GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked

I am just somewhat curious how many people out there have done full track prep with roll cage and racing slicks. And how many people track it and drive it on the road versus how many solely drive it on the street.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
sheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura about
I've done the track suspension setup, roll cage, cup car seats/harnesses, GMG exhaust.....I do both track and street use

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I hope more than this forum indicates, there are more "GT3 Photo Shoots" than anything around here lately.

But in all honestly, the overall # is a small amount, larger than most cars, and FAR FAR larger than any other luxury sport makers. You'll find GT3's and TT's at PCA events around the country, lots of them!!!! But still only around 8-10% will ever track, and that's being generous.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I hope more than this forum indicates, there are more "GT3 Photo Shoots" than anything around here lately.

But in all honestly, the overall # is a small amount, larger than most cars, and FAR FAR larger than any other luxury sport makers. You'll find GT3's and TT's at PCA events around the country, lots of them!!!! But still only around 8-10% will ever track, and that's being generous.
Go over to RL and 90% of the owners over there track in some way. And you probably know better than most that since the beginning (rather since i've been here) 6speed has always been more about high hp cars than low track times.

To to OP for now mine will see about 40% track.

Last edited by CarNerd; 08-06-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yeah, I know, Rennlist has a bunch of track guys, but the large majority of them are older models, older model racers, cup car guys etc. Porsche is by far the best track marquee in the country (maybe the world) from a dealership support network and track community. And for the average cost of Porsches, that is pretty astounding.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Yeah, I know, Rennlist has a bunch of track guys, but the large majority of them are older models, older model racers, cup car guys etc. Porsche is by far the best track marquee in the country (maybe the world) from a dealership support network and track community. And for the average cost of Porsches, that is pretty astounding.
That's true. Most likely b/c running costs for a GT3 (6 or 7) is optimistically around 1k per track day depending on how good you are, tire/fuel/rotor/pad choice, etc... Even so, lately there have been more and more 6 GT3 guys tracking with costs dropping so low.

Last edited by CarNerd; 08-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
That's true. Most likely b/c running costs for a GT3 (6 or 7) is optimistically around 1k per track day depending on how good you are, tire/fuel/rotor/pad choice, etc... Even so, lately there have been more and more 6 GT3 guys tracking with costs dropping so low.

Very true, the cost of admission for a GT3 is pretty high, but after that, just gas, keep your brakes/oil maintainted and go. And if you DIY, changing pads and rotors is a sinch. You'll only likely have to replace rotors 2x a year if you do 8 or so events, and pads likely 3 or 4 times. That's not bad at all.

Tires will depend on what kind you get. But even they should last you 3 events.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I will do 15 or so track days this year in my 996-3

I have done bar, harnesses, seats, track tires (MPSC right now), susp, etc..

buying a GT3 and not tracking it is a crime... imho

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by PJS

Total +1 unless you live in the mountains and can abuse remote mountain roads on a daily basis, so that eliminates 99% of the population.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Not sure I understand the point of the question(s). I think you'll find a significant proportion of GT3s which are bog standard but still see half a dozen or more HPDE--type track days every year. And the occasional photo shoot too. I also take mine to Safeway every now and then, but it's just to show off.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 AM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
well...there was this one time at thunderhill where i saw so many gt3s!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
X2!!!!

I have 22k miles on mine. 1/2 track 1/2 street. Drive it everyday to work, plus do 40+ days a year on track. Only mods are safety gear, rear toes links, front drop links, protosport slotted front rotors, pagid rs-19/29s, and a couple sets of CCWs with hoosiers

Originally Posted by CarNerd
That's true. Most likely b/c running costs for a GT3 (6 or 7) is optimistically around 1k per track day depending on how good you are, tire/fuel/rotor/pad choice, etc...
Right on target. Costs about 1k a day for consumables/events fees/hotel/etc. Does not include depreciation or mods

Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
greygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to allgreygt3 is a name known to all
My car spends 90% of it's time at the track. Driven on the street occasionally.
I've done rollbar,seats,belts,wheels,tires,rotors,suspension .

To only drive this car on the street is a beating and a shame. It loves the track.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
I'm glad to see these answers as I love the GT3 and it's good to hear these cars are driven like they were meant to be. And honestly I'm learning that more people than I thought are tracking them.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS

I thought that the T in GT3 meant Track

I don't have a GT3 (wish I did) but I am installing Bar, Seats, and Harnesses on Monday. I already improved the suspension, and want to do a few more mods in the future (brakes, LSD, Flywheel). Will be on the track at least 12 times this year.

Last edited by NorthVan; 08-07-2008 at 08:02 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked