Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally

After searching for options to haul R compound tires to the track, I have concluded that the rear bumper bracket hitch mount shown below is not a good idea for both safety and legal reasons. Why? First of all, towing hitch are suppose to mount directly to the body to ensure maximum structural rigidity while towing. While our front and rear bumper brackets have receiver for towing hook and rated to at least handle the weight of the car but it is not meant for handling stress from towing and it is not tested or rated for towing either.

We all seen trucks with hitch receiving ball mounted on rear bumper. They are not rated for towing anything heavy for long distance due to risk of ripping off the rear bumper assembly. While the rear bumper hitch shown below may work 99% of the time towing a light weight hitch with couple tires but that one time you hit a road defect on the freeway just might generate enough momentum (mass X speed) or force (mass x change in speed) to snap the hitch or break the rear bumper bracket sending your tailer/bumper to the unlucky vehicle behind you. I don't think my umbrella policy can cover multi vehicle crash caused by my untested illegal home made hitch - worst yet what will happen if people are hurt? My legal minded friends took a look at this hitch - while ingenious - told me to run the other way and never use it to tow anything on the road.

The same can be said about a tire falling off a roof rack if you chose to tow it that way. But a roof rack had been tested and rated at certain weight. Your lawyer will have an easier time defending the accident since ropes may break but at least you are using a legally tested device meant to haul goods from point A to B.

Last edited by mikymu; 12-17-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
All I can say is OMG!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 AM
ErikG is infamous around these parts
I think you'll be okay. I've been looking at them myself. I've seen 2 versions used for a long time, both successful without any issues. First version had a tow ball welded onto the tow hook, which was just installed whenever needed (that's the version that I'm looking into). Used for years without incident. Of course this version would only work on the newer cars that have the towhook hole in the center, not the older cars that have the towhook off center Second version was a piece of steel angle bolted between the bumperettes. The bumperettes were on either a Boxter or 993, and they could be removed with 1 little bolt. Then the steel angle with ball would just bolt onto the bumperet brackets (a hole had already been drilled into the brackets). I'm just not sure if on our car the bumperettes are that easy to remove.

Either way, I think your version looks just fine. Tire/toolbox trailer is not very heavy, weighs a lot less then for example a jet ski, and I see every possible car with the most puny tow hooks pull those all over FL

Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! That is cool! Need a big carbon wing on the trailer though

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
RT-TURBO is infamous around these parts
differnt stokes

I think the wings come standard on all 2010 models. I'd just like to be there when he pulls in and watch everyones faces. Actually kudos to a guy that wants to track his car and has come up with what is most certainly a unique way of doing so.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ErikG
I think you'll be okay. I've been looking at them myself. I've seen 2 versions used for a long time, both successful without any issues. First version had a tow ball welded onto the tow hook, which was just installed whenever needed (that's the version that I'm looking into). Used for years without incident. Of course this version would only work on the newer cars that have the towhook hole in the center, not the older cars that have the towhook off center Second version was a piece of steel angle bolted between the bumperettes. The bumperettes were on either a Boxter or 993, and they could be removed with 1 little bolt. Then the steel angle with ball would just bolt onto the bumperet brackets (a hole had already been drilled into the brackets). I'm just not sure if on our car the bumperettes are that easy to remove.

Either way, I think your version looks just fine. Tire/toolbox trailer is not very heavy, weighs a lot less then for example a jet ski, and I see every possible car with the most puny tow hooks pull those all over FL
I have no doubt any Jerry rigged hitch can handle the light trailer and couple tires but my concern is that our rear bumper bracket is not meant to handle this type of towing and it is not tested either. We will be at great risk if some how the hitch detach and cause accident. CHP and ambulance chaser love to stick it to a GT3 owner if they find out you are not using a properly chassis mounted tow hitch

Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i can't believe you're considering trailering something with the gt3. that's hardcore hillbilly!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
i can't believe you're considering trailering something with the gt3. that's hardcore hillbilly!

Those flies that buzz around you on the track are from my hamp T-shirt

I thought about hanging up my RS for Christmas decoration too ....

I really don't want to buy a truck and trailer just to haul my hooter track tires

Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu

Those flies that buzz around you on the track are from my hamp T-shirt

I thought about hanging up my RS for Christmas decoration too ....

I really don't want to buy a truck and trailer just to haul my hooter track tires

Having a truck and trailer makes more sense IMO, it allows you to go home at the end of the day regardless of the condition of your track car. A friend of mine put two wheels in the dirt one day and ripped his radiator hose off his 996TT. He got the car in his trailer and home, there aren't many Porsche radiator hoses in the middle of Oregon!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Having a truck and trailer makes more sense IMO, it allows you to go home at the end of the day regardless of the condition of your track car. A friend of mine put two wheels in the dirt one day and ripped his radiator hose off his 996TT. He got the car in his trailer and home, there aren't many Porsche radiator hoses in the middle of Oregon!

+1. plus you save miles on the odo by not driving the car to/from the track which is typically more miles than the miles you do at the track. if only i had the space to park a trailer at home...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
+1. plus you save miles on the odo by not driving the car to/from the track which is typically more miles than the miles you do at the track. if only i had the space to park a trailer at home...
I have a 4 car garage and still no space for another tow vehicle. Wife's shoes takes up most of the space lol.

Yes, a truck and real hitch makes sense one I go fast like speedoflight but that is couple years down the road. Will get a real GT3 cup car then I will have to get a tow party going

A hummer towing vehicle maybe a good idea

Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
I have a 4 car garage and still no space for another tow vehicle. Wife's shoes takes up most of the space lol.

Yes, a truck and real hitch makes sense one I go fast like speedoflight but that is couple years down the road. Will get a real GT3 cup car then I will have to get a tow party going

A hummer towing vehicle maybe a good idea

having a trailer will immediately make you go faster 'cos you don't have to worry about a ride home in case something happens at the track.
of course, i want you to buy one so you can haul hooters for me.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
having a trailer will immediately make you go faster 'cos you don't have to worry about a ride home in case something happens at the track.
of course, i want you to buy one so you can haul hooters for me.
Hey Joe, trailer maybe coming sooner than later. These GT3 cup car price are dropping like rocks. I was hoping to throw my hooter girls on your trailer

Check out these cup cars on rennlist

2005 GT3 Cup $109K

2000 GT3 Cup $50K

2005 GT3 Cup $119K

Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Thank you. Hell remove the deck lid and install a goose neck.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Azzurri is infamous around these parts
Putting a trailer hitch on a GT3 will work, and since yours is silver, all the duct tape you use to make sure it stays attached will blend right in. Seriously, is this a joke or have we made the full transition to bizzarro world?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally