Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Turbo 997c2s or 997 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Turbo 997c2s or 997 gt3

Good evening ladies and gents, long time lurker here, first time poster.

I am actively seeking my first p-car coming from a long stint with supras, nsx's and Lexus vehicles. I am not a race track driver by any means, and I do not see myself regularly taking the trips to lime rock. I enjoy driving my cars with the intent of daily use or weekend trips.

That being said, I also enjoy power. Useable power. I have been stalking the net looking for the best thing to meet my desires. From what I have read, the 997 GT3 is an absolute thrill out of the box, with very little left to be modified. I LOVE the look of the GT3 as well. Most of the owners seem to have ear to ear smiles no matter what the situation.

My question is, this being a forum of what seems to be comprised of those who entered their first p-car in the c2/4 market- then stepped up to turbo/gt2/3. Would I be better off with a c2s with an aero package + a TPC raging turbo kit? OR a stock 997 gt3?
The funds between the two options are not the issue...(but i do plan on taking advantage of the price drops recently) more or less do I take a track car to get milk and eggs? Or do I modify the lesser car to get the thrill of the gt3?
Owner please chime in, is the GT3 something you'd use to run around town, have spirited drives, and genuinely enjoy on the street, all while feeding your needs as a drivers car?

Or

Would you leave the track car at the dealer and modify the more comfortable car to be as spirited?

Thank you for your time

EC

Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I wouldn't touch a turboed C2S. You're better off with a real 997 Turbo or GT3. A modded C2S still won't give you the thrill of a GT3. There's a few guys on this forum who thought it would, but ended up selling their modded Carrera for a GT3 anyway.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like ill be out looking for a gt3.
Is there any tips for purchasing cpo? i normally purchase directly off a lease, never been a fan of depreciation, especially seeing how much these cars drop in two years time.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Why don't you also take at a look at the 997.1 turbos? They should be in the same price range as most used mk.1 3's.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 PM
You bring up a great point, ive always been one to stop in my tracks at the sight of a turbo. Absolutely beautiful machines. Compared to a 997.1 gt3, whats more of a chore to maintain?
I will most likely be keeping the car for a while and driving it often.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ExactlyCake
You bring up a great point, ive always been one to stop in my tracks at the sight of a turbo. Absolutely beautiful machines. Compared to a 997.1 gt3, whats more of a chore to maintain?
I will most likely be keeping the car for a while and driving it often.
The turbo is a much more complex GT, where the GT3 is a pared down corner carving brawler. Both cars are built like tanks but the turbo has the added complexity of All-wheel-drive, turbo system, etc. All these items add to maintenance costs in the long run.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I have had 996TT, 993 C2, and now am in a 997 GT3.1. All great cars and all with lots of fun to be had.

I have to say that even though people talk about maintenance as long as you don't break them (or go down the mod route) I find little difference between them in the ownership costs.

The Turbo will not disappoint, scary fast right out of the box but more in the "Grand Touring" category in my opinion. But, you can canyon carve with the best of them. If you like an exhaust wail, the turbos mute the sound somewhat so you won't get that aural excitement, although the turbo has a mean sound of its own.

The GT3 is completely visceral and much more raw as a machine. Clutch is not assisted, less insulation, lighter. And while short of Turbo absolute thrust it still has plenty of power and torque. I am amazed when I drive mine to work and it has cup holders with a hot latte (not really, skinny vanilla) and I just leave the thing in 3rd gear go around the corner and run up and down the 7 or so thousand meaningful RPM you can use.

Beware that I have seen people go to loud in cars (like the GT3) or loud in exhaust (even on a turbo) and say they like it for the first three months and then regret the decision trying to live with it on a daily basis. Supra (depending upon the mod level) NSX and Lexus in particular are a long way from the GT3.........

Having said that with any of these cars you really can't loose, even the old standard Carerra........except to say do not after market turbo or supercharge.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I would throw my $.02 in for anyone facing this decision. I had a 997.1 C4S Cab and recently sold it to go on the hunt for a 997.1 TT. However, after test driving both, I have to say the GT3 is the more fun car. I do not use my P machines as DD's, so I like the gnarly note of the GT3 over the more sedate TT. I am about to pull the trigger on a GT3 this week and could not be more excited. I agree that I would not turbo mod an S or 4S. Those type of mods don't sell well when you are ready to trade out. Again, just my $.02.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
Good luck with purchase, Scooter!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
My purchase fell through this week. Back to the hunt!