post or 4 post because they aren't as tall, as long as i can get the right lock in height. I have seen 4 posters that lock in at 52 inches off the floor, or 55.375. I think I am going to need a custom height for the floor to platform clearance of about 53-54 inches to be able to fit a chevelle, or GTO underneath. I did see one manufacturer that offers custom clearances. If the 2 posters offer variable height, then the problem goes away, and I will have flexbility on wich car I buy next. Plus it will be easier to work on the car. Maybe I will build a wall to keep the kids away.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
hey 993 in NYC - is that lift secure enough to be able to hold it in the up position and store another car underneath for periods at a time? I've seen the backyard buddy type of lifts where the care is actually driven up onto planks and then lifted but I would want a lift that could be used for storage but also accessibility like to take the wheels off.

thanks for any help!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 AM
993inNC is infamous around these parts
Just like any other lift it has safety latches every 3 inches. It raises up to about 6' +, so I don't see why you couldn't park under it.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 AM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Backyard buddy lift

A few years ago I purchased a backyard buddy and I really like it. It has ramps that you can drive onto. It has a post @ each corner that doesn't get in the way when you detail. Detailing is a breeze with these lifts. I purchased a jack support that slides beneath the car and works very well with a bottle jack. In the winter, I drive the Porsche onto the lift, place it in the air, drive my wife's Jag below, place both on a trickle charger and take both off the insurance for the winter. The only snag is that it requires a height of 9'6''. (I think) So we store the cars @ my inlaws until we purchase a new home, with a higher ceiling. This lift also allows you to step beneath to detail the rims from the "dirty" side of the rim.

Last edited by RAY in Pa.; 09-26-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
My garage is 9'10" and I'm using a Eagle Equipment SS7000 and love it. (4Post drive-on). I'm able to store the Pantera up top, with the 996 below.......or my sons 05'GTO. Hands down the best thing I've bought for the garage. (Lifetime waranty, none of that cheap overseas stuff).

For any suspension work I just slide the jacking tray under the area, and have (2) Fat/wide 40Ton jacks to push it up a bit. (But plan on getting their scissor attachment next year for it)

I did though, have my door track altered with a 36" radius, so the tracks now come up much higher and hug the ceiling by just a few inches.

(Frank, we need ya back here to arrange those mt drives again!)

Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM
powerdna is infamous around these parts
2 Post Lift Option

I have the same height issues that some of you have. I have about 9'6" of height but the 4 post lifts I have looked at all have locks 4" to high. I am looking at a 2 post lift as well. Has anyone had any issues with 2-3 month storage on a 2 post? I am looking at a Rotary Lift, as I have a local dealer/installer. I have heard that storage on a 2 post can create suspension issues? Any truth to that?

Thanks Andrew

Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Powerdna......... I'm not really sure that the 2-Post is a good idea for a "storage" solution because of the dropped suspension..... Question. Can you use the 4-post (like I do), just that you would not be able to use a few of the upper locking steps.

The attached pic I just took, and I have a good 8" above the Pantera, with (2) locks remaining. (Actually you can also see the track modification on the lift-side and how much higher it is than a normal door track).

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
powerdna is infamous around these parts
I looked at the 4 post solution but Rotary's locks are at 63" which is two high for the Porsche (Above) / Mercedes (Below) . I am trying to fit a third car in the garage for the winter. I cannot add on because of lot restriction issues, and we are building a new home soon which will allow for plenty of space. What brand lift do you have? What are the locks at?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 AM
On the pic you see, I've got 59" clear using 3rd lock from top, if i drop it down one take -4.5" off. (which I can still but the C4S under with no problem)

Mine is a EagleEquip SS7000. Think it was just over 3K. (Lifetime waranty, comes in red, blue, black...... you can get with 12v, 120v or 220v....no charge for any). Aluminum ramps and drip pans.

Took me about 4hrs to assemble.

How tall is the Merc?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage lift