Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why would anyone buy a GT3 over a GT3RS (other than money)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
Why would anyone buy a GT3 over a GT3RS (other than money)

If money isn't an issue, why would someone pass on an RS and get a GT3?

Sorry for the philosophical questions but this has been on my mind.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2010, 12:26 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
If money wasnt a consideration i doubt anyone would.

But the main reasons would be:
Door handles
They dont like the RS wing...or the stickers(can be removed thou) or the front fenders
they drive on narrow streets so prefer the narrower body

Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
For me money was the biggest factor for my 08 but I also wanted a street ride and found myself more partial to the looks of a non RS, the wing most importantly, just wish the non RS rear was as wide as a RS

Old 05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
The wing on your 997.1 GT3 is the best Porsche wing ever made in my opinion...

Sammyrusso, the driving on narrow streets is a stretch...

Old 05-09-2010, 01:59 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe driving on narrow streets does not make sense, but how about parking lots? I have parking my car between other cars, I'm always afraid that someone will dent it...

The regular GT3 is more subtle, maybe some people prefer it. Also on the new gen RS, the color choices are very limited...

Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
Maybe driving on narrow streets does not make sense, but how about parking lots? I have parking my car between other cars, I'm always afraid that someone will dent it...
Parking spaces... wouldnt you be parking way away from everyone else anyway?

I hate parking next to anonymous Joe's who ding you because they are not paying attention, or because they are jealous...

Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 12:03
Parking spaces... wouldnt you be parking way away from everyone else anyway?

I hate parking next to anonymous Joe's who ding you because they are not paying attention, or because they are jealous...
Trust me, I always find a more secluded place to park. But sometimes there isn't any! I go back and forth to park evenly on both sides

With an RS, especially the new one, both fenders are wider so more probability of a ding...

Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
prodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the rough
I would say one big factor is that the RS is further less refined and more suited to be on the track whereas the 3 can be used on a daily basis.

In addition i think one thing that may influence the decision is driver skill level and understanding you do not neccesarily need to get the most hardcore version to have fun and reach the limit.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by prodrive0
I would say one big factor is that the RS is further less refined and more suited to be on the track whereas the 3 can be used on a daily basis.

In addition i think one thing that may influence the decision is driver skill level and understanding you do not neccesarily need to get the most hardcore version to have fun and reach the limit.
Thinking about this myself. Love both but I would spend most of my time on the street and little if any on the track. With this in mind the non RS may actually be a better choice.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 PM
prodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Thinking about this myself. Love both but I would spend most of my time on the street and little if any on the track. With this in mind the non RS may actually be a better choice.
For me if i was in this situation, my deciding factor would be how much time will this car see at the track, if it is only a few times a year with the rest of the miles coming from canyon drives or daily driving I would choose the GT3 purely because i would rather give the opportunity to someone else who is going to track the RS on a multiple time basis per month or what not and use the car in its natural habitat, the track. However this is just my personal view, good luck with your decision

Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
This is what I am looking for. What about the RS makes it less refined? What about it makes it LESS street worthy than the GT3?

For me if i was in this situation, my deciding factor would be how much time will this car see at the track, if it is only a few times a year with the rest of the miles coming from canyon drives or daily driving I would choose the GT3 purely because i would rather give the opportunity to someone else who is going to track the RS on a multiple time basis per month or what not and use the car in its natural habitat, the track. However this is just my personal view, good luck with your decision
I find your altruism interesting. You would take the GT3 so someone ELSE could have an RS???

And they say chivalry is dead...

Last edited by 12:03; 05-09-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
Every car has it's purpose

Money was one of my factors

The other one is it is the 997.1 is less in your face. People at work just think it's a normal 997......until I start it and set off car alarms thanks to sharkwerks

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by 12:03
This is what I am looking for. What about the RS makes it less refined? What about it makes it LESS street worthy than the GT3?
Well I can't give you a personal observation as I do not own either, however from what I have read is that the RS has less sound deadening material, the suspension is firmer, up to this point where they offered the air lift system the ground clearance, and I am sure there are more but you would have to have someone who owns one to point them out.

Personally those types of factors wouldn't bother me, however I see that most people who own an RS also have a different dd that is a little softer and better focused on street conditions as well as other factors.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM
rost12 is infamous around these parts
- Because RS is mostly for the track and the GT3 is, IMHO, the best street-focused Porsche made today.

- Because I didn't have a choice (no RS allocations available, and did not want to pay "flippers").

- Because I'm gonna feel like enough of a ****** driving a white GT3 around

Old 05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Purpose and aesthetics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone buy a GT3 over a GT3RS (other than money)